Military Diet.

Options
Have anyone here tired the nmilitary diet and if so does it work for you? Here is the diet. its suppose to help you lose up to 10lbs a week and DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. i think im going to try it
DAY 1:
Breakfast
1/2 Grapefruit
1 Slice of Toast
2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter
1 cup Coffee or Tea (with caffeine)

Lunch
1/2 Cup of Tuna
1 Slice of Toast
1 cup Coffee or Tea (with caffeine
Dinner
3 ounces of any type of meat
1 cup of green beans
1/2 banana
1 small apple
1 cup of vanilla ice cream

DAY 2
Breakfast
1 egg
1 slice of toast
1/2 banana

Lunch
1 cup of cottage cheese
1 hard boiled egg
5 saltine crackers

Dinner
2 hot dogs (without bun)
1 cup of broccoli
1/2 cup of carrots
1/2 banana
1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream

DAY 3
Breakfast
5 saltine crackers
1 slice of cheddar cheese
1 small apple

Lunch
1 hard boiled egg (or cooked however you like)
1 slice of toast

Dinner
1 cup of tuna
1/2 banana
1 cup of vanilla ice cream

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There isn't a quick fix and you don't need to attempt to do a diet. Most severely restrict food, it can't be maintained, you go off the diet, and you regain the weight. It's the definition of yo-yo dieting.

Try lasting changes that you can sustain.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I was in the military and even in boot camp we ate at least twice that. You may lose weight, but it will be mostly water and you'll gain it back when you stop. For me that diet would make me binge eat when I stopped it.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    That's not a military diet.

If you want a military diet, fry everything, have heavy portions of rice and instant mashed potatoes, find the fattiest cuts of beef and chicken, put cheese and bacon in all your canned veggies that you have boiled the nutrients out of, don't eat any fresh produce or milk, and eat store brand TV dinners that are 3 weeks past expiration date for 6 months straight every 18 months.

When not trying to simulate MREs with TV dinners, have tacos every Tuesday and burgers every Friday.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I tried a diet very much like this many years ago, in fact it's so similar it seems just repackaged.

I was constantly hungry, irritable and even though I did lose a little bit of weight I put it all back on plus some after I finished (because I was a) ravenous and b) felt like i'd been deprived and deserved the good stuff).

I'd totally recommend just having a good clean diet with a moderate deficit - for me it's been the BIGGEST amount of weight lost and KEPT OFF!!

Good luck :)
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I started the real military diet back in 1991. You know, the one where you march, run, and do calisthenics, and eat enough to fuel that activity level.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lose 10lbs a week? It certainly wouldn't be fat loss.....that would require a caloric deficit of 35,000 cal (or 5,000 per day on average) which would exceed the amount of energy expended by most adults by a fact of of 2 or 3.

These fad diets have been floating around (under a variety of names) for years. Highly restrictive and unsustainable. Stick to the basics, a nutritious, well balanced diet with a good variety of foods and a modest caloric deficit.

I started the real military diet back in 1991. You know, the one where you march, run, and do calisthenics, and eating enough to fuel that activity level.

Me too (but back in the mid '70s). I went from a scrawny 170 lb kid to 203 lbs with a 32" waist in about 6 months.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yeah... NO.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Yeah... NO.
    :angry:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great advice given here. Skip the fad diets - they are temporary, rarely successful, certainly not sustainable or all that healthy.

Use the tools here at My Fitness Pal - they work great! Enter your info and goals accurately and realistically. Eat your calories! Remember that goal means GOAL - something to strive for, achieve, a target to hit, not a mark to fall well short of. Log your food and your exercise (eating back exercise cals because that's how MFP works), drink water, take rest days, get good sleep and have patience.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This and other similar versions have been around for a very long time. It goes by misleading names like the Military Diet (as people with military experience already pointed out this isn't anything close to what the military would do), the AHA Diet, the Birmingham Hospial diet. Even the Cardiac diet. People claim this is what hospitals give to patients who need to drop weight fast for surgery although none of the hospitals used actually use it. Some have even released statements to clarify they do not use or endorse this. The AHA (American Heart Association) has as well.

Bottom line, it's just a very low calorie food plan dressed up with a name to sound legit. I would avoid it at all costs. Most of the weight you will lose will be water weight which will come back when you eat normal.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Just to chime in as a 10 year veteran of the US Army. As a 6' tall male, I ate roughly 5000 calories a day and maintained my weight at 160 lbs. A single MRE has close to 2500 calories in it.

I find the principals of this diet laughable and the name bordering on disrespectful.

Airborne, all the way!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I started the real military diet back in 1991. You know, the one where you march, run, and do calisthenics, and eat enough to fuel that activity level.

QFT
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Uuummm...NO!!!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    That sounds terrible....
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    That's not a military diet.

If you want a military diet, fry everything, put cheese and bacon in all your veggies, and eat store brand TV dinners that are 3 weeks past expiration date for 6 months straight.

:laugh:

And lots of chicken wings. At least that's what my ex-military boyfriend told me.

Back to your post OP: the food looks good, but the quantity looks like too little. I'd be super hangry and wouldn't be able to stick to it long before I gave up. Why not just track your calories with a reasonable defecit instead? It's been working for many of us!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Temporary changes yield temporary results.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQY68tU8WO6AHGT4M-2YWDmRtQgMZxv_VoQVct-VEwNe6owx1dCLw
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Mmm, this look like the diet I had when I was starving myself at 500 calories a day, except I skipped breakfast. I lost a couple pounds, sure... but I also lost a lot of hair, and my skin looked grayish. My heart rate dropped to 40 beats a minute, and I blacked out all the time.

But it was worth it (sarcasm). Good luck with that.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    From what I've been told by my veteran boyfriend, military diets consist largely of grey cafeteria food and reconstituted mashed potatoes
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Not even when Soldiers are flagged for exceeding height and weight are they ever put on something like this. They do remedial PT and see a nutritionist. But the inaccurate name is not really the point. Everyone is going to tell you this won't work. Truth is, it will. You may lose several lbs in a week doing this. BUT ... how long will you be able to maintain it? For a week, sure, people have done worse, but over time you will not have enough fuel for your body. So the reason it doesn't work is because once you go back to eating what you did before, you'll gain it back. Possibly more because you may feel really deprived. And you will go back to what you were eating before because a week long change isn't enough to develop new habits. If you like the structure of a diet like this, that's fine but please do some research and ensure proper caloric intake before you build it. If you can't imagine yourself eating that way for as long as you want to stay fit, or forever for most of us, it's not the plan for you. I wish you luck in finding what works for you. Trust me, I know what you feel because I'm still trying to find what works for me ... now that I'm Army Retired and can't eat 3,000 cals a day and stay fit. :flowerforyou: