Military Diet.

Options

Replies

• kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree with every military and not military. this isn't a "military" diet and is disrespectful to those that have served. eat decent portions of good foods and exercise regularly. calories in vs calories out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The problem is sustainability...losing weight takes a long time...months and often years...if you don't have a sustainable plan, you are doomed to failure. Also, you basically learn nothing with fad diets...all you learn is deprivation...you don't actually learn how to properly fuel your body for your activity...what a portion of something for you is, etc. Yes, fad diets are easy and you often see quick results...but you rarely maintain those results. If you want to maintain successfully you will need to learn a thing or two about proper nutrition and fitness.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    That's nowhere near what I ate in the military. In boot camp our day was in the neighborhood of 5-6000 calories, In A-school it was closer to 4000, and at my first station it was back up to about 5000.

What you have listed there doesn't resemble the "diet" anywhere I went while in the military. Maybe you should just consider a reasonable calorie deficit and exercise some patients.

Rigger
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    That's not a military diet.

If you want a military diet, fry everything, have heavy portions of rice and instant mashed potatoes, find the fattiest cuts of beef and chicken, put cheese and bacon in all your canned veggies that you have boiled the nutrients out of, don't eat any fresh produce or milk, and eat store brand TV dinners that are 3 weeks past expiration date for 6 months straight every 18 months.

When not trying to simulate MREs with TV dinners, have tacos every Tuesday and burgers every Friday.

You forgot Chicken surprise!! and powdered eggs! :)
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    No, this sounds horrible and even if you do lose ten pounds it will be water weight and will woosh right back on once you start eating normally. In fact, you'll probably start bingeing on all the foods you restricted once the diet is over and actually end up gaining weight. Don't do this. Just eat at a sensible, sustainable deficit. You're only fooling yourself by thinking your weight issues are going to be solved with a quick fix fad diet.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    LOL@everyone pointing out the real version of military diet! My hubby always complains SO much about the food while he's underway!!

That's definitely a ridiculous diet to try, just eat within your deficit calorie limits, and maybe try going for a walk/jog or join a gym if that's your thing. All that diet is going to do is make you really hangry! Not good.
  • jzwilliams23
    Options
    so i did calorie count of all the foods listes by portion and u would be just sratving ur self. nope this aint for me. like u all said if u lose it its gonna come back if not with more. my cousin did this so that she can met her weight restrictions to get into the military. Though she made it i dont think that this is healthy looking at the calorie count.
  • jzwilliams23
    Options
    also i dont think this is a REAL military diet. I think this is used by people that didnt met the weight requirments and need to lost weight fast
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

If you want a military diet, fry everything, have heavy portions of rice and instant mashed potatoes, find the fattiest cuts of beef and chicken, put cheese and bacon in all your canned veggies that you have boiled the nutrients out of, don't eat any fresh produce or milk, and eat store brand TV dinners that are 3 weeks past expiration date for 6 months straight every 18 months.

When not trying to simulate MREs with TV dinners, have tacos every Tuesday and burgers every Friday.

This is truth. That's the real military diet. Oh, and lots of alcohol.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no clue why they call this a "military diet". As for members being outside of PRT standards, it is actually against the UCMJ to force any diet on an individual. They can make they workout 10 times a day, but can't stop them from shoving food in thier mouth. This is with the exception of feild MREs, but everyone is eating those, not just those out of standards.

Most active duty military look good physically beacuse the job requires pleanty of physical activity as well as near 24 hour access to a multitude of fitness options. It has nothing to do with intake and all about the burn.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Have anyone here tired the nmilitary diet and if so does it work for you? Here is the diet. its suppose to help you lose up to 10lbs a week and DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. i think im going to try it
    DAY 1:
    Breakfast
    1/2 Grapefruit
    1 Slice of Toast
    2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter
    1 cup Coffee or Tea (with caffeine)

Lunch
    1/2 Cup of Tuna
    1 Slice of Toast
    1 cup Coffee or Tea (with caffeine
    Dinner
    3 ounces of any type of meat
    1 cup of green beans
    1/2 banana
    1 small apple
    1 cup of vanilla ice cream

DAY 2
    Breakfast
    1 egg
    1 slice of toast
    1/2 banana

Lunch
    1 cup of cottage cheese
    1 hard boiled egg
    5 saltine crackers

Dinner
    2 hot dogs (without bun)
    1 cup of broccoli
    1/2 cup of carrots
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream

DAY 3
    Breakfast
    5 saltine crackers
    1 slice of cheddar cheese
    1 small apple

Lunch
    1 hard boiled egg (or cooked however you like)
    1 slice of toast

Dinner
    1 cup of tuna
    1/2 banana
    1 cup of vanilla ice cream

There is absolutely nothing special about the diet, except that it is calorie restricted. I think with a bit of planning every single MFP member could do better than that in terms of sustainability and making their diet more interesting. And losing up to 10 pounds a week .....well, only very naive people believe that.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    it's not called a military diet because thats what they actually eat in the military. they call it that as sort of a nod to it being intense and difficult. in any case, dont do it. sounds very unhealthy and who wants that much canned tuna? yuck! lol
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yeah...horrible idea.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just in the interest of disagreeing with everyone, a quick eyeball seems like this would have a good macronutrient profile, lots of healthy fats and proteins, veggies, decent carbs. Double or triple the quantities and if you're the type of person who can eat the same things day after day (I'm one of them), this actually isn't half bad.

Just make sure to double or triple the amount.
  • MissKriss3
    MissKriss3 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I doubt anyone in the military eats this
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I tried a long time ago...lost 7 pounds. Gained it all back the next week. Horrible idea.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When I was in the military I ate approximately the same amount of calories for breakfast as that diet suggests for a whole day.
    Immediately afterwards I walked my *kitten* to the motorpool/CONEX yard and proceeded to do 6-8 hours of manual labor moving boxes of medical equipment and supplies and performing maintenance on Tanks.

Every. Damn. Day.

That breakfast wouldn't have gotten me through morning formation without my stomach growling.
    Military diet, my *kitten*.
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I started the real military diet back in 1991. You know, the one where you march, run, and do calisthenics, and eat enough to fuel that activity level.
    DITTO

This is truth. That's the real military diet. Oh, and lots of alcohol.
    QFT
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    it's not called a military diet because thats what they actually eat in the military. they call it that as sort of a nod to it being intense and difficult.

Totally. I can see this being just as mentally demanding as getting up at 0300 (on about 4 hours of sleep) and marching 10 miles to the firing range with a 40lb rucksack, spending all day qualifying with different weapons and drilling tactics, then marching 10 miles home. Oh, wait..:huh:
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    it's not called a military diet because thats what they actually eat in the military. they call it that as sort of a nod to it being intense and difficult.

Totally. I can see this being just as mentally demanding as getting up at 0300 (on about 4 hours of sleep) and marching 10 miles to the firing range with a 40lb rucksack, spending all day qualifying with different weapons and drilling tactics, then marching 10 miles home. Oh, wait..:huh:

Ah, I fondly remember easy days like this one. Range days were always chill. Everyone had time to eat lunch and if you qualified the first time, there usually was time for some BS time with the boys.