New Clothes, New You? Or Not

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What ever you do dont do what I did...finally donate all the too big clothes. Were talking about 6 garbage bags full then go and get knocked up shortly after that. Really ruins what you can wear.

I'm just hoping I'll be able to drop enough baby weight to get back into the smaller sizes otherwise it'll be maternity clothes for a very long time, LOL!
  • asreyes8022
    Options
    I have always liked trendy styles but found myself buying them for my sister or my niece since they are the perfect size to wear the clothes I like. I have found that I have actually been buying for myself now. My old standard was a very loose XL mens graphic T-shirt with a colored cardigan. Now I am comfortable wearing more fitted tops that show off my weight loss. My personal goal is to be able to buy some super cute calf boots and not feel like I am "too fat" to look good in them. I can't wait to buy some more fashionable stuff for myself. Not there yet.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was smart enough hold on to few of the smaller sizes (14/16). Now I am wearing them. I am really in between sizes but my smaller version of the larger size (16) are do able in most case. Some of my large 16s and 14Ws I have had altered. I don't like the way my 1x tops and coat fits. Also to save on money, I got some clothes from a cousin who has lost weight. She gave me her size 14 skirts which fit me just right.

It really helps to wear clothes that fit the new you. This helps you and others see change.

I hope this helps.

My 1X winter coat is too big on me, but I can't afford a new one. I figure this way I can wear lots of layers under it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I've found myself wearing clothes I wore at uni 21 years ago. :laugh:
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I dropped from a size 26/28 and am currently about a 14/16. I bought a lot of summer casual stuff at the end of summers sale (but I live in AZ, so that end of summer sales seem silly but it helped as I literally swam in all my old clothes) I also picked up some stuff in thrift/consignment stores when I needed actual clothes for a trip to NJ. I just pick up stuff as I need it, and my style has definitely changed as I lost weight. Pre weight loss, it was all about the cover up, tunic shirts to cover the stomach, etc... now I can wear normal length shirts and leggings. I would have never worn leggings out of the house before the weight loss, at least without a shirt long enough to cover my rear and stomach
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I definitely changed! I have a more grown up style now that I'm no longer too fat for fitted outfits. I noticed that I stopped wearing so many flowy skirts too, now I rock leopard pencil skirts!
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A few years ago (my highest weight was almost 100 lb over my current weight), I would not have worn this getup. I would have felt like my legs resembled carrots shoved into tiny wedges of leather.

This! There were some things I just refused to wear because I thought I looked ridiculous lol I am wearing a lot of skirts + tights and boots now that it's getting colder, and man does that look so much better than it used to.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've honestly been using the whole "losing weight and getting fit" thing as an excuse to buy the new wardrobe that I've wanted since I started University 4 years ago. I've been craving to change my style to something less "Hi, I'm an angsty 16 year old who only wears band t-shirts and jeans" to "Hi, I'm a young professional and a sexy woman - please hire me and all my sexiness!"

I never had the money to literally buy a new wardrobe before, but now that the majority of my clothes are too big or don't fit right, I've been putting money aside. I figured it's a great way to reward myself - a new me with a new lifestyle, a new attitude, and clothing that reflects that. So far as style of clothes/sizes, I've only bought one new outfit, so I haven't experimented with other styles that I would always avoid before that may look better now - but now it's something I really want to do! :happy:

God, I want to go shopping, like meow. :angry:
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've spent a lot of money on new clothes - I've got to stop !! I still have a long way to go :) I have some sturdy new jeggings to try wearing this week. I'll wear them with a new purple fuzzy sweater. This is a nonfood way of rewarding myself.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm in completely different things than I was last year at this time.

Donna mentioned wearing more skirts/dresses and tucking things in - YES. THIS. I will actually tuck things in now, or buy cute everyday dresses just to wear without a specific occasion in mind. Heck, I've got a pair of leggings on now that I never in a million years would have even looked at, let alone bought. And I'm not as adamant any more about "no sleeveless." I used to curse the companies that only made things that were sleeveless. But I've got a few things now that I will actually wear in public without coverups when it warms up in the Spring. (For now, I'll wear sweaters over them for the warmth.)

I wore my older things until I just couldn't any more because they just looked silly, or were literally falling off. Luckily because of seasons, that meant I only had 1 "interim" wardrobe before my new, final size. If you have a lot to lose, I definitely suggest that you check out thrift or resale shops for basics to wear while you continue to change sizes. Going with basics means you don't need as many pieces because you can mix them up, and change looks with a few accessories, like scarves and costume jewelry. And you can get a feel for what might be your new personal style without blowing a lot of money on things you end up wearing only once.

Nov. 2012: 18/20W
    Spring 2013: 12/14, spring and summer clothes purchased
    Fall 2013: 6/8, new winter wardrobe (and some of the 8s are a little loose, but I can take them in a bit or belt them)
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    There are things I can wear now that I had always wanted to be able to wear... Boots that covered any part of my calf, a pair of skinny jeans here or there, SHORTS, dresses... the list could go on. I feel so much better in my own skin even if I do have farther to go to reach my goals.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Have you found yourself changing style much since losing weight? For some people it seems like they totally transform into a different person with dramatic losses. Others may keep the same style.

yes. Now I'm taking the time to buy clothes that fit me properly, and if they don't, I don't buy them. I don't settle anymore. I know there are many different items to choose from at this size, so I will look until I find something that's properly cut for my body shape.

Also... now I wear whatever the hell I damn well please, instead of worrying if I looks silly because I'm not a teenager anymore. You know what - when my grey is covered, people mistake me for a teen - I'm going to wear what I want.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've changed a little but I still tend toward the same styles. I tend to change over time, anyway. The fun thing is fitting into clothes I wore 5-10 years ago that I held onto because I liked them so much. I've bought some new clothes to supplement my wardrobe, as well. I am wearing dresses now, which I wouldn't do for a looooooong time. Some things are definitely more flattering. I wear tighter clothes than I used to, not so afraid to show my curves anymore. That's probably the biggest change is I look for things to flatter instead of looking for things to hide me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I treated myself to a whole new wardrobe. Worth it.

Did you wait until you reached your goal weight? When did you know it was "time"? Or do you plan to buy another new wardrobe if you have more to lose?

In the past year I have replaced at least 95% of my clothing. Looking into my closet this past weekend there are only 5-6 items that were present a year ago. But as for "officially" going out and purchasing an all new wardrobe, I don't see that happening until I reach a certain weight in the future and really planning to stay there for long-term.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    My style is pretty much the same with the exception of skinny jeans. I think they look nice on me now when before I always felt they just made my hips and thighs look huge. My boobs are also a little smaller which allows me to wear button up shirts.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My style has definitely changed.

Partly because now I fit into clothes I always wanted to wear, but also because styles that used to look good on the bigger now don't look as good. For instance, I love wide leg pants, but now I look like I am just swimming in them.

I have definitely experienced this too!! Sweater sets and cardigans over camisoles & tanks were my favorite thing to wear to work (or anytime), and I covered almost every outfit with a cardigan. Yes I was doing that mostly to hide/camouflage my least favorite bulges (arms and upper abdomen). But it honestly did look good on me when I was sizes 2X/3X. Now I look silly and frumpy in most of those. The only good way for me to style a cardigan currently is over a dress and I'm needing more belts for my dresses to make it work.

Button-downs have always been my enemy. I could never find one that would fit properly. I am broad through the shoulder/arm area and hips, so they always swam on me. Apparently the amount I have lost is exactly the right amount for 1X button-down shirts to fit properly though and for me it's been a dream! I love it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have you found yourself changing style much since losing weight? For some people it seems like they totally transform into a different person with dramatic losses. Others may keep the same style.

I find that some of the fashions that worked best for me in a larger size no longer flatter, and different clothes seem to suit me. While my "personal style" remains much the same, my wardrobe looks a lot different!

Also...anyone like me who was in the same size range for many years (even a decade or more) and now find themselves in a totally new size? What challenges, if any, does that pose for you? Have you had any financial issues with replacing your wardrobe?

I know I've asked a lot of questions here but basically just wondering about your experiences with shopping and styling yourself in a leaner or different body.

I've changed some things. I wear a lot more cute little dresses and form fitting tops now. But I wouldn't say that the types of clothes I like has changed, just that now I can actually wear the clothes that I used to only be able to admire. Different cuts and silhouettes flatter me now. Thankfully I've about got that part figured out.

Still, I get frustrated trying to buy shirts. I usually end up in Juniors because the grown women's stuff doesn't fit right.

I get *really* frustrated buying bras. The brands and styles I used to wear don't work anymore. I have to have the ones marketed to a younger audience. But to balance that out, finding skirts and pants is much easier than it used to be.

It all kind of reminds me of when I was a teenager and I first started shopping for my own clothes. There's a lot of trial and error, and figuring out which stores and brands work best for my body.

Financially it's been rough. I'm replenishing my closet gradually, but I even had to get rid of most of my shoes because I lost a whole shoe size, so it's slow going. The main issue I've had is that I thought I was done when I hit my goal weight so I bought a bunch of new clothes. Then I started lifting and eating at maintenance and I lost 2 more sizes, so some of those clothes are already too big.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Horizontal stripes!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I like looking at thrift shops for clothes while I'm in transition. I also peruse the clearance racks at some of my favorite stores, and sometimes find better deals there than at the thrift shops! Once I hit my goal weight, I have money set aside to go buy all new clothes for myself. I also am part of a clothing chain with some friends, so as one drops more, it gets passed on to the next person and so on.
  • asreyes8022
    Options
    I am buying too much too, knowing I will change sizes again. I can't help it!