New Clothes, New You? Or Not

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Oh and tank tops. I used to not want to be caught dead in a tank top. Since I started lifting I really like the way my arms and shoulders look so I've worn nothing but tank tops all summer.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've had to replace my wardrobe several times over the last year unless I wanted to look really silly. Thank god for thrift stores. They keep me from going broke. Plus, I find name brand stuff that I would never be able to buy new. I feel like a rock star walking around town now!

Same here! I have always been a thrift store/secondhand fiend, but even more so now that I know my clothes need frequent replacing. An added benefit for me has been the discovery of certain brands that I wouldn't normally have tried. I have some stuff in my closet that I would have considered too old (Coldwater Creek, Christopher & Banks) or too young (Roxy, Aeropostale) but for basic items they're actually quite good.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    For me, new clothes equaled old me. But not after weight loss. When I was married, I didn't own a pair of wranglers or cowboy boots. Over the years, I became someone that, looking back on, I don't recognize. It was after my divorce that I started changing up my wardrobe. Then I lost weight and had to keep buying new stuff to replace the stuff that was too big. But I actually feel like me again, so it's worth it.

That is really cool!! Way to go back to what makes you feel happiest and most like you.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I changed to more form fitting clothes, but the over all style has not changed all that much. Maybe a little trendier here and there and I actually own a swim suit now :)

When I finally lost enough weight to shop in the regular stores, not plus sized, it was intimidating. I had way to many options and got overwhelmed. I had to have a friend take me shopping a few times. I honestly thought I would enjoy shopping more, but I don't. I need someone to do it for me.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Im dressing more "emo/punky" styles now. Im only 22 so I hope I can pull it off. I love that style and coloured jeans and slogan tops. Im aiming for a uk size 8 jeans size as an ultimate goal. Im in 10s now so nearly lol At the moment clothes are more for covering my body but when I get happier and at my goal then il go out with abit of money and spend it on a new wardbrobe of staple mix and match pieces!

Heck yeah you can pull that off at 22! There are some women who even pull it off when they're 30-something, although I am not one of them! hehe
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    What ever you do dont do what I did...finally donate all the too big clothes. Were talking about 6 garbage bags full then go and get knocked up shortly after that. Really ruins what you can wear.

I'm just hoping I'll be able to drop enough baby weight to get back into the smaller sizes otherwise it'll be maternity clothes for a very long time, LOL!

LOL no way...I had an unwanted pregnancy at 35 so my husband got snipped. None of that better be happenin' on my watch!

It cracks me up when everyone's talking about keeping your smaller clothes. The last time I had smaller clothes than what I am wearing right now it was 1990 and they would not be very cool for my 37 yr old self ;-)
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I have definitely changed my style of clothing since losing weight. I have dropped from a size 24 down to a size 14 currently. I find that some of the old styles that I used to wear don't look good anymore. I used to wear pants that were more baggy, but have lost a good portion of the weight through my hips and thighs so those baggier styles tend to make me look bigger still. I have found that skinny jeans look good and are quite comfortable, but when I was heavier I said that I would never wear them. The oversized shirts that I used to wear are not at all flattering so I have bought things that are more fitted. I still have a little over 50lbs to lose so I know that this won't be the last size change that I have to make, but since I need clothes that are appropriate for work, I will have to continue to buy a few pieces at a time.
  • seltzermint555
    Options

It all kind of reminds me of when I was a teenager and I first started shopping for my own clothes. There's a lot of trial and error, and figuring out which stores and brands work best for my body.

I've thought this exact thing so many times recently!! I was a really chubby kid and started puberty early so I was so used to just dressing to find things that actually fit, and hid my body. I was so comfortable doing that and I feel like NOW in my late 30s I am going through puberty or something because I am having to relearn everything about what looks good. And I have not even changed THAT much, I mean I'm down almost 100 lb from my heaviest but I've only gone from size 22 to 16, not like I'm a six or anything...
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I changed to more form fitting clothes, but the over all style has not changed all that much. Maybe a little trendier here and there and I actually own a swim suit now :)

When I finally lost enough weight to shop in the regular stores, not plus sized, it was intimidating. I had way to many options and got overwhelmed. I had to have a friend take me shopping a few times. I honestly thought I would enjoy shopping more, but I don't. I need someone to do it for me.

Right now I'm at that point where a lot of plus size cuts do not work, even though they might be my size the cut is not good for me. I'm getting into 14-16 territory lately so I can shop at SOME regular stores and I find that so intimidating too. I love to shop and I like fashion etc, so I didn't see this coming but it's just overwhelming.

Your comment reminds me, I've gotta buy a new swimsuit. I would love to do my old go-to (Land's End long torso) but I'm afraid if I buy it this winter on sale it won't fit by spring/summer...a good problem to have, but still very annoying as well!
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Pre weight loss, it was all about the cover up, tunic shirts to cover the stomach, etc... now I can wear normal length shirts and leggings. I would have never worn leggings out of the house before the weight loss, at least without a shirt long enough to cover my rear and stomach

Same here. It is weird to buy shirts that come to the waist or just a couple of inches below, eh? This morning I tried on my chocolate brown leggings (which I'm wearing with a dress) with a southwest-print, quite edgy long tank and I LOVED the way it looked but it was too risqué looking for work...because it kinda showed the outline of my bum. I put that in my arsenal of stuff I'm gonna wear with my husband on the weekend when we're running around and I know he will like it. But it was nice to nix it as a work-appropriate look because of sexiness and not lumps and bumps showing.

Even sometimes in thrift stores I STILL gravitate to the old sizes. I was between 20-24 from age 16 to 36, so I guess it makes sense...but I keep forgetting, NO that won't fit you now. For years even though I was technically 2X I would buy 3X and occasionally 4X and it honestly looked good (often baggy or longer, which hid my belly and such) and I forget that now it does not work like that for my body. That 2X shirt is going to be sloppy and wrong on me now.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    How about everyone's hair and makeup? Has it stayed the same, or changed?

Mine has stayed essentially the same. I liked my style to begin with and it suited me so I haven't seen fit to drastically change that about myself along with weight loss.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I found myself going back to my style once I got back to the size i used to be.
    I was a size 2-4. Then got all the way up to a size 8 pants (should've been a 10, but i refused to buy them). It was unconscious, but I realize now, by looking at pictures and at the clothes I wore at my biggest, that i had turned from being very fashion-conscious to not giving a rat's *kitten* about what i was wearing. Sad, really.
  • ashleywingo7
    ashleywingo7 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and have always weighed between 110 and 115 pounds. Before my last pregnancy I started my fitness journey and got down to 106 pounds. At 110-115 I had curves, at 106, not so much. My jeans were no longer fitted and sloppy. Luckily, my shirts didn't fit too differently. My t-shirts swallowed me whole though, Lol. I went right back to pre-pregnancy weight so minus my pudgy stomach I'm in the same boat again.
    As far as buying new clothes, I never did. I couldn't afford new clothes and by the time my clothes were fitting so differently I found out I was pregnant. I did find myself looking at different styles of clothing though. I've always been more of a tomboy but as I lost weight I was more attracted to girly feminine clothes.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    My style (jeans or khakis and tees) basically stays the same, with a few embellishments added. I've saved my smaller clothes from the last time I was this size a dozen years ago, so my beaded vest now fits me again (yay!).

In addition to thrift shops, I've also found great deals at yard sales. I recently got back into a very nice leather belt that I had picked up for five bucks.

I also fit back into my smaller sportswear, like a form-fitting tank top and other clothes that I had worn for running. The last time I was this size I had bought a mini-wardrobe of clothes for running and dancing and still have them.

Otherwise, my main change has been what a friend of mine calls "tuck-in time!" :-)
  • ashleywingo7
    ashleywingo7 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Mine has stayed essentially the same. I liked my style to begin with and it suited me so I haven't seen fit to drastically change that about myself along with weight loss.

I still don't wear any makeup so that hasn't changed but I've noticed when I'm at a higher weight I stick with shorter hair and when I'm at lower weights I'm always "growing my hair out". I think this time I'll try a shorter hair along with a slimmer body. :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    My makeup is the same but I did grow my hair out long.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

Makeup? What is this makeup of which you speak? ;-)
    (I haven't worn makeup regularly since I was a teenager.)

Back in 2010 I got my hair cut for the first time since the 1970s, not out of any style sense but to donate to Matters of Trust for hair booms after the Gulf oil spill (I live on the Gulf coast). I had worn my long hair up, so I still looked pretty much the same after the cut. In terms of appearance, my hair has stayed the same except for picking up a bit more gray (I don't color it).
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    One thing I noticed this past summer, as I was transitioning sizes all of the time, was that I suddenly became less of an accessorizer. When I was heavier than I am now, I really put a lot of effort into putting together outfits with accessories and such. But I got sort of lazy in the summer and as a result I started to feel totally out of it. Like my usual put-together style was failing badly with the loss of my former clothes and most of my accessories not really working well w/ the new clothes. So I've had to put a little bit of effort into getting that back. I have taken this opportunity to change up my accessories a little, and it's been fun. Before I was more likely to choose large chunky pieces, and some gold, and I wore a LOT (like almost daily) of embellished headbands. I wear the headbands only rarely now and go with more simple, modern, silver, etc.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Financially it's been rough. The main issue I've had is that I thought I was done when I hit my goal weight so I bought a bunch of new clothes. Then I started lifting and eating at maintenance and I lost 2 more sizes, so some of those clothes are already too big.

I haven't started lifting yet, but I ran into the same problem. I thought I had made it to the end and now my "small" clothes are too big!!:grumble: I love the Thrift shops. They help alleviate some of the financial burden of replacement clothes. But I currently only have about 3 pairs of dress pants that look half decent on me to wear to work.:sad:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Financially it's been rough. The main issue I've had is that I thought I was done when I hit my goal weight so I bought a bunch of new clothes. Then I started lifting and eating at maintenance and I lost 2 more sizes, so some of those clothes are already too big.

I haven't started lifting yet, but I ran into the same problem. I thought I had made it to the end and now my "small" clothes are too big!!:grumble: I love the Thrift shops. They help alleviate some of the financial burden of replacement clothes. But I currently only have about 3 pairs of dress pants that look half decent on me to wear to work.:sad:

Do you have Ross where you are? That's what I did until I could afford new clothes. It's a factory seconds and close-outs store.