Heavy vs Light Weights for Women

Options
2»

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    For compounds I try keep my rep range from 4-8. For Isolations I try keep them around 8-12, trying to make sure I cannot do any more on the last rep.

This is exactly what I do, but better put, I use the 3-5 rep range for compound strength based work (the big 4 lifts) and 8-12 for my assistance work (where I also try to use compound movments, even if they are smaller movements).

Best take away ever that I read online: I've seen huge guys who do high reps, and huge guys who do low reps... obviously there is value in both. And from what I've read there's not much more value in doing more than 12 reps per set.

AAAlso, a quick note, more likely than not the "results" you see in the mirror are due to your fat loss. Muscle gain is a very slow process when you're eating a surplus, and really negligible on a deficit. For example, eating a surplus, men can really only hope to gain about 2 lbs of muscle per week, along with 2 lbs of fat to go with it. From what I understand, women don't gain nearly that quickly.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    For compounds I try keep my rep range from 4-8. For Isolations I try keep them around 8-12, trying to make sure I cannot do any more on the last rep.

This is exactly what I do, but better put, I use the 3-5 rep range for compound strength based work (the big 4 lifts) and 8-12 for my assistance work (where I also try to use compound movments, even if they are smaller movements).
    So many schools of thought, but I appreciate each and every one of them! :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Virtually all of them work... there really are many ways to skin a cat. The difference is either A) varying degrees of what people consider "ideal" or most effective, or B) personal preference. Actually, in many cases it's a combination of the two.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

You'll go far my young padawan.

Unfortunately, one of the worst things that has happened to weight training is that it has been hijacked by the "I want to look this way" industry, err, excuse me, the "fitness" industry.

Now, I get that looking fine is important to a lot of people. It used to be very important to me at one point in my life. What happens though is people view weight training through a very narrow focus and never expose themselves to the numerous other challenges that it can present.

You can be powerful. You can be strong. You can endure. You can be quicker. You can be faster. You can leap tall buildings in a single bound (yeah, I might have made that one up...)

The possibilities and challenges could keep you occupied for a life time and life is too short to limit yourself.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

My dad told me this summer that I need to stop lifting weights because my legs were starting to look like "football players" legs. This after years of tell me I was too skinny (at 160lbs and 5'9"). Dads are dumb sometimes.

Uh, a woman with thick legs is a very, very hot woman. lol Also, I saw the photos in your profile... your father is nuts.

Trust me, I know. :grumble:

And thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

You'll go far my young padawan.

Unfortunately, one of the worst things that has happened to weight training is that it has been hijacked by the "I want to look this way" industry, err, excuse me, the "fitness" industry.

Now, I get that looking fine is important to a lot of people. It used to be very important to me at one point in my life. What happens though is people view weight training through a very narrow focus and never expose themselves to the numerous other challenges that it can present.

You can be powerful. You can be strong. You can endure. You can be quicker. You can be faster. You can leap tall buildings in a single bound (yeah, I might have made that one up...)

The possibilities and challenges could keep you occupied for a life time and life is too short to limit yourself.
    Great thought!