Why do I gain weight?

Options
I eat under my calorie limit, i workout and everyday when i go on the scale i've been gaining weight!
why?
should i not check everyday or just once a week?

please help!?

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary please?
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You should not check every day. Your body will fluctuate up to 5 lbs, you should only weigh once a week at the same time of day on the same scale.

If you keep gaining, then there are other questions.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You should not check every day. Your body will fluctuate up to 5 lbs, you should only weigh once a week at the same time of day on the same scale.

this you have asked a question without giving us anything to work with. It could be water muscle or fat, depending on your diet workout or salt intake. Take your pick but we cannot formulate any ideas with nothing to go on =/

But yeh you should definitely not weigh yourself everyday, your body will fluctuate and its just heartache you dont need. Trust me on that one

Tof
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism could be in starvation mode if you are eating below your calorie limit. This can cause your body to create fat stores because it is in defense mode. I advise that you up your cals, workout at least 3-5 days a week and watch your sodium in take as well. Sodium in high quantity causes water weight gain. I also suggest weighing yourself once a week at the same time...like may be every Friday or something. Good luck to you and I hope that you find something that works for you!
  • sodeelish
    sodeelish Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very well could be sodium. It takes DAYS to recover from it. I take potassium supplements and drink a lot of water to keep that from happening. I try to keep my sodium intake minimal.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Yup yup this
  • here2inspire
    Options
    my diary is open if you guys would like to take a look!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism could be in starvation mode if you are eating below your calorie limit. This can cause your body to create fat stores because it is in defense mode. I advise that you up your cals, workout at least 3-5 days a week and watch your sodium in take as well. Sodium in high quantity causes water weight gain. Good luck to you and I hope that you find something that works for you!

No starvation mode. I stupidly started with 1200 and netted 700ish for almost a month and lost a tremendous amount of weight. Again, explain starving countries and their people, if eating at an extreme low amount didnt result in loss. Is it healthy? No. But you will lose weight.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Your metabolism could be in starvation mode if you are eating below your calorie limit. This can cause your body to create fat stores because it is in defense mode. I advise that you up your cals, workout at least 3-5 days a week and watch your sodium in take as well. Sodium in high quantity causes water weight gain. Good luck to you and I hope that you find something that works for you!

This is terrible advice. 1. Starvation mode does not apply here based on the OP's post. 2. OP is GAINING weight. That indicates a calorie SURPLUS. Telling her to eat more is ridiculous.

People, please THINK before you post. :noway:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You need to eat! Your body's not going to be willing to give up it's fat stores if you're not giving it enough nutrients, especially since you're active. That calorie goal is just that, a goal, meaning something to reach on a regular basis, not something to come in WAY under. Eat back your earned calories too.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism could be in starvation mode if you are eating below your calorie limit. This can cause your body to create fat stores because it is in defense mode. I advise that you up your cals.....

Are you serious? In what universe does eating too little make one GAIN weight? This is ridiculous.

OP - You are likely not tracking your intake correctly or you are overestimating your calorie burn. You didn't give us much information about your situation, but my suggestion would be to begin weighing your food with a food scale, be completely honest with your diary, and if you are eating back your exercise calories, perhaps only eat back 75% of them instead of 100%. The simple answer is: you are probably not losing weight because you are not currently eating at a deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism could be in starvation mode if you are eating below your calorie limit. This can cause your body to create fat stores because it is in defense mode. I advise that you up your cals, workout at least 3-5 days a week and watch your sodium in take as well. Sodium in high quantity causes water weight gain. I also suggest weighing yourself once a week at the same time...like may be every Friday or something. Good luck to you and I hope that you find something that works for you!

No...it is true that you shouldn't have too large a deficit as you lose more LBM and it becomes more and more difficult to get proper nutrients on a VLCD, but you cannot store fat in a deficit regardless of the size of that deficit...it's math.

OP...you can fluctuate a good 2-3 Lbs up or down from your "true" weight...I use that term loosely given the very unstable nature of body weight. You could be retaining water for any give number of reasons...you could have excess waste in your system, etc. You need to look at your weight as a general trend over a much longer period of time...if you continue to just gain over the course of weeks then you are eating too much...if we're talking about a few Lbs of fluctuation then that's just water and waste.
  • lharri0209
    Options
    You need to eat! Your body's not going to be willing to give up it's fat stores if you're not giving it enough nutrients, especially since you're active. That calorie goal is just that, a goal, meaning something to reach on a regular basis, not something to come in WAY under. Eat back your earned calories too.
    Exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You aren't logging everything. Unless saturday you only had breakfast. You didn't have dinner yesterday? Start logging consistently. Every day. Meet your calorie goal. Weigh and measure your food. Be honest about your intake and you will see results.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks!

Still wrong.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    You aren't logging everything. Unless saturday you only had breakfast. You didn't have dinner yesterday? Start logging consistently. Every day. Meet your calorie goal. Weigh and measure your food. Be honest about your intake and you will see results.

^^This.
  • here2inspire
    Options

When I wake up late, i don't eat lunch, more like brunch.
  • lharri0209
    Options
    Your metabolism could be in starvation mode if you are eating below your calorie limit. This can cause your body to create fat stores because it is in defense mode. I advise that you up your cals.....

Are you serious? In what universe does eating too little make one GAIN weight? This is ridiculous.

OP - You are likely not tracking your intake correctly or you are overestimating your calorie burn. You didn't give us much information about your situation, but my suggestion would be to begin weighing your food with a food scale, be completely honest with your diary, and if you are eating back your exercise calories, perhaps only eat back 75% of them instead of 100%. The simple answer is: you are probably not losing weight because you are not currently eating at a deficit.

I thought that we were all adults here. If you don't agree with my advice, OK. How about just give your own advice instead of bashing mine. Thanks.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

When I wake up late, i don't eat lunch, more like brunch.

Ya I do that too, but you still have to eat more or trust me you will not keep the weight off.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You joined a few weeks ago.
    You lost 2 lbs according to your ticker.
    you are eating at about 800 cals a day

You arent gaining and you are under eating.