Why do I gain weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism could be in starvation mode if you are eating below your calorie limit. This can cause your body to create fat stores because it is in defense mode. I advise that you up your cals.....

Are you serious? In what universe does eating too little make one GAIN weight? This is ridiculous.

OP - You are likely not tracking your intake correctly or you are overestimating your calorie burn. You didn't give us much information about your situation, but my suggestion would be to begin weighing your food with a food scale, be completely honest with your diary, and if you are eating back your exercise calories, perhaps only eat back 75% of them instead of 100%. The simple answer is: you are probably not losing weight because you are not currently eating at a deficit.

I thought that we were all adults here. If you don't agree with my advice, OK. How about just give your own advice instead of bashing mine. Thanks.

I'm sorry, but your advice defies logic and could have some frustrating consequences for the OP and others in the same situation if they were to take it.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You're eating 800 calories a day or less.
    WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THAT!?

Food is delicious, eat more.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You aren't logging everything. Unless saturday you only had breakfast. You didn't have dinner yesterday? Start logging consistently. Every day. Meet your calorie goal. Weigh and measure your food. Be honest about your intake and you will see results.

When I wake up late, i don't eat lunch, more like brunch.

saturday?
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm seeing a lot of generic database entries in your food diary.

"Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 1 cup, chopped or diced" isn't going to be accurate enough. You need to weigh the meat. Also, what did you roast it in? How much oil?

or "Banana - Extra Large (9" or Longer) (152g), 1 Banana (152g)" There's no way of knowing whether your banana was 152 g. It could have been more.

"Tilipia Fillets - Tilapia Fillets Boneless, 4 oz" and "Aldi Eggs - Egg Whites Scrambled, 3 eggs"

So you didn't use any oil at all to cook either of these? Not even PAM spray (that stuff has calories per spray even if it says zero on the can and if you're spraying a lot it can add up. I've gotten up to 80 calories from cooking one dish, purely from PAM.

"Generic - Turkey Sandwhich on Whole Wheat Bread With Lettuce and Light Mayo, 1 sandwhich" yeah, I very much doubt that your sandwich was exactly as many calories as this generic database entry. Were you using the same bread? The same mayo? Was there cheese?

Also, do you drink your coffee black?

I'm seeing a lot of unfinished entries in your diary. Are those days where you started out with good intentions and then fell off the wagon and ate something high calorie and then you were too ashamed to log it/thought 'what's the point? I'll start again tomorrow?' Guess what, those calories don't vanish. They still factor in to your average intake, even if you chose not to log them. I'd guess that you are eating much much more than you think you are. I suggest being more accurate and consistent in your logging and to stop using database entries. Invest in a food scale.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism could be in starvation mode if you are eating below your calorie limit. This can cause your body to create fat stores because it is in defense mode. I advise that you up your cals.....

Are you serious? In what universe does eating too little make one GAIN weight? This is ridiculous.

OP - You are likely not tracking your intake correctly or you are overestimating your calorie burn. You didn't give us much information about your situation, but my suggestion would be to begin weighing your food with a food scale, be completely honest with your diary, and if you are eating back your exercise calories, perhaps only eat back 75% of them instead of 100%. The simple answer is: you are probably not losing weight because you are not currently eating at a deficit.

I thought that we were all adults here. If you don't agree with my advice, OK. How about just give your own advice instead of bashing mine. Thanks.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Just my $0.02...

If you don't log EVERYTHING (and I mean weigh it and measure it and EVERYTHING), and you don't log consistently? Then you really have no idea exactly what kind of caloric intake you have.

If your entries are complete? You totally need to eat more. I mean, SERIOUSLY...I'd be hurting people if I were only eating 800 calories in a day. All that starvation mode versus not starvation mode aside, how can you adequately fuel your body to function on such a low amount of calories?
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue ... I have a LOT of weight to lose. What everyone else said is the general answer that I receive. Our bodies dont do an input/output computation that says ok this much in, this much out = weight loss every time ... my body is ALL OVER THE PLACE ... Just keep it up and the scale will catch up!!

50540473.png
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    OP, you've only been logging anything since last week. Why don't you log everything, weigh and measure and net your required calories. Come back in a month.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

You told someone gaining weight to eat even more.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
    Yes, I did. That is because I went through this before as my body was not getting enough nutrients. I up'ed my caloric in take by 100 calories and I began to see weight loss again. I also gave other good advice, which others have seemed to over look. Op already said that starvation mode is not her situation and that is OK.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others - for myself my weight can fluctuate 3-7 lbs in a day depending on what I eat or drink. I've weighed myself enough to see that my body has a pattern - I usual reach my weekly low around Sunday which I use as my weigh-in day, by Tuesday or Wednesday I can be up 3-5 lbs depending on if I allowed myself a lot of sodium and sugar on an "eat what I want day" or I had a particularly tough weight day and I hold water weight like crazy in my sore swollen muscles (I personally love those days), and then it comes off again and I have my weekly "whoosh" effect by weigh-in day.

Don't get upset over gaining for a few days in a row. There could be several factors playing into it. There is a ton of great nutrition advice being offered in these forums, you just have to sift through it and find what works for you.

Don't be discouraged, keep on keepin on. :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Eat more to lose has nothing to do with "starvation mode"...eat more to lose is all about dietary adherence and maintaining as much LBM as possible during the cutting process. You can crash your metabolism with VLCD but not to the point that you would stop losing weight or start gaining...you will surely lose more LBM on a VLCD and will likely run into nutritional deficienceies...there are numerous reasons why people should not be doing VLCD...but "starvation mode" as presented is inaccurate.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism could be in starvation mode if you are eating below your calorie limit. This can cause your body to create fat stores because it is in defense mode. I advise that you up your cals, workout at least 3-5 days a week and watch your sodium in take as well. Sodium in high quantity causes water weight gain. I also suggest weighing yourself once a week at the same time...like may be every Friday or something. Good luck to you and I hope that you find something that works for you!

no. you dont even know her history, her ACTUAL calorie intake, her calorie burn, her length of time watching calories... how can you "diagnose" her with starvation mode? besides the fact that the way mfp throws around the term starvation mode is completely false and un true, you dont even have enough information to even consider such an off the wall idea. starvation mode as your using it, is a myth. plain and simple. i wish you starvation mode people would stop giving bad advise, like to up her calories, when you dont even know what her calorie intake is...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I eat under my calorie limit, i workout and everyday when i go on the scale i've been gaining weight!
    why?

If you are gaining weight, and this is confirmed over a reasonable amount of time, then you are simply eating more than your activity level allows for.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism could be in starvation mode if you are eating below your calorie limit. This can cause your body to create fat stores because it is in defense mode.

Absolutely guaranteed that is NOT happening.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Before you eat MORE I suggest the following:

1. Get a food scale and weigh everything, no more measuring cups or spoons they are off
    2. Log everything
    3. Eat more fat - your body needs fats, use 2% or whole fat dairy or add some almonds/nut butter to your diet, it will not add a lot of calories
    4. Get a heart rate monitor or fitbit to track your exercise, online trackers and MFP are usually much higher than the actual burn
    5. Eat more fruits and vegetables as your source of carbs
    6. Don't skip meals or if you do be sure you have plenty of snacks that day

According to your ticker you only have about 20 lbs to lose, your goal should only be 0.5 lbs/week or 1 lb at the most or you will have trouble maintaining. I would suggest going back into your settings and changing that. If the calorie change is huge, slowly increase your intake after you are confident you are eating the right amount by 50-100 cal/day each week to give your body time to adjust.

Keep your protein high to help maintain your lean body mass.
  • mdev1
    mdev1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The simple, and most overlooked option, is to greatly increase physical activity. Eating more often, and healthy, whilst excising will help increase your metabolism. This will, a) allow you to eat more, b) burn off more calories, and c) prevent your body from slowing the burn rate due to a lack of fuel.

I personally do NOT track how much Pam I spray, or butter that I use, but I do measure the principal items I eat (meat, veggies, peanuts etc.). I simply generalize the oil, butter, and spray calories (which granted, are significant). On the other hand, I might burn 1,000 or more calories while working out so I can afford to be slightly inaccurate in that area. In general, I aim for a small deficit on the days I work out, and I am conservative on the days I don't. That means I eat like a horse on the days I do workout.

They key is to keep your metabolism high and you can't do that through diet alone. Get a FitBit, or something similar, and aim to increase your activity in conjunction with eating regularly throughout the day. Of course, do not munch down the preponderance of your calorie intake 30 minutes before bedtime. In fact, try to eat about 30% of your daily intake in the morning. That will also help to stoke the furnace. If you are working out regularly, and eating healthy and balanced foods, then you should have no problem shedding the extra lbs.

A brief review of your diary tells me you are eating too little and not burning anything. This will serve to slow the metabolism and thereby slow weight loss. What will happen, with a diet like yours, is that you will loose lean mass. The lean mass (muscle) is what is needed to burn calories. The more lean mass you have, the more calories you need to maintain it. Exercise will build that mass and increase the body's burn rate to support it. Eating like you are currently logging, will weaken your entire system including your bone tissue. Doing something as simple as walking 10,000 steps a day will have a measurable impact. Some strength training will also help tremendously (pushups, situps, etc.). You don't have to be a gym rat for this to work.

Good luck!