Thanksgiving...?

Options
Are you guys planning on eating it all up, or going the healthy route? I'm not sure what to do because I've been really trying to avoid binges and I've been successful! Any ideas?

Kisses!

Replies

• KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Mostly I was just going to eat the things i like and really want, just in way smaller portions, and probably over several days, that way i get my fill of them until next year.
  • breakhearts
    breakhearts Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mostly I was just going to eat the things i like and really want, just in way smaller portions, and probably over several days, that way i get my fill of them until next year.

That's actually a really good idea! I'm kind of feeling like I'll binge the freak out. Haha. What about desserts? o.o
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Since I'm eating for one I'll be going semi healthy.

Hen,salad,brocili casserole
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'll be at work so it'll be a typical day for me.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on eating what I want (including dessert) but smaller portions and pacing myself so I know when to stop.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What pray tell is "unhealthy" about any of the traditional Thanksgiving foods? Also, it is one day of many days of the rest of your life...I can assure you that I didn't get fat because of Thanksgiving or Christmas or someones birthday or the rando birthday party...I got fat because I ate like a big all of the time and didn't move. This isn't about what you do on occasion...it's an occasion...this process is about what you do most of the time, not 10% of the time.

I'm going to enjoy myself, just like I did last year...when, BTW I lost most of my weight between end of Sept and the New Year. I didn't hold back an eat only lettuce on Thanksgiving...I celebrated the holiday with my family and friends and enjoyed myself...did the same at Christmas and through the New Year. Again, it's one day...just don't treat the entire two months as a reason to stuff yourself and you'll be fine.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What pray tell is "unhealthy" about any of the traditional Thanksgiving foods? Also, it is one day of many days of the rest of your life...I can assure you that I didn't get fat because of Thanksgiving or Christmas or someones birthday or the rando birthday party...I got fat because I ate like a big all of the time and didn't move. This isn't about what you do on occasion...it's an occasion...this process is about what you do most of the time, not 10% of the time.

I'm going to enjoy myself, just like I did last year...when, BTW I lost most of my weight between end of Sept and the New Year. I didn't hold back an eat only lettuce on Thanksgiving...I celebrated the holiday with my family and friends and enjoyed myself...did the same at Christmas and through the New Year. Again, it's one day...just don't treat the entire two months as a reason to stuff yourself and you'll be fine.

Love the attitude of living large without gaining!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Are you guys planning on eating it all up, or going the healthy route? I'm not sure what to do because I've been really trying to avoid binges and I've been successful! Any ideas?

Kisses!

Thanksgiving will be a day of thanks for me. Meaning, I'm going to be thankful I can say, FU 2k calories a day, and just enjoy without going full retard.

I'm thinking it will cost me a week or two of spinning classes.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    SCARY!! Since I am still developing good eating habits right now, breaking up my momentum with Thanksgiving and holiday eating is scary. :frown: I think my approach will be to practice, practice, practice - high protein, low carbs. I don't need the high calorie sides - gravy, dressings or the high calories desserts - cookies, cakes :noway: I can have turkey, salad, and pumpkin pie (crustless - which is a feat in itself as I have been known to eat only the top and leave the bottom :blushing: ) No one cares that I am on a diet anyways in my family. :cry: I get support here at MFP and do my own thing! Have fun being yourself and stick with your program! :smooched:
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    We are doing our dinner this Saturday (while family are in town) and I plan on eating what I want, when I want :) One day didn't damage me to get here and one day certainly will not undo my work already :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I probably wont even log on Thanksgiving..thanksgiving is the ultimate cheat meal/re-feed day...its one of the few days a year that I just eat whatever I want...
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    What I do is take small portions of everything I like and as I finish them if I want more I take more. The way I see it is a handful of days each year is not going to derail me. However, less food on my plate at one time makes me eat slower which in turn helps me eat less.
  • breakhearts
    Options
    Since I'm eating for one I'll be going semi healthy.

Hen,salad,brocili casserole

I've always wanted to try hen! ಠ_ಠ
  • breakhearts
    Options

Kisses!

Thanksgiving will be a day of thanks for me. Meaning, I'm going to be thankful I can say, FU 2k calories a day, and just enjoy without going full retard.

I'm thinking it will cost me a week or two of spinning classes.
    ʘ‿ʘ
    Haha, this made me laugh so much! I love it! That's actually a good idea. FU Calories. Haha.
  • breakhearts
    Options
    I probably wont even log on Thanksgiving..thanksgiving is the ultimate cheat meal/re-feed day...its one of the few days a year that I just eat whatever I want...
    Alright, sounds good! I mean, one day a year isn't SO bad, I suppose. I'll probably log, just for fun! :b
  • breakhearts
    Options
    SCARY!! Since I am still developing good eating habits right now, breaking up my momentum with Thanksgiving and holiday eating is scary. :frown: I think my approach will be to practice, practice, practice - high protein, low carbs. I don't need the high calorie sides - gravy, dressings or the high calories desserts - cookies, cakes :noway: I can have turkey, salad, and pumpkin pie (crustless - which is a feat in itself as I have been known to eat only the top and leave the bottom :blushing: ) No one cares that I am on a diet anyways in my family. :cry: I get support here at MFP and do my own thing! Have fun being yourself and stick with your program! :smooched:

This is so true! I mean, I can enjoy myself and eat what I want, but I don't have to be a glutton with a pound of gravy! Haha :)
  • NotFab40
    Options
    Whatever I want, I shall eat!!!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Eating what you want does not have to mean "binging"...it's one meal, not even an entire day. So, I figure I'll eat exactly what I want...

For most people..this is a pretty typical Thanksgiving meal

6 oz. of turkey, with skin: 299 calories
    sausage stuffing: 310 calories
    2 dinner rolls 200 calories
    sweet-potato casserole: 300 calories
    mashed potatoes and gravy: 140 calories
    green-bean casserole: 300 calories
    cranberry sauce: 100 calories
    pumpkin pie: 316 calories
    pecan pie: 503 calories
    whipped cream: 100 calories

total: 2,568 calories

That's not THAT much. With a sensible breakfast of 2 eggs (140) and 1 serving of oatmeal (150) for breakfast and maybe a light vegetable soup for dinner (200) you'd be at a whopping ~3100 calories. Maybe that's 1000 or so over maintenance but an extra 30 minutes of exercise for a couple days will negate that. No big deal.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Already had Thanksgiving up here in Canada....but I'm planning on going into a food coma on Christmas Day :wink:
  • breakhearts
    Options
    Eating what you want does not have to mean "binging"...it's one meal, not even an entire day. So, I figure I'll eat exactly what I want...

For most people..this is a pretty typical Thanksgiving meal

6 oz. of turkey, with skin: 299 calories
    sausage stuffing: 310 calories
    2 dinner rolls 200 calories
    sweet-potato casserole: 300 calories
    mashed potatoes and gravy: 140 calories
    green-bean casserole: 300 calories
    cranberry sauce: 100 calories
    pumpkin pie: 316 calories
    pecan pie: 503 calories
    whipped cream: 100 calories

total: 2,568 calories

That's not THAT much. With a sensible breakfast of 2 eggs (140) and 1 serving of oatmeal (150) for breakfast and maybe a light vegetable soup for dinner (200) you'd be at a whopping ~3100 calories. Maybe that's 1000 or so over maintenance but an extra 30 minutes of exercise for a couple days will negate that. No big deal.

Thank you for your realistic measurement! :) I actually really like this. With my mindset that I'm currently at, a binge is anything that I don't plan out, so I suppose planning out my meal will pretty much solve the problem!