Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Thanksgiving...?

Replies

• 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    It is just one day, not logging! lol
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Well shucks, don't set yourself up for failure like that! If you tell yourself you feel like you may binge, chances are you will. That's how the whole self-fulfilling prophecy works.
    Thanksgiving, despite the bad rep it has, can actually be a very healthy holiday both physically and emotionally.
    Think about it, all of the food (or rather, most of it, depending on each particular family) is made fresh rather than coming out of the freezer or greasy frying pan. There's usually an abundance of veggies, fruit, and lean proteins (turkey). When dessert comes around, it's okay to have a small portion and enjoy yourself. Pumpkin pie is actually fairly healthy (high in vitamin A). If you feel the urge to go back for seconds or overdo anything, distract yourself. Get engaged in a meaningful conversation with someone else there (if you notice a health conscious person, it may be helpful to associate yourself with someone adjusted to eating healthy). You could also physically engage yourself by offering to clean up, both making a good impression and again, keeping your mind busy and distracted. Once everyone is full and finished eating, the hardest part is over and you survived - congratulations ;)
    I usually take a few further precautions, though.
    Since my favorite happens to be one of the highest calorie desserts, pecan pie, I usually cut back 200 calories every other day for about a week beforehand. This allows me at least 600 more calories to enjoy myself, without feeling deprived during the week. You may also wish to eat a little less the day after, as well.
    Oh, and make sure you have a filling/satisfying breakfast that morning, preferable low in calories. Egg whites with skim cheese on a light English muffin with some low-fat yogurt could help fight off hunger pangs :) Protein works wonders!
    I wish you the best of luck on Thanksgiving, I hope it goes well!
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    I'm going to pick two items that I really want and eat normal sized portions of those.. probably sweet potato casserole and then maybe stuffing or dinner rolls with butter... I've tried eating smaller portions of things and it ends up being more calories then if you just eat a normal portion of the thing you really want.. ooo and I don't count dessert... the one and only day I don't count dessert..
  • EAT, DRINK AND BE MERRY! Then run a mile or two after a nap.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I probably wont even log on Thanksgiving..thanksgiving is the ultimate cheat meal/re-feed day...its one of the few days a year that I just eat whatever I want...
    Alright, sounds good! I mean, one day a year isn't SO bad, I suppose. I'll probably log, just for fun! :b

That's really the thing... it's one day. If that one day becomes 10, then there is an issue.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Thanksgiving is my "go all out" time of year. I just work out extra to make up for it. I love turkey, mashed 'tatoes, ham, stuffing, veggies, everything.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Wouldnt miss out on it for the world. That is what has caused me issues before, trying to give up things I love. Not anymore and it feels great!! I am raising my calories to maintenance the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas!! I am going to start 30 day shred in Jan!!!!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Thanksgiving is only one day out of the year.. one day of eat what you want is not going to totally derail the over all goal. For those who still feel the need, eat what you want, but just don't eat as much.
  • I have a little strategy in mind. From now through about the 26th, I'm going to be very strict about what I eat. I plan on being disciplined and not going overboard before the holiday. On Thanksgiving, Black Friday, etc. I will be less lenient. This should work because I will be essentially "saving" calories for the holiday by being careful in advance. Hope this helps! It may be a little difficult, but my goal is to persevere!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    My family is having a southern fish fry for Thanksgiving so I'm going all out. I may get out for a bike ride or something before but maybe not. I'm not that worried about it. I just plan on enjoying myself.
  • drmcglone
    drmcglone Posts: 80 Member
    I am doing all the cooking for a big crowd! But I am going to own the day and enjoy it however and how much I please. The next day I will go back on track! Thanksgiving is my favorite meal :drinker:
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Are you guys planning on eating it all up, or going the healthy route? I'm not sure what to do because I've been really trying to avoid binges and I've been successful! Any ideas?

Kisses!

Staying on plan. No binges.

Hugs.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    I decided months ago that thanksgiving doesn't count, While some may try to stay under a certain amount of calories, I'm going to try to hit 5 digits, 10K is my goal. I'll be making Pecan Pie which is my favorite, we'll also have pumpkin, apple, chocolate crème cherry, and who knows what else, and I plan to have a slice of each. I'm going to avoid the rolls, but turkey, Ham, Sweet potatoes, my sisters cream corn, mashed potatoes, my wife's awesome cranberry jello salad and everything else here I come. I figure it took me a decade worth of thanksgivings in addition to 3,640 other days of bad eating habits to make me fat, one day wont kill me.

10K day here I come.

Rigger
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    I am sure I will have more than one slice of pumpkin pie... more like A pie :bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Wouldnt miss out on it for the world. That is what has caused me issues before, trying to give up things I love. Not anymore and it feels great!! I am raising my calories to maintenance the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas!! I am going to start 30 day shred in Jan!!!!

why not just go all out thanksgiving and Christmas day and eat at regular level the rest of the time?
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    I am going to have a little bit of everything I want to have, until I am full, and not log. Since I have some days off that week, I will also be able to get some extra exercise in.

This is what I did last year, with the exception being that I did log my food. Turns out that with the extra exercise that week, my weekly total calories were spot on with my goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Eating what you want does not have to mean "binging"...it's one meal, not even an entire day. So, I figure I'll eat exactly what I want...

For most people..this is a pretty typical Thanksgiving meal

6 oz. of turkey, with skin: 299 calories
    sausage stuffing: 310 calories
    2 dinner rolls 200 calories
    sweet-potato casserole: 300 calories
    mashed potatoes and gravy: 140 calories
    green-bean casserole: 300 calories
    cranberry sauce: 100 calories
    pumpkin pie: 316 calories
    pecan pie: 503 calories
    whipped cream: 100 calories

total: 2,568 calories

That's not THAT much. With a sensible breakfast of 2 eggs (140) and 1 serving of oatmeal (150) for breakfast and maybe a light vegetable soup for dinner (200) you'd be at a whopping ~3100 calories. Maybe that's 1000 or so over maintenance but an extra 30 minutes of exercise for a couple days will negate that. No big deal.

like 200 calories over maintenance for me...:drinker:
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Probably eat little of everything in small portions. I would rather make room for desserts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Are you guys planning on eating it all up, or going the healthy route? I'm not sure what to do because I've been really trying to avoid binges and I've been successful! Any ideas?

Kisses!

It's unhealthy to restrict your calories on Thanksgiving.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    It is just ONE day...so relax and enjoy. The danger is when your one day of eating what you like bleeds into Friday, then Saturday, then suddenly it is Christmas and you promise you'll be back on track in the new year....

So yeah. One day is fine but keep it to ONE DAY!