When you don't feel like excercising...

Options
How do you make yourself do the workout which you planned before when you don't feel like doing it?

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Sheer willpower, lol. There are days when it just won't happen, but I'm getting better.

I try to imagine what I'll look like if I can do this every time. I try to keep my goals in the forefront of my mind. I read the success stories here. Anything to motivate me.
  • batesmama
    batesmama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I don't feel like doing my workout I just tell myself to do 15 minutes instead of 30. I can do 15 minutes and next thing I know 30 minutes has gone by and I feel great about it.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    If you aren't enjoying your workout, find one which you do enjoy. If you usually enjoy it but don't feel like it on a particular day, take a day off.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Throw my clothes on and get out the door before my foggy morning brain can comprehend what I am doing. Once I am out I might as well get it done.
  • lbFighter
    lbFighter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I don't feel like doing my workout I just tell myself to do 15 minutes instead of 30. I can do 15 minutes and next thing I know 30 minutes has gone by and I feel great about it.

^^this^^

Sometimes I take even smaller baby steps (... ya know, when I'm being a big baby about it :tongue:). First I tell myself that all I have to do is show up at the gym. Then: all I have to do it get on the treadmill. Then: all I have to do is 10 min. By then I'm starting to give in to it, and it switches to: I've already done 10 min, I bet I can do 5 more. Then: 15 wasn't bad, let's keep going. And I really do stop when I'm ready to be done, but that may be 25 min or 45 min or 65 min. None of which I would have ever gotten done if I said "I'm going to do 65 min on the treadmill today."

I have a couple more tricks too, depending on how whiny my internal-self is that day. One is that I download shows onto my phone and play them through my workout so that I tell myself that I can't be done until the episode is over. Another one is go to a fitness class because I know that once I'm in the class, I can't really leave until it's over.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    self hazing... tell my lazy *kitten* to get in gear and do it and I can whine all I want when its done, but for now, get going.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    How do you make yourself do the workout which you planned before when you don't feel like doing it?

Easy. I look at what I'm doing and plan on setting some sort of PR with it. The idea of a record gets me pumped for my workout. The last time this happened was on a deadlift day. So I set a new 1RM on my deadlift. BOOM.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Do it anyway...an kill it
  • hammies77
    hammies77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Usually when I'm feeling unmotivated, I tell myself that I don't have to get in a heavy workout as long as I show up and do SOMETHING. Usually I'm just tired, so I tell myself that I can just get on the treadmill and walk slowly. Usually by the time I warm up, I feel stupid walking slowly and get into it.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I keep a notebook of disappointments when I don't want to workout I look at it. Not all in there are because of my weight but I've convinced myself that they are.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i already log how much i want to do so that way it is already made public on my page which makes me want to do it even more. Especially feels good when you see comments telling you that you did a good burn and what not.

I agree that wearing exercise clothes helps since you just want to do it more and more ready for it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just tell myself how bad I suck if I don't go and convince myself how much better I will feel after I knock it out.

The emotional pain of being overweight far outweighs the temporary pain of working out....
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's all about willpower. I remember what I'm working towards and what my goals are and that helps me get up and going.

I also try to mix my workouts up enough so that I don't get too bored or tired of one specific thing. When something becomes too routine for me and I start to get bored and feel like not doing it, I switch to something else for a bit.
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I keep in the front of my mind how disappointed I am in myself when I don't work out. It's personally a let down for me seeing as how everyone tells me I'm so strong willed.
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel like exercising, which has been most nights lately, I always remind myself how good I feel when I am done and then I just start. I always feel much better after I am done and much better about myself for doing it.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I find that there are times when I just really am better off not doing formal exercise. Oh, I get my butt out of the chair and move about. I may do a few push-ups, peddle the stationary bike five minutes - things like that. But if I'm really just too tired or unwell or need to do other things, I take the day off from formal workouts.

You can burn calories just working around the house or taking the stairs, doing normal work. Formal exercise is a relative new thing that people who set on their butts have come up with to do something to burn calories. People didn't used to have to do it as they worked most all day --- real work.

On the other hand, you can just go through the motions and do the best you can. I've done that too. Trouble is, you often don't get as much out of the workout that way.
  • Reevsie123
    Reevsie123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am in the gym at work every morning at 6:30 for my 30-40 minute workout, I enjoy exercise at weekends, although I must admit on dark cold mornings I could quite easily stay in bed.
    I intend to think of the extra calories I can eat later, once I am there and changed its no problem, unfortunately you just have to make it a habit and persevere.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How do you make yourself brush your teeth when you don't feel like it? You don't right...you just do it. How do you make yourself get up and go to work?

Stop thinking of exercise as something "extra" in your life...it's not extra...it should be just what you do. Obviously things are going to come up from time to time, but when exercise ceases to become something "extra" you'll actually start to feel a small void in your life when you miss a session.

Also, you need a decent calorie burn so that you can have beer later...
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    Don't think, just do. When I sit there and think too much about how much it's going to suck, I end up not doing it. It's better to just do it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you aren't enjoying your workout, find one which you do enjoy. If you usually enjoy it but don't feel like it on a particular day, take a day off.
    This.