Rice...Is This The Devil Even When Its Brown??

Options
12346»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    So is it not correct that white rice turns directly to sugar??? i thought that is a bad thing but from what iv been hearing i think i was misinformed???
    All rice will be broken down into sugar in the body. Same with all carbs. The body takes all macros and breaks them down to their simplest forms to be absorbed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No food is evil. All things in moderation. White rice tastes better.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    BLACK RICE FTW

Also, whole rices (unprocessed ones like brown, black, red, etc.) have more fiber, protein, and potassium because of the bran. And FYI, wild rice is a vegetable (it's a grass, not a grain - grains are seeds).

Gosh everyone is so picky. So, to join in, isn't wild rice a grass seed? Though it may not be the common usage of the word, technically every edible part of a plant is a vegetable, which would include rice.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    BLACK RICE FTW

Also, whole rices (unprocessed ones like brown, black, red, etc.) have more fiber, protein, and potassium because of the bran. And FYI, wild rice is a vegetable (it's a grass, not a grain - grains are seeds).

Gosh everyone is so picky. So, to join in, isn't wild rice a grass seed? Though it may not be the common usage of the word, technically every edible part of a plant is a vegetable, which would include rice.

Taste the black rice and see how much better it is than brown or white rice. Huge difference, IMO.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    BLACK RICE FTW

Taste the black rice and see how much better it is than brown or white rice. Huge difference, IMO.

I have tasted it. I have some in my lunch box waiting to be eaten, in fact. I don't think it tastes a whole lot different than brown. I eat both. Not sure what that has to do with wild rice being a grass seed, though.
  • bluemaine1212
    bluemaine1212 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use the Success boil in bag brown rice - stick the bag in water and microwave for 10 minutes. Works great every time! I have trouble cooking brown rice on the stove for some reason.
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I submit that wild rice is the best, takes a lot longer to cook though (but its worth it).
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I sometimes cook black rice and add it to white rice, looks and tastes lovely. I think the black rice would be a bit chewy on its own?
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Mmmm..... White jasmine rice with chicken stir fry, 2 or 3 times a week - delish!
  • psych0kitty
    Options

Wasn't being picky, just misinformed. You were right, it's the grain of the grass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_rice