Very serious wildlife question: beaver dams

Options

Replies

• beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Can you get dynamite?

Is this America? Hell yes he can get dynamite!!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Nice euphemism.

I hate it when my beaver diverts all the moisture to my neighbors tree,

Just break up.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Maybe Primus can help you. They wrote a song about someone with a troublesome beaver...

primus-o.gif
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    A man's propensity to grow fond of a beaver will always lead to the demise of his stout wood. It's just the way life is. Accept it.
    I feel like this thread was specifically set up for this response. Well played. :drinker:

dc450c9d-5c40-4819-9208-951d991f09d4_zps817a5b28.jpg
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    hmmm. Has anyone ever destroyed a beaver's dam? I don't know if that is recommended. I mean if the beaver needs the dam, you want to make sure it is intact. Who knows what you might get otherwise.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    A man's propensity to grow fond of a beaver will always lead to the demise of his stout wood. It's just the way life is. Accept it.
    I feel like this thread was specifically set up for this response. Well played. :drinker:

In b/c this is too good. And b/c of these two responses.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Meh, beavers like wood. It's the natural order of things. You would be wise to remember that it was man who first encroached on beaver territory and not ony began to deprive them of wood when they found other uses for it that suited their own selfish endeavors, but to add insult to injury began donning beaver tail on their heads as hats. Such a blow.

My advice to you in your current situation as described is to allow the beaver to use the wood as she sees fit. It's the least you can do after encroaching on her territory with your big old property. If she wants to build dams with it, let her. If the flow is not to your liking go out exploring again and find another property with either no beavers or one whose dam building is more to your liking. Please remember too that to beavers wood is an integral part of life. Don't be surprised that your big tree is so appealing to this beaver. When you consider the creative streak that a beaver must carry out is it not natural and right that when a beaver does find a large piece of resources in one place that beaver would decide to set up camp there?

Excuse me now, while I go attend my Paint with All The Colors of the Wind art class at the local rec center. I still remember when we just actually painted outdoors. Man, times have changed.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    Does the tree ever branch out? I mean sometimes those beavers chew on the roots, and you just can't have that. The tree may have to seek alternative sources of moisture. Most do eventually anyway. It just depends how long the tap root is, really.

HTH

Awesome!!
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Meh, beavers like wood. It's the natural order of things. You would be wise to remember that it was man who first encroached on beaver territory and not ony began to deprive them of wood when they found other uses for it that suited their own selfish endeavors, but to add insult to injury began donning beaver tail on their heads as hats. Such a blow.

My advice to you in your current situation as described is to allow the beaver to use the wood as she sees fit. It's the least you can do after encroaching on her territory with your big old property. If she wants to build dams with it, let her. If the flow is not to your liking go out exploring again and find another property with either no beavers or one whose dam building is more to your liking. Please remember too that to beavers wood is an integral part of life. Don't be surprised that your big tree is so appealing to this beaver. When you consider the creative streak that a beaver must carry out is it not natural and right that when a beaver does find a large piece of resources in one place that beaver would decide to set up camp there?

Excuse me now, while I go attend my Paint with All The Colors of the Wind art class at the local rec center. I still remember when we just actually painted outdoors. Man, times have changed.

So you're saying this is all my fault. Nice.

I put in a call to the local wildlife preservation office. They did suggest that type and abundance of wood is a major factor in the beaver wanting to set up shop there. Apparently even the neighbor's plot, with an array of much smaller trees, simply will not be as attractive as the one large source of wood.

They did suggest limiting access to the tree somehow, as the beaver will eventually over time destroy the tree if access is left unfettered, and then she'll simply move on to another target. Apparently she can't help gnawing on it, it's what happens with a tree that big.
  • mister_universe
    Options
    Whoever suggested dynamite, shame on you. I'm not going to unleash destruction on a poor little beaver, not like that. That's just inhumane. There's a certain responsibility that comes with being a landowner. :angry:
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Applejack_eye_roll_so_much_win_by_fundz64-d4w4pd5.gif
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    shoot and eat it?

YESSS
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Whoever suggested dynamite, shame on you. I'm not going to unleash destruction on a poor little beaver, not like that. That's just inhumane. There's a certain responsibility that comes with being a landowner. :angry:

I dunno. Some beavers enjoy a good blast now and then.
  • FatHuMan1
    Options

So you're saying this is all my fault. Nice.

I put in a call to the local wildlife preservation office. They did suggest that type and abundance of wood is a major factor in the beaver wanting to set up shop there. Apparently even the neighbor's plot, with an array of much smaller trees, simply will not be as attractive as the one large source of wood.

They did suggest limiting access to the tree somehow, as the beaver will eventually over time destroy the tree if access is left unfettered, and then she'll simply move on to another target. Apparently she can't help gnawing on it, it's what happens with a tree that big.

I think you need a change of attitude. Some of us would kill to have a tree so big it attracts beavers. On my property there is nothing but a frail sapling that bends and twists with the slightest breeze. It rarely attracts even a bird, and even then, not the attractive, showy kind of bird, but the drab, boring variety. If a huge glorious tree is your heaviest burden consider yourself lucky.
  • mister_universe
    Options
    I think you need a change of attitude. Some of us would kill to have a tree so big it attracts beavers. On my property there is nothing but a frail sapling that bends and twists with the slightest breeze. It rarely attracts even a bird, and even then, not the attractive, showy kind of bird, but the drab, boring variety. If a huge glorious tree is your heaviest burden consider yourself lucky.

I've never felt burdened by my tree. Like I said, I've loved and cared for it for as long as we've shared a plot of land.

The beaver, however...that's another story. I really am quite fond of her. She's small and cute, but troublesome, and she's rapidly changing the entire habitat around here, remaking everything to suit her desires.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    If you shoo the small, cute bunny away.....there is a good chance you will end up with many beavers fighting over the chance to get to your tree. Don't let all the beavers get to it though or it will catch a disease and die slowly.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Trap the beaver and sell the fur. Around here beavers furs go for about $40.00
  • FatHuMan1
    Options

I've never felt burdened by my tree. Like I said, I've loved and cared for it for as long as we've shared a plot of land.

The beaver, however...that's another story. I really am quite fond of her. She's small and cute, but troublesome, and she's rapidly changing the entire habitat around here, remaking everything to suit her desires.

As beavers are wont to do. I guess you need to ask yourself, is it worth changing everything to have a little beaver around? Sounds to me like you're dammed if you do and damned if you don't.