How soon do I need to eat my exercise calories?

Options
Can I spread the extra calories out into the day after? For instance, yesterday I burned 700 calories rollerskating. I went from 7-9pm, and I wasn't sure how long I was going to actually skate for, so I only ate what I usually do- actually less, I only ended up at 400 net calories for the day. Should I eat some of the extra calories I burned yesterday today? Or do they "expire"?

This is also important because I'm going hiking the over the weekend- 18 miles total- and I don't usually eat too much out on the trail. Mostly I'm just pushing fluids.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I only look at weekly totals. It's not always possible to make everything balance in a 24 hour period.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I also look at my calories as a weekly goal. I will roll over extra calories into a different day, as long as it evens out at the end of the week, I am happy.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories earned at 9pm? I grab a snack after I'm done and eat back what I feel like. The rest die, lonely and abandoned like dust in the wind.

Exercise calories earned before dinner? I eat back as many of those as I reasonably can without being ill. The rest die, just like above.

I very very rarely 'rollover' calories to later. Everyday is a defined block. When it's over, it's over. I'm far more likely to accidentally go over on a day, and then intentionally short my calories (or run more) the next day or two to balance it back.