How do you get yourself to wake up early?

Options
kariplz
kariplz Posts: 41 Member
Hello MFP folks,

I find myself for the past 3 weeks every night going to bed thinking ' i will wake up tomorrow 45 mins earlier so I can do 30DAY Shred'.

I know most of you will say.. you should work out when it's convenient for you, that's the only way it's gonna work but it hasn't been. I commute 2 hours each way to work and after 9 hours of work and then two more hours of driving in traffic by the time I get home, I don't wanna do anything but lay on my couch. I have a hard enough time meal prepping.

What's your advice on getting your butt out of bed to work out? I'm usually awake about 30 mins before I actually get out of bed. I am one of those people that just keeps hitting the snooze button until I have no choice but to get up because if I don't I will be late to work. I seriously wish I was a morning person.

Please helpppp!!

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I go to sleep early the night before.
    Keep realllllllly busy until bedtime & then just knock off. It took a couple of days to get into the routine and I felt like 10#'s of crap crammed into a 5# bag but that didn't last.
    Once over the hump, it worked really well....except that I fall asleep around 9pm and rise at 5am now no matter what :blushing: :laugh:
  • Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Android phone?

I've downloaded the Sleep as Android app, and it has been awesome!

It uses the accelerometer in your phone to to sense your sleep movements, and subsequently your sleep cycle.
    You set your alarm and give it a time window (I set 30 minutes) prior to your alarm time in which it can wake you up. Then, it wakes you up at the lightest part of your sleep cycle, which makes it considerably less miserable to hear that alarm.

You can also set the maximum number of times you're allowed to hit snooze.

Also, there are a number of failsafes against just turning off the alarm that you can choose from. I have it so that to make the alarm shut up, I have to get up and scan a QR code in the bathroom.

I've always been like you as far as waking up goes, but this has helped me a lot.

It has a 2-week free trial, and you can purchase the app permanently for $2.99. Best $3 I've ever spent.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I hear ya! I am not a morning person either. And when i do get up, i want to eat first and take my time with breakfast.

Only suggestion i have is to put your alarm somewhere where you have to get out of bed to shut it off.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    wake_up_prank-37526.gif
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Adderall XR 20 mg :laugh:
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    set your alarm clock even 15 minutes earlier. bring a full bottle of water to bed with you. at the first time it goes off drink the entire water. hit snooze and go back to sleep. TRY staying asleep with a full bladder nagging you. In the restroom have a very perky smelly plug in like zesty like berries or citrus or something. invest in a timed coffee maker that you set the night before and filled with coffee. by the time you get out of the bathroom that coffee will be ready, you'll smell it and want it. Extreme alternative for extreme laziness.... have a couple of kids. let them sleep with you at night so that when you get up for that morning tinkle they flow to fill the entire area of your bed like so much water. bam! no place to sleep, coffee's ready, you're UP!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    _D0_B1_D1_83_D0_B4_D0_B8_D0_BB_D1_8C_D0_BD_D0_B8_D0_BA-alarm-iphone-_D0_B6_D0_B8_D1_80_D0_BD_D1_8_large.jpeg
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing this for a week (also to do the 30DS). Never been a morning person, but made the decision to get up at 5am on my work days to work out. There are only 3 important things:
    1. Make the decision to get up. (This is critical)
    2. Go to bed early (7-8 hrs before you plan to get up)
    3. Get up when your alarm goes off.

And that's it.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Borrow a toddler. My 2 year old wakes me by 6 am every morning. I keep trying to get him to sleep longer but it doesn't work. I can't sleep with him jabbering and making train noises. I get up and ready and I am able to work out early in the day.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Have kids! Lol! I have not slept since 17 months and I am yawning all the time. Every morning it's like, I am up anyway! Might as well workout :laugh:
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I usually set my alarm.. LOL!:laugh:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Android phone?

I've downloaded the Sleep as Android app, and it has been awesome!

It uses the accelerometer in your phone to to sense your sleep movements, and subsequently your sleep cycle.
    You set your alarm and give it a time window (I set 30 minutes) prior to your alarm time in which it can wake you up. Then, it wakes you up at the lightest part of your sleep cycle, which makes it considerably less miserable to hear that alarm.

You can also set the maximum number of times you're allowed to hit snooze.

Also, there are a number of failsafes against just turning off the alarm that you can choose from. I have it so that to make the alarm shut up, I have to get up and scan a QR code in the bathroom.

I've always been like you as far as waking up goes, but this has helped me a lot.

It has a 2-week free trial, and you can purchase the app permanently for $2.99. Best $3 I've ever spent.

:O TOTALLY AWESOME. I have a wimpy phone, no fancy stuff for me :explode:

I've always been an early riser. I need just about 6 hours sleep to feel good when I wake up. Even when I don't set the alarm, I'm usually up within an hour of my normal time.

I do workouts after work :flowerforyou:

I feel your pain, 13 hours just for work a day. You're a brave highway warrior!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I am a morning person who has a feral cat who was taken in years ago but wants to go out to prowl every morning and walks right up my hip and stares into my face and scratches at the covers till I move thats how my days start and once he is out I can get to my run
  • bunnyklutz
    bunnyklutz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Move your alarm clock to the other side of the room. This worked for me when I had a hard time waking up in the morning. Once I was out of bed it was easier to stay out of bed. Of course I had to put the alarm clock on the whole other side of the room, farthest away possible from my bed. Just make sure its nice and loud. The alarm clock we have for my son is quiet(for an alarm clock) and turns itself off after 5 minutes.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I get up and splash water on my face it really seems to help :)
  • meeper123
    Options
    _D0_B1_D1_83_D0_B4_D0_B8_D0_BB_D1_8C_D0_BD_D0_B8_D0_BA-alarm-iphone-_D0_B6_D0_B8_D1_80_D0_BD_D1_8_large.jpeg

haha that's cool
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

How do you work up the courage?
  • meeper123
    Options

How do you work up the courage?

Oh like how do I get to the point where I am not hitting snooze? My husband is military he has to be up at 4:30 if I don't get up my dog starts barking for me to wake up lol
  • meeper123
    Options
    set your alarm clock even 15 minutes earlier. bring a full bottle of water to bed with you. at the first time it goes off drink the entire water. hit snooze and go back to sleep. TRY staying asleep with a full bladder nagging you. In the restroom have a very perky smelly plug in like zesty like berries or citrus or something. invest in a timed coffee maker that you set the night before and filled with coffee. by the time you get out of the bathroom that coffee will be ready, you'll smell it and want it. Extreme alternative for extreme laziness.... have a couple of kids. let them sleep with you at night so that when you get up for that morning tinkle they flow to fill the entire area of your bed like so much water. bam! no place to sleep, coffee's ready, you're UP!

I like that idea