How do you get yourself to wake up early?

Options

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    e1rXcFW.gif
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person AT ALL and I never have been. I work out after I get home from work.
  • Pete0725
    Pete0725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That's one hell of a commute. I can relate as I had a similar commute. Is it possible to go to a gym close to your job after work?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It's interesting, but when I was younger- my twenties, thirties, and half way into my forties- I was a night person and could not get out of bed early to save my life.

Then, sometime in my late forties, something changed. I am now a morning person and get up at 5 a.m. weekday mornings to work out. It really feels good to do get up early and exercise, but my drive to work is only ten minutes away.

Since you commute so much, I would suggest trying this getting up early to do your exercise one day at a time. Just make yourself get up so you have enough time to do your shred. You can do it!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Duck-Sleeping-GIF.gif
  • kariplz
    kariplz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your suggestion! This is dumb but I seriously didn't think about it. I think the best idea is to get an actual Alarm and put it in my bathroom (This is the furthest away spot in my room). Right now using my phone for alarm and I put it right under my head .. lol too easy to hit snooze and go right back to dreaming.

Right now, I'm going to gym for about 45 mins right after the gym, I'm following the C25K program (I go to 1. to avoid traffic and 2. to feel like I'm doing some form of exercise. ) but I feel like I'm never giving it my all and I'm just slugging to it.. Lol maybe this getting used to getting up early will prepare me for kids hahaa
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Duck-Sleeping-GIF.gif

omg. it's so freekin cute :noway:
  • Italian_mom
    Italian_mom Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    set your workout clothes the night before so you are ready to go!
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have found the best way to get up early to workout is by not getting up early but changing my wake up time. By this I mean, if you are currently getting up at 6:00am and would like to get up at 5:15 three days a week to exercise then get up at 5:15 everyday and use the non exercise day as "me" time. Read the book you have been meaning to get to, do crafts, anything you enjoy and look forward to doing. Also, and maybe the hardest, if you want to get up at 5:15 during the week, don't sleep past 7:00 on the weekends. A steady schedule is an early riser's best friend. Personally I find snooze to be evil, the extra sleep is not helpful and it makes me sluggish all day. When the alarm goes off, I turn it off and get out of bed. That is the hardest change for most of my friend that wanted to "be morning" people.
  • aneetar
    aneetar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Never could do it on my own the thirty-odd years I've been alive, but a side-effect of wanting to rid myself of the extra kilos has been the arrival of the skylark version of me. I hired a personal exercise trainer; he arrives 7.30 am; the shame of having to make someone wait for a sleepyhead has seen to it that I somehow crawl out of bed about an hour start time. This sure is an expensive way to re-set one's routine. Won't complain - I've seen more beautiful sunrises the last two months than the rest of my life end to end.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    I have 53 animals on my property to feed and water. Getting up isnt an option-my dogs alone would mutiny.
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    _D0_B1_D1_83_D0_B4_D0_B8_D0_BB_D1_8C_D0_BD_D0_B8_D0_BA-alarm-iphone-_D0_B6_D0_B8_D1_80_D0_BD_D1_8_large.jpeg

I love this!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm just used to getting up between 5-6am and I don't workout right away in the morning (mostly because I have never been able to eat within an hour of waking up and I can't exercise if I haven't had something to eat around at least an hour before). I'm an evening exerciser. Getting up early will really stink for a week or so, but go to bed as early as you can and keep that time consistent. I always go to bed around 10pm and get up around 5:30am and my body is pretty used to it. I will occasionally sleep in until 7am but that really throws me off.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I wake at 5am because it's the only time of the day I consistently control. I found consistency helps a lot and after a couple hard weeks, it becomes habit. 10 to 13 weeks for the habits to start setting in and 18 months later, I wake up and workout without any pause or thought. So worth the changing of my sleep pattern
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Define early :p

I'm up at 6am every day, I go to bed at 10pm at the latest... but I just wake up naturally. I can't remember the last time I slept past 7.30am.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a really good solution for you, but many days it is sheer willpower. Even after 7 years of getting up early most days to exercise, there are a lot that I have to push myself. I do give myself time to hit snooze once or twice, though. After a while, whether it gets easier or not, you will love getting it done. Such a good feeling heading into your day!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    _D0_B1_D1_83_D0_B4_D0_B8_D0_BB_D1_8C_D0_BD_D0_B8_D0_BA-alarm-iphone-_D0_B6_D0_B8_D1_80_D0_BD_D1_8_large.jpeg

I love this!

Me too. Haha.

I decide the night before. It sounds silly, but I tell myself I am getting up, I set the alarm and all my stuff is ready to go. When the alarm goes off, I do not think about it, I get right up. By the time I get up and am moving, its too late to go back to bed. If the alarm goes off and I think about whether or not I am getting up, its over. I pick bed everytime.
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I set many alarms to make sure I don't sleep again, and get all my clothes ready the night before so I have no excuse not to get out of bed :)
  • demidee5
    Options
    Discipline, discipline...and then more discipline! I'm like you and find it difficult to get up early in the morning. I've found a few things that help though, chief among them to be STRICT about going to bed ON TIME. Sleep is an important part of overall health and losing weight (IMO). If I don't set a regular time to go to bed, I always get distracted with other things and then feel yucky in the morning for going to bed too late. There's some amount of sacrifice in this in that you may have to cut out other things (watching TV, reading a book whatever) in order to do this, so just figure out what's the most important and cut out all the extra stuff that steals your time.
    2nd has been to schedule 1-2 early morning fitness classes each week. I go to a small place that's less expensive than a gym, but you have to sign up for each class online and they're max 10 people, so if you don't show up it's really obvious and you still have to pay...so that's a motivator for me to get my butt out of bed.
    Another helpful thing is to make an appointment with a friend - either set up a workout date together, or just call each other in the morning as a motivator. If you're responsible to someone else to get up, you may be more likely to do it.
    Third is to find some 20-30 minute workouts to fit your busy schedule (I think you mentioned the 30-day shred).
    Do you have a lunch break during your day where you can at least go on a walk? That could be a nice supplement...
  • CaptainMilda
    CaptainMilda Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Borrow a toddler. My 2 year old wakes me by 6 am every morning. I keep trying to get him to sleep longer but it doesn't work. I can't sleep with him jabbering and making train noises. I get up and ready and I am able to work out early in the day.

Hah, gotta be the best comment ever ;-)

Motivate yourself to get up early, you know that you will feel great afterwards, which usually gets me up and going...