Women over 40

Options
13»

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    In for awesome older women. For me, the weight is coming off slower, but my patience is better. I have stuck with it a year now, and as much as I wish the scale would move more, I am seeing other good things happening. Feel free to add me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In for awesome older women. For me, the weight is coming off slower, but my patience is better. I have stuck with it a year now, and as much as I wish the scale would move more, I am seeing other good things happening. Feel free to add me.
    Great point. I am perimenopausal, and I definitely have to be more diligent now or I'll gain (and I'm more active, not less, than I used to be), but I AM more diligent so it does work out, for the most part.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    NOPE! I am 68 and as i write that - i really find it hard to believe. I now weigh what i weighed when i was 18 and i haven't been anywhere near here in 45 or more years. I am also in the best shape - fitness wise.
    MFP has made that difference. And my readiness to stick to it and lose the weight. Had MFP been available 20 years ago - i don't know - i can't answer if i would have been ready to do this. But finally - i was and was told about MFP. I was a 10-12 - pushing size 14 all my life. I just went out and bought 2 pairs of shorts - different brands - in size 6 ! I can't even get my head around that!

So YES - in your 40's - you can do it. Its not harder. Its a matter of motivation. Logging everything. Exercise! I know a lot of posters say you don't have to exercise, but i have exercised an insane amount. Why? Well - i didn't want to go through 6 months of eating at 1200 calories a day. I would rather go out and ride 20 miles on my bike so that i could add another 600-700 calories to eat. And that all made it so doable.

So stick to it - the rewards are unbelievable!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am 62. For me, eating less calories than I burn has worked. I think it is really that simple, but simple does not mean easy and some people may have issues that make it harder to lose than others. You have to experiment and find out what works for you. Motivation and committment play a huge part in success for me. Most people can succeed. Best of luck to all who really want to become healthier, it is a very worthwhile journey.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, and I've found that it takes a little bit more effort now, but once I learned the trick of losing weight (calorie deficit, duh), everything fell into place. In my twenties I dropped 30 pounds just by switching to diet soda. In my 30s, I lost weight by just "watching carbs". Now I actually have to do the math. It's not such a hardship though, and the results have been totally worth it. :drinker:
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I am 55.
    At age 51....hello weight gain, big time, as in 30 lbs.
    Quit smoking, menopause, love to cook/eat, dont exercise, portion sizes, far too many carbs ! And sodium...not to mention calories, and no longer work (as in walking all day and climbing 15 stairs to my office as a restaurant manager).
    Losing weight is a much slower process now than it used to be, but that is fine, not in a hurry.
    I got serious with MFP three months ago and it has made a world of difference for me. I had no clue what I was eating before and logging everything helps a lot !
    SW 183
    CW 150
    Goal weight 140ish. At 5'7
    I still maintain everything I have done in my 30's and 40's just on a much smaller scale, eating wise.
    And the best thing is...I feel so much better now.
    I currently weigh less than I did 10 years ago. Which is amazing.
    Besides the inches lost, I am on a mission not to be told I have to take any prescription meds.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and this time has been the most successful and the easiest. I have learned a lot from being on MFP. I lift heavy and run. Two things I never even considered doing before.

My favorite advice: Focus on being healthy, have a ton of patience, & be consistent.
  • karijoeide
    Options
    I am with so many others, at 45 I have not found losing weight any more difficult than in my 20's. I think the big factor that has made such a difference is knowledge...something most of us didn't have back in our 20's...there is more information out there now than there has ever been and I truly take advantage of all of it to make a better, healthier me.
  • klbsab
    klbsab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and although I don't find losing weight anymore difficult than when I was younger, I do find it more difficult to get my body to easily bounce back to what it looked like previously. My skin and muscles (or lack of) are not as quick to rebound and it takes more dedication on my part to get the results that I desire.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Op I agree it is harder you have to be more disciplined for sure especially if your one of the unlucky s that experience estrogen dominance as we head towards the big M...I hear a lot of woman actually lose weight easier after the big M due to lack of estrogen....Once we hit this age and beyond it all depends...some have no problem because hormones are balanced some struggle..I suffered with estrogen dominance for awhile, I had to get that fixed ( balanced) before I could even consider losing weight.....and I quit smoking two whammys.. I can't eat like I did in my twenties and I'm sure these other posters whom says its a breeze to lose in the forties don't either..I can almost guarantee it...lol. Watching calories ,exercise and discipline a lot of discipline it will start to come off

actually, since you're calling us liars...

given the same amount of exercise, I eat pretty much the same I did in my 20's.

the ones who think their metabolism shut down, just stopped moving as much.

^^ Agreed.

Actually, I'm finding it easier this time. Not easy, but easier. Of course, that's largely due to a thyroid issue being treated now. But still.

When I'm stalling, it generally boils down to my math being off: overestimating burns or not being totally accurate with my logging, or both. I'm also much more active now, and stronger, than I was in my 20's.

Consistent accurate logging, strength training, and running have allowed me to lose. It's not magic.

The running helps me create a deficit, it's not necessary, but I like food, so there ya' go.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My metabolism didn't shut down. I have been doing various things like increasing cals, lowering cals, maintaining weight, working out not working out and from what I can observe my body is responding to these things just as it always has. Just my experience though. I may be a special snowflake and damned lucky one at that. One thing that has changed since that age for me though is my putting up with crap threshold has gone way down and my BS-o-meter is on point!
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I tried and tried to lose weight all through my 30's- and even when I did I always gained it back. I was 45 almost 46 when I found MFP and started counting and logging calories, and eating less calories than I burned/burning more than I ate. WOW! IT WORKED! Woo hoo! lol The hard part was finding a way to do that, as accurately as possible, and MFP was a fantastic tool for me. So , for me, weight loss got easier in my 40's because I go smarter in my approach. I found what worked for me. I think that is the key. :) Good luck!
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    NOPE! I am 68 and as i write that - i really find it hard to believe. I now weigh what i weighed when i was 18 and i haven't been anywhere near here in 45 or more years. I am also in the best shape - fitness wise.
    MFP has made that difference. And my readiness to stick to it and lose the weight. Had MFP been available 20 years ago - i don't know - i can't answer if i would have been ready to do this. But finally - i was and was told about MFP. I was a 10-12 - pushing size 14 all my life. I just went out and bought 2 pairs of shorts - different brands - in size 6 ! I can't even get my head around that!

So YES - in your 40's - you can do it. Its not harder. Its a matter of motivation. Logging everything. Exercise! I know a lot of posters say you don't have to exercise, but i have exercised an insane amount. Why? Well - i didn't want to go through 6 months of eating at 1200 calories a day. I would rather go out and ride 20 miles on my bike so that i could add another 600-700 calories to eat. And that all made it so doable.

So stick to it - the rewards are unbelievable!

Congrats to you!
    All the other women past their 40's...you guys are inspiring to me! You ladies make me feel like I could move the mountain. Thank you!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Good point about us eating differently than we did when we were younger. There is no way I could survive on as little food as I used to eat. I don't think my metabolism has changed much, but my appetite went up and my activity level went down. I can no longer live on 4 slices of pizza while walking 2-3 hours a day all over a college campus. Or eat two packages of Ramen and pull off a 12 hour shift as a cocktail waitress. And I've no idea how I used to dance all night on a grilled cheese sandwich! I'm not sure how I survived those years, but I'm not surprised my weight stayed low.