Beginners running

Options
I want to start running obviously as a form of exercise, but also as a simple way to get out of the house more. How did you get started running? I could use all the tips I can get!

Replies

• redskink2
    redskink2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started running end of August and am now up to running for 30 minutes straight (and I wasn't doing much of anything at the time - 60seconds running left me breathless and ready for a nap!). Get one of the C25K (Coach to 5kms) apps. I used RunDouble but there are others on the market. I was recommended it by friends and found it a great way to start running without getting injured or overdoing it.

Have fun!
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I probably did it wrong but I laced up my sneakers and hopped on the treadmill, LOL
    I wouldn't recommend that tho....

These forums have been a great support system for me as well as friends who run.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    pitbullgirl: Ha I wish I had a treadmill O.o i'm hoping to be able to run since it's something I loved to do as a kid. Thanks, by the way!

redskink2: wow great progess! though I totally get what you mean about 60 seconds of running phew that leaves me dead lol. I'll check that out, thanks!

how do you run in the winter (unless you have a treadmill or live in an area that doesn't get unbearably cold)?
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    pitbullgirl: Ha I wish I had a treadmill O.o i'm hoping to be able to run since it's something I loved to do as a kid. Thanks, by the way!

redskink2: wow great progess! though I totally get what you mean about 60 seconds of running phew that leaves me dead lol. I'll check that out, thanks!

how do you run in the winter (unless you have a treadmill or live in an area that doesn't get unbearably cold)?

I've kind of always been a runner I guess. Track in HS and whenever I exercised after that I ran. I slowly built up to my distances though. A lot of people on this page are fans of the C25k program. I can't speak on it personally, but you should give it a try.

As far as running in the cold, just buy some cold gear then lace up and go. I prefer cold weather running over spring.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    I've kind of always been a runner I guess. Track in HS and whenever I exercised after that I ran. I slowly built up to my distances though. A lot of people on this page are fans of the C25k program. I can't speak on it personally, but you should give it a try.

As far as running in the cold, just buy some cold gear then lace up and go. I prefer cold weather running over spring.

I looked it up and it sounds perfect for me, thanks. (: Also, I figure i'd rather start running when it's 40 degrees as opposed to 90 so that's a good point. Thanks!
  • I started running when I went for a walk at night and I felt like running .it felt so good I didn't want to start but I've haven't went running in like 2 weeks I miss it I'm going to start again. But I start super slow like a fast walk than I start jogging at a good pace than at the very end I push myself than I start fast walking again
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I started running 7 years ago and 4 5ks, 3 10ks, 9 HM and one full 26.2 later, I think I can say I'm hooked...!

Few handy tips...
    - start slow, walk if you have to. Maybe do 1min run/2min walk to start with and build up distances sloooowwly!
    - go to a proper running shop for shoes...the wrong ones can wreak havoc!
    - listen to your body...aches can be normal; sharp twinges not so much!
    - road running is different to treadmill running. If you start on a treadmill, it might be harder when you hit the road.
    -running is amazing!

Enjoy...! :smile:
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I started out walking at first but I always wanted to run as well. I used to walk early in the mornings before every one was up. I didn't want people to see me huffing and puffing so I'd still get up extra early and walk a block, then run a block. I did this until I was actually running more than walking. Now running is my favorite type of exercise. I'd say take your time and try it out. You could even do that on the treadmill by walking five minutes, then running two minutes. Build up your ability slowly till you can run longer.

Best wishes!
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 3 of c25k tomorrow and love it. You should try it out.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how-to-run-a-marathon-barney-stinson.png
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    When I was still living with my parents last year they told me I was no longer on their Y membership (I aged out). Granted I hadn't used it in forever since I was off at school but I wanted to start doing something. After failing to complete Insanity (I did somewhere around 40 of the 60 days I think--I think it was the daily time commitment that made me stop), I decided to try and start running. I didn't use C25K like a lot of people do, but I did do something similar with intervals of walking and running.

I was off and on with running until the end of the summer this year where I picked it back up and did 2 5ks in September and now going for an 8k on Thanksgiving. After this one, I just may set my eyes on a half in the spring!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I started as a teenager. I used to hike for miles and miles on trails in the hills just for the fresh air and the beauty. It was a great way to get out and away from my troubles. One day I just felt the urge to run. I started slow and built up endurance. I always thought it was cooler, personally, to go further rather than faster anyways...

I only run on hard surfaces (like asphalt and pavement) during races - it's too much wear and tear on me to do it long-term. The one time I was really injured was when I trained on sidewalks. Never again. I've been training on dirt trails for decades now. Love it!
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I started over the summer. I barely walked 20min on the treadmill & started running out of boredom, you know get the mile I was barely walking over with. I never ran before in my life & was able to go from 0 running to 4miles in 8 weeks using the ZombiesRun c25k program. I now run 5-10k on run days. It's my favorite form of exercise. My goal is to run a half by my one year runaversary.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I tried to run so many times and failed each time. Hated running! HATED IT! Finally this summer, for some reason I tried again. And again. And again. And again, and kept going. I started with a few minutes at a time. Then a little further each time I went out, to the next land mark ahead, 3 - 4 times a week. I started running in early August. I'm now running 35 - 40 minutes on good days. 3k's at a minimum to 4 miles. I could barely do a 1/2 mile when I started. For some reason it clicked this time. I have no idea why, I have no idea why I stuck with it, I just did. I still don't love it every time, but I like it more. Some runs are awesome and I feel great. Some not so much, but I'm out there 3 -4 times/week.
    Make sure to get good shoes, get fitted at a running store, spend the money on good shoes. It will make ALL the difference in the world!!! Good luck and have fun!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k iPod app. I couldn't run at all before I did this program. I live in MN and run year round. Cold doesn't keep me inside! With appropriate layers you can run in any weather.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    great advice everyone, thank you so much!

I'll be running around my apartment complex and using the C25k program :)

wilsoje74: great to hear, I'm a Minnesotan too.

Only thing concerns me is my asthma

That's great, janinab75! Congrats. I've never tried running but have wanted too for a very long time. I have a pair of running shoes but I'm not sure how good they are.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    bump
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    bump
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    bump
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options