Beginners running

Options
2»

Replies

• goseecallie
    Options
    I just started running this weekend using c25k. I have done three sessions and I am already seeing progress... I too have asthma. I use my rescue inhaler before I hit the pavement and make sure I slow down when my lungs tell me.. Better lung capacity=less attacks. Best of luck!
  • elmr34
    elmr34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k!!

Remember you can run REALLY SLOW at first. If you are getting out of breath, shoulder/side pain, then slow down!

I also did Jillian's 30 Day Shred videos (I don't run every day)- the cardio on them is killer and made running MUCH EASIER for me.

Watch some of those 'how to run' videos just so you can try to get the basic posture right.

I started running about 6 months ago. I've done two 5ks, the last one I did in 31 minutes (pretty proud of that), and today I ran 4 miles. :)
  • ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    C25K all the way! It's a 9 week interval running program that gradually increases your endurance and stops you from over exerting yourself in the beginning (so you don't get burnt out or discouraged). I'm in week 5 and just hit the point where I realized I can run without getting so out of breath I have to stop. Check out C25K.com or download an app for your phone - there's plenty of free ones. I use one that runs in the background as I listen to Pandora. It tells me when to run, walk, and when to turn around when I'm halfway done. It's a great way to get into running if you're a novice, or if it's been a while.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a running app (C210K), laced up the shoes, then started!! It's tough and I am out of shape, but I see improvement each time!! Good luck!!
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    how-to-run-a-marathon-barney-stinson.png

^^ This
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I used a Couch to 5 K program (C25K), and it helped me a lot. I just found the free podcasts online and downloaded them to my ipod. It gives cues on the intervals.

My biggest tip - discomfort is normal when you start to run, but outright pain is not. If you are in pain, stop, figure out the source of the pain and resolve it. Trying to continue through pain can lead to more problems.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Most importantly: Get good shoes!!!

Other than that, just go. Enjoy yourself. Running for me is a way to be alone with my thoughts, and to get a grip on the world. :)
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who answers, I feel so much better and motivated that I can do this. My asthma has only improved over the years, much worse when I was little so I'll just use my rescue inhaler before and take it with me in case.

I'm looking into the app as well (:

Also I do plan on doing the 30 Day Shred at some point since I have the DVD.

I have these shoes but I don't know if they're good for running or not

http://www.davidjmead.com/images/Nike Free Run 2 Mens Running Shoes - Black Purple_04.jpg
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I have these shoes but I don't know if they're good for running or not

http://www.davidjmead.com/images/Nike Free Run 2 Mens Running Shoes - Black Purple_04.jpg

It's kinda hard to tell by looking. Make sure they are fairly light-weight (for me, the lighter the better) and make sure they are well padded around where ever you strike your foot, especially if you're a heel striker, like me. I'd say, though, that the most important thing is to make sure that they fit really well.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I started at the beginning of August - I got the app Zombies Run! and that's what got me going - been going ever since!
  • redskink2
    redskink2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well I'm in OZ - no real cold where I am (and I run at the gym any way).
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A C25k app is really helpful to make sure you do it gradually. RunDouble is a good one. You can use your own music, it gives you cues as to when to run and when to walk.

Get good shoes. Go to a specialized place and let them help you. Don't choose the cute shoes; choose the shoes that are the best fit.

Discomfort is fine, but don't run through outright pain.

Go out, run, walk, whatever. Have fun!