Anyone else not like Thanksgiving food?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I love Thanksgiving food! Juicy turkey, green bean casserole, creamy mashed potatoes, sausage and cornbread stuffing, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, more green bean casserole. Did I mention green bean casserole?
    green-bean-casserole_zpsc8156d7c.jpg

Everyone: please leave this thread immediately so the casserole and I can be alone together.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I like it but it's not worth all the trouble. My family has stopped cooking all that crap evey year. This year we are having a good old southern fish fry with catfish, hush puppies, slaw, and spanish rice. THAT is worth the trouble of cooking all day.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I adore Thanksgiving and the food, except the Green Bean Casserole...lol now that's nasty stuff. Bring on the turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, pumpkin casserole, banana pudding, chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, rolls and more rolls, and some turkey and dumplings. oh and for the dressing, it's cornbread of course :) yeah I'm all about this day.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I like pumpkin pie, but that's about it. I've been vegetarian most of my life, and traditional holiday foods mostly aren't vegetarian.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't really like much of Thanksgiving dinner either. I'll eat some turkey, but probably not a lot, some mashed potatoes, some corn, but that's most likely it. No stuffing or sweet potatoes for me. I don't usually like any desserts that we have, I don't eat any kind of pie. This year I'll eat some dessert because I'm making brownies. But I probably could still log everything and it would be just like any other day for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Also, I know a bunch of people around here have some really ****ed up issues with food...but traditional T-giving foods are in no way "unhealthy"....it's just your jacked *kitten* perception of ****.

I have no issue with the healthiness (or unhealthiness) of the food. Just the taste. Most T-giving foods are mediocre-tasting at best.

Just hang around MFP awhile...you'll find that a vast many have all kinds of disordered thinking about food in general and pretty much **** their pants when the holidays roll around...thus all of the "holidays are coming....oh noes" threads.

I'd also say someone is screwing up the cooking if it only tastes mediocre...my cooking is the bomb.
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    As far as the food, I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie or stuffing. But love turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, beans, cranberries, homemade rolls, apple pie... so I am usually with a plate full. My mom cooks up a storm and makes enough for a small army, and a lot of variety. Now I'm hungry... when is dinner? :love:
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I'm with you. I hate Thanksgiving food. Turkey sucks. Cranberry whatever-that-is sucks. That brown mushy stuff sucks. Mashed potatoes suck.

The pumpkin pie is good, but even that is inferior to apple pie. I mean really, does anyone ever eat pumpkin pie at any time *other* than Thanksgiving?
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options

I'd also say someone is screwing up the cooking if it only tastes mediocre...my cooking is the bomb.

^^^^ This! Also, Thanksgiving food doesn't have to be fat and sugar laden to taste good either, but I've never liked the marshmallows on my sweet potatoes.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of any traditional Thanksgiving dishes. We usually do a family buffet with everyone bringing their favorite dishes. For us it's about being together and FOOTBALL! With a great buffet you can graze all day :bigsmile:
  • kateistoned
    Options
    I dislike turkey, ham, mashed taters, gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes...all of it. My family does non-traditional meals since both my sister and I hate Thanksgiving food. We often do steak and crab legs on my mom's side and Italian on my dad's.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    besides the whole roasted turkey, stuffing mashed things.. my grandmother always made a HUGE pot of spaghetti sauce with a whole turkey in it, plus the meatballs and stuff... and we had ravioli too or sometimes cavitells... food is without limits and feasts are FEASTS. (we won't talk about what happens when you slow-cook bird in sauce-yes we will, every bone in the bird ends up swirling around with MY ravioli.) but the taste is incomparable.

so I'm suggesting.. make some pierogi as a side?
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the traditional foods either (save sweet potatoes - and yes with butter and sugar or homemade bread). I do love wine, which flows freely at our Thanksgiving :-)

Who wants my stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy?
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ^ Whiskey! ;)

Not a fan of it all either. Perhaps it is just the tradition of the meal that is sentimental for me.

Really, the only thing I care for is the mashed potatoes (no gravy)!

I don't have to worry about it though because I live away from my family and I just enjoy my long weekend with whatever food I want! Cheers!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    :noway: :drinker: <===one cup is gravy the other is mashed potatoes...bottoms up!

I could so do that.

I love thanksgiving food (when it's done right). My brother got married a long time ago, and his new wife wanting to impress the family hosted Thanksgiving in her home. She insisted on doing all the cooking. We all came, and ate, and nobody was happy. The stuffing was too gritty (We all grew up on bread cubes not crumbs), the mashed potatoes were not lumpy or buttery, the gravy was lacking, cranberry sauce were cranberries, not the jelly. PLus some traditional family sides were missing (turnips and rutabagas, cream style corn).

She cried for a week.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    When it becomes more about WHO you're with and WHAT you're thankful for- and not about the FOOD, then it really doesn't matter what's on the menu.
    I've offered to have it here, and everyone I've invited knows it may not be the *traditional* food groups.
    It's a pot luck and everyone brings their own dishes and shares.

a couple years ago we grilled burgers cuz that's what everyone was in the mood for.

Times I've gone to other places- and I know I won't be able to eat most of the stuff due to food issues.
    So I eat before I go....and it's about spending time with the people I love.
    I'm just one person among a HUGE family...it's not about me.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Turkey. No way, no how, never, ever, forever. I'll cook it for the gobblers, but it will never be in MY digestive system. Only thing I really like are the sweet potatoes and the dressing my sister makes.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    We don't like many of the traditional foods, either, but what is generally thought of as traditional doesn't have much to do with what they ate back then. I hate sweet potato casseroles with marshmallows, and green bean casseroles, and we're not turkey fans. So we roast duck, make baked polenta with mushrooms--they had corn--roasted brussels sprouts and a big salad that includes nuts and roasted beets, and cranberry sauce sweetened with maple sugar. This year instead of mashed potatoes, we're making potato latkes, because it's also Chanukah.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    :noway: :drinker: <===one cup is gravy the other is mashed potatoes...bottoms up!

I could so do that.

I love thanksgiving food (when it's done right). My brother got married a long time ago, and his new wife wanting to impress the family hosted Thanksgiving in her home. She insisted on doing all the cooking. We all came, and ate, and nobody was happy. The stuffing was too gritty (We all grew up on bread cubes not crumbs), the mashed potatoes were not lumpy or buttery, the gravy was lacking, cranberry sauce were cranberries, not the jelly. PLus some traditional family sides were missing (turnips and rutabagas, cream style corn).

She cried for a week.

People didn't eat up and compliment her? I hope that's not true. That would be so opposed to the spirit of the day.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of turkey, mashed potatoes, weird casseroles, pumpkin pie, or other traditional Thanksgiving food. I'll eat it, because it's usually the only option, but those things will never be my first choice. I see people on the forums freaking out because they don't want to eat everything at T-giving and ruin their progress, and I see other people saying they will not worry about it at all, and eat all they want. I guess I fall into the second category, because I will eat all I want, which is not very much.

Not trying to be serious here, but is there anyone else that feels the same way about Thanksgiving?

Why don't you start your own traditions?

I am hosting my first Thanksgiving next week (the in-laws are finally meeting) and we decided that we don't like a whole roasted bird...so we ordered a smoked turkey breast from a BBQ joint that we love. We have sides that we want, and told the members joining that this is what we are having...if you want X, Y or Z than you are going to have to bring it. And if there a ton left that you take it with you.