Tamales.

13»

Replies

• mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    On a recent trip to New Mexico, great tamales were everywhere, and so inexpensive. When I got home, I wanted to make them, but looking at the lard involved, got off that quickly. then it occurred to me that polenta was almost the same thing. I make a super-easy polenta in the oven, no sitting around stirring forever. and when it set, I realized, I had my easy, lowfat tamales. Make the polenta (liook up a baked polenta recipe like this" http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/18/food/la-fo-calcookrec18a-2010feb18). But leave it in the fridge to semi-set. Then use whatever cooked filling you like--I like pork adovada, but also make a really nice red chile with beer for this--and do your thing with the corn husks.

This takes care of the whole steamer issue, too. Your masa is cooked. Your filling is cooked. You can just re-heat in the microwave.
  • cariorliz
    cariorliz Posts: 26 Member
    SERIOUSLY....love them...yes they are a pita to make...but growing up we always had tamale parties....and if you did not help to amke any...you were not eating....

need to make some soon!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    traditional New Mexico Hatch red chile and pork.

page-tamales.png

I don't make them myself though...they are in abundance during the holiday season here and there are native New Mexicans that do a far better job of preparing them than I ever would. i do make my own posole though.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    My favorite are the ones that go straight to your gut and take about three months to burn off. I live 30minutes from Sonora, Mexico....some absolutely mouth watering tamales over here.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Red Chile & beef with an olive! Love tamales! :love:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    the sausage ones from this little road side stand in Shreveport, LA are amazing. My grandmother gets them only from there and they are nice and HOT. Every time we go visit or my mom visits I demand that some have to be brought back. mmhmmm.

What kind of sausage? Because this sounds intriguing.

Really you MUST elaborate because I am curious. So far country sausage comes to mind possibly?

Okay so I checked with my mom and I'm disappointed to report that they she thinks they are actually pork. And now I'm disappointed in myself for not knowing my meat well enough. Still super delicious though. So ready for some over the holidays that she brought back.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    saving for later...