Lifting Footwear

Options
I'm working through Stronglifts 5x5, and having some great strength gains in a short period all ready.

I normally wear my retired Mizuno Wave Rider 16 running shoes when I lift, as I don't have any other trainers.

Last night I opted to do my lifting barefoot, and I was surprised by how much more engaged my quads and glutes felt during my squats.

Does the fact that my running shoes have 12.4 mm heel-toe drop make a big impact on my squats and deadlifts? Should I be looking at getting a more minimalist type shoe for lifting?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's not the difference- it's the compaction/spongey issue.

OLY lifting shoes have a wooden heel- so there is stability- no compression- but there is a difference from heel to toe.

barefood
    socks
    chucks
    vibrums
    New Balance Minimalus
    actual OLY shoes (although they are same price as other shoes- around 70- 100 something a pop)
    men's dress shoes are apparently an acceptable option too (who knew!)

all good options
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Good to know!!!

I'm also using retired Mizuno wave rider to lift.... Figured I had to make the most of expensive shoes...

Now I have an excuse to buy new shoes just for the gym!! Yay!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I lift barefoot or in Vibrams.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    vibrams
    New Balance Minimalus

these two work great for me
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    it's not the difference- it's the compaction/spongey issue.

OLY lifting shoes have a wooden heel- so there is stability- no compression- but there is a difference from heel to toe.

barefood
    socks
    chucks
    vibrums
    New Balance Minimalus
    actual OLY shoes (although they are same price as other shoes- around 70- 100 something a pop)
    men's dress shoes are apparently an acceptable option too (who knew!)

all good options

Agreed.

I started off in regular running sneakers and have since tried most of those suggestions.

I prefer vibrams or new balance minimus for everything except the true olypmic lifts (in which case I prefer oly shoes).
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I lift in bright pink chuck taylors. They make me happy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I wear my Merrel minimalist shoes.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

I just bought the same chucks! I went for the more neon pink vs the baby pink ;) Can't wait to lift in them!
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    its the "squishiness" and instability of the shoe that makes a difference.

I used to do squats and deadlifts barefooted till I bought OLY shoes, either way works
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how seriously you are into lifting and if you have the $$$ to fork over for a pair of lifting shoes.

I used to squat in socks or bare feet before I got a pair of lifting shoes. HUGE difference in stability when squatting. I use them for Overhead Press & Olympic lifts as well. I do not like the heel elevation for deadlifts, however, so I stick with socks for those.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

I just bought the same chucks! I went for the more neon pink vs the baby pink ;) Can't wait to lift in them!

Mine too. Enjoy :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    When you wear shoes that have a heel that's elevated above the ball of the foot, you're shifting more of the load onto the quadriceps, so the glutes and hamstrings do MUCH less work. Lifting in running shoes is no bueno. If you want to do it right you need to do it barefoot or in shoes that have no heel elevation over the toe.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I wear vibram 5 fingers. I don't know if it's all in my head, but I feel I have better balance in them. And they are way lighter then a bulky runner.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    When you wear shoes that have a heel that's elevated above the ball of the foot, you're shifting more of the load onto the quadriceps, so the glutes and hamstrings do MUCH less work. Lifting in running shoes is no bueno. If you want to do it right you need to do it barefoot or in shoes that have no heel elevation over the toe.

and oly lifting shoes???
  • 808haoleboy
    808haoleboy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use my retired NB minimus.
    No compression needed!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    All good things to know.

Guess some minimalist shoes can go on my Christmas list!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    OLYs for Olympic lifts
    Flat bottom shoes for power lifting
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

and oly lifting shoes???

The stance afforded by Oly lifting shoes which have a significantly elevated heel on an otherwise flat bottom is for competition purposes. It helps you move more weight. That is a different matter entirely when you're actually trying to train your muscles. The stance more or less is designed to allow you to "cheat" on the lift. It's an entirely different goal that people who aren't training for that specific sport shouldn't really pay much mind to.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    I lift with basketball shoes ;) & reebok realflex trainers
  • JoRocka
    Options

and oly lifting shoes???

The stance afforded by Oly lifting shoes which have a significantly elevated heel on an otherwise flat bottom is for competition purposes. It helps you move more weight. That is a different matter entirely when you're actually trying to train your muscles. The stance more or less is designed to allow you to "cheat" on the lift. It's an entirely different goal that people who aren't training for that specific sport shouldn't really pay much mind to.

but saying "doing it right" then you must be barefoot is incorrect.

it is neither wrong nor right to lift with a stable heel.

It removes ankle instability and allows you to move through a deeper ranger of motion you may or may not have been able to hit- it's why we train people with little 2.5 lb weights under the ankles. It's not "cheating" it's just a thing. cheating makes it sound like it's WRONG.

It's neither right nor wrong- it's just a thing.