No carbs at dinner?

Options

Replies

• tinawhitlock
    Options
    About 6 months ago I listened to my trainer's nutritional advice and have put on 15 pounds of fat.... not muscle. So my advise would be journal, try to stay within your calories, and exercise. Just my 2 cents. And don't give up.
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Interesting... Thanks for sharing. I wonder if anyone can look at my food journal and tell me if I'm eating anything too much or wrong...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat low carb, don't eat low carb. Your trainer is WRONG. When you eat carbs is irrelevant. If you are in a calorie deficit your body will burn off the carbs no matter when you eat them. Not eating enough calories is a major problem, eating carbs is perfectly fine.
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'd listen to your trainer as they usually are doing a personal assessment not a general one. But carbs really aren't as bad as what everyone thinks. Yes, there are carbs in veggies but I think what your trainer means is don't eat a big meal of pasta, or lots of bread, potato with dinner.

I personally try to limit mine from about lunch time but if I'm really hungry and done a lot at the gym that day i might have a bit of brown rice or sweet potato with my meal. Normally for dinner I'll have lean meat with veggies or a salad.

If you're really worried about it i'd discus it with your trainer as that is why you are going to see them to get their help and advice. :)
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey all! My trainer today said I should not eat any carbs at dinner
    Load of crap.

Carb timing doesn't matter, like, at all.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just had a big bowl of carbs...

...and am considering seconds.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Did 182 carbs today .. so carbs are not the devil to me.

They are just another macro .. I never try to eat low carbs .. I just eat what I want to eat and try not to go over my macros,
  • azachy
    Options
    It does not make any difference. Eating carbs at night, morning or noon, the body only recognizes the macronutrients intake for the day.Carbs are essential for energy, and depending on your goals, going low carb is to deplete your glycogen storage as so to make your fat storage decrease.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Interesting... Thanks for sharing. I wonder if anyone can look at my food journal and tell me if I'm eating anything too much or wrong...
    You aren't eating enough food. Eat real food, throw out the crap rice cakes, eat some real food. Also, 2 oz of chicken is barely half a portion, that should be closer to 4 to 6 oz.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Okay, I limit my carbs maaaaaaaajorly. As in, I don't eat many carbs after breakfast. But I am also hyper-athletic and that is what works for me.
    Some ideas: zucchini pasta, spaghetti squash, any other kind of squash (I love squash), salads, grilled veggies, veggie soup, poultry, fish, red meat, mashed cauliflower (best thing ever), green smoothies (careful with the fruit you add in though, adds carbs), green juices..... honestly, the list goes on and on. Look at the Atkins website for some recipes!

I don't understand. A large part of that list is carbs.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I kinda think you need a second opinion. I am a very, very picky eater and I have tried Atkins several times, in the end it just did not work and I gained more than I lost. I now just eat what I like and count calories and have never been more successful. I am not trying to tell you what to do, but there are options and all diets don't work for all people and if you are picky and prefer carbs, it sounds like low carb is probably not going to be successful for you long term. Best of luck regardless.
  • jensiegel39
    Options
    Thanks, Bobbie. I really could never do Atkins or anything like that. I just don't like enough meats and veggies for that to ever work. I think I will just eat better carbs and try to watch them and eat enough calories and see where it takes me. It seems the responses here have been pretty much pro-carb from people who have lost a ton of weight. So, that's encouraging. I will tell the trainer when I see him next and ask him for other tips to work with me and what I like.

I've actually seen a therapist about my intolerance / pickiness. My sister is a vegan and likes more of a variety of foods than I do. It's such a daily struggle for me; always has been. But I think I'm doing okay with what I'm eating, although someone pointed out my rice cakes (which I love) are crap. Maybe I'll get rid of them soon...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think your trainer is an idiot.

FWIW, it's past 10 PM and I'm about to have some Pop-Tarts and ice cream.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Bobbie. I really could never do Atkins or anything like that. I just don't like enough meats and veggies for that to ever work. I think I will just eat better carbs and try to watch them and eat enough calories and see where it takes me. It seems the responses here have been pretty much pro-carb from people who have lost a ton of weight. So, that's encouraging. I will tell the trainer when I see him next and ask him for other tips to work with me and what I like.

I've actually seen a therapist about my intolerance / pickiness. My sister is a vegan and likes more of a variety of foods than I do. It's such a daily struggle for me; always has been. But I think I'm doing okay with what I'm eating, although someone pointed out my rice cakes (which I love) are crap. Maybe I'll get rid of them soon...

If you love them, keep them. I think a lot of people hate them but eat them anyway because they're "diet food." If you're picky and you genuinely enjoy them there's nothing wrong with that.

About the 2 oz of chicken-- are you using a food scale?
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've switched to eating just meat and veggies at dinner. I'm most successful when I don't have carbs after lunch.

As for everyone saying to see a dietician.... the most weight I've ever gained in my life was when I saw one. I did exactly what they said and gained 60 pounds during my pregnancy. The next 2 pregnancies I did without a dietician. I gained 10 pounds. My advice is to stay as far away from them as possible. But I'm sure there are some good ones out there. Just maybe not in California.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary, I would encourage you to get in more protein. I would swap the cereal and banana at breakfast, have some eggs, Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, some thing that will make you feel satiated longer. Then, bam...roll over those carbs for your dinner:). Swap out your low fat yoghurt for Greek yoghurt and your protein will increase even more. Personally, I don't follow that no carbs after a certain time malarkey, feel free to add me as a friend if you would like:)
  • jensiegel39
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I just tried Greek yogurt yesterday. I forget the brand. But I really hated it. It was so thick. I threw it away. I love my Yoplait. But perhaps I will do eggs for breakfast instead of dinner. I hate cottage cheese - it freaks me out for some reason! See - picky eater. But thanks. And I will friend you!
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with your question, but are you weighing your food? 2 oz of chicken breast is, roughly, 1 small chicken strip. If you put enough chicken into each of the hot dog buns so you could taste it, it was probably more than 2 oz.
  • jensiegel39
    Options
    I think I miscalculated. And no, I didn't weight it. I had a half breast, cut into two "sandwiches". I try to eat more protein, but I just don't like meat that much. Perhaps it was 4 oz. I have to get a scale. I've been measuring things with measuring cups, but for meat, I've just been eating one or half a chicken breast a day. I got a steak and had it for three meals. But I guess I should weigh this stuff...
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have been able to stick with my weight loss plan if I couldn't eat what I enjoyed and that includes bread, pasta, and potatoes. Generally about 250 grams of carbs a day. If you have a medical reason you need to reduce your carb intake that's one thing, but otherwise it's really a personal choice. Some people do need to reduce their carb intake, others do not.

I hope you find what works for you.