No Carb No Sugar diet

Options
13»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hey, at least spam has no carbs and no sugar - result!

Nope....

Ingredients
    Pork (89%), Salt, Potato Starch, Water, Ham (2%), Sugar, Stabiliser (Trisodium Diphosphate), Flavourings, Antioxidant (Sodium Ascorbate), Preservative (Sodium Nitrite).
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    What problems do you have that require a NO carb No sugar diet?
    This.

And, are you looking for seriously no sugar? It would be really hard for me to find food in my house w/o sugar, unless we're talking fresh meat.
    but i like my spam in a sarnie... or a spam fritter... MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!
    I like my spam in a filter. :bigsmile:
    spam
    Let's replace one health problem with a few more.

Whatever approach you consider, I hope that you discuss it with your doctor, who I'm assuming suggested this new diet. This is actually the person that you should be discussing this with. Normally, when doctors suggest changes like this, they also leave you with a few recommendations to get you headed in the right direction.
    Ingredients
    Pork (89%), Salt, Potato Starch, Water, Ham (2%),
    I found this a bit odd/redundant, so I Googled it. Didn't know that there were so many laws about food labeling.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    That's actually a hot debate right now. I know it's popped up several times in the past but they're arguing whether or not the body needs any dietary carbohydrate at all because of it's ability to create sugar from fat. Interesting idea :)

Paleo is, by far, the best nutritional plan I have ever used on my clients. It gets the most consistent results. Give it a whirl :)

The body does not create sugar from fats... it can create glucose from protein. It is a stress response due to the fact that the brain desires glucose (it's preferred fuel) to function. Sure one could argue that you really don't need to eat carbs to get glucose for the brain since the body can make it on it's own... but then one could also argue the vital importance of eating carbs for glucose for the brain since the body will go as far as to put itself in a stressed state to make glucose on its own at all costs...

correct, unless the poster is a platypus. The creation of new sugar paths use amino acids and we do not seem to have the gene turned "on" for the glyoxylate cycle needed for the fatty acid conversion to sugar.
  • fastfoodv
    Options
    About 50% of our calories should come from carbohydrate. And since foods made from grains like flour and cereals made from corn, rice, wheat and barley, bread, rice, pasta, cereal, tortillas, crackers, corn, peas, beans, legumes, potato, winter squash, fruit and milk and yogurt all contain carbohydrate (as do non-starchy veggies as well), it’s difficult to go on a no carb diet. And we shouldn’t. It’s not healthy. Aim for balance and proper portion sizes. Include all food groups in your meals/day. Make the healthier more nutritious choices most of the time.

Get an exclusive look at Lisa's new book STOP THE DIET, I WANT TO GET OFF! at www.stopthediet.com and visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen at www.consultthedietitian.com on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen