Am I doing Too Much Training?

Options
13»

Replies

• ra86
    ra86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you'll look at the formula he listed there, I think you'll see that he's using the word "net" improperly and actually means "surplus."

He took in 1933 calories, fitbit says his TDEE is 1648 (which I don't believe, btw).

Are you assuming that this 1648 should account for everything he's done from (for example) midnight to midnight? So eating 1648kcal would be exactly maintenance for that 24 hour period?

My understanding is that he's saying that he calculated his exercise as being 1648, not including the rest of his calorie expenditure. I think that fits in more with what he's saying, as he's making the point that he feels full, despite knowing that he's not eating enough calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are having issues with your gadget. There is no way you are burning 1600 cals from weightlifting and you would have to be running at a pretty good pace or for a long time to burn that much running.

What are you doing for cardio and lifting and how long?

ETA: Just for reference I burn about 630 calories for an hour of vigorous calisthenics and around 210 caloies for and hour of weightlifting.
    As an example. Yesterday I was up at 5am. Did 1hour les mills Body Attack which is a very high intensity cardio class. For the rest of the day I am constantly on my feet walking almost continuously while at work for 8 hours.
    Yesterday as an example I covered 22,000 steps and 17.55km, 80 min active minutes, 3786 cal. This is from my fitbit.

If your TDEE is 3786 on one day you should be eating between 3029 and 3218 to lose weight at a healthy rate (80-85% of TDEE)

Too large of a deficit and you risk having a large % of your weight loss coming from lean muscle, not fat. If you are that active day to day, I would try and cut cardio down or out completely if you can't eat more.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your deficit is on the high side even adjusting for the potential Fitbit duplication. Given your stated goals of wanting to preserve or maybe even build a little muscle this is not optimal. At a body fat % of roughly 24 you are not obese (and as such have more to worry about in this regard.)

You are also making this waaaaaaaay too complicated. I think things like Fitbit are great for ensuring you keep general activity high but the whole calorie burn aspect of it is...meh.

I would suggest trying to average out your cals to about 2,300 - 2,500 a day (which accounts for your high level of activity so no need to worry about "eating back" exercise calories.) Some days you may eat more than that depending on how you feel, some days less but if it averages out to around that range over the week you will be fine.

Try this for 4 weeks keeping your training the same and see how you go (you have experience a short term spike in weight but that will go within this timeframe.)

If you are losing too fast then eat more, too slow then eat less.

Rinse.

Rpeat.

Good tip. My issue is I am struggling to eat anywhere near 2000 cal a day. Today for instance I'm at 1520cal for the day and i'm finished eating for the day as its evening time. I'm just not hungry for more food. I need to find more higher cal per gram foods. =)

Are you losing? Is what you are doing working?