Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

girls lifting heavy..?

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    And that author isnt as douchey as Medhi is (if ypu get his emails or follow him on FB, hes such a d!ck)

I dont think he is douchey... he just tells it how it is and does not sugar coat anything is all. *Shrugs* :)

His emails aren't that bad.
    But he's a major d!ckwad on his FB page.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    but if being fabulous was easy- everyone would do it.

I am SO stealing this quote.

You may only do so on one condition....

that you go forth... and be fabulous :D
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    I just want to add that I see a lot of people posting routines for review, but never include what their progression is. Its kinda how I define 'heavy lifting'. Are you progressing in your lifting ? Are you adding weight ? If so how often, and how much ? These questions are just as important than posting what exercises your routine consists of.
    Lifting heavy doesn't necessarily mean heavy weights right away but instead the progression of your lifting routine.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member

I'm more fabulous than a pink unicorn carrying a rainbow and doing prancercise!
  • JoRocka

awesome. that's a big FCK YES. :D
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member

You just do it. You write it down and you do it. That's it. You just DO IT.

shrug- it sucks- but if being fabulous was easy- everyone would do it.

^^This. Love your attitude!

I'm on my third week of Stronglifts 5x5. I. LOVE. IT. No, it's not easy...it kicks my *kitten*. But I love how I feel. The author of the program and ebook explains the simplicity and the grouping of compound lifts in the PDF. It's free, so check it out if you're interested.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member

That's a whole lot of fabulous! :D
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member

I can't imagine doing it for long though. I mean, this must be beginners level. Squat AND Deadlift? I just can't fathom. If you work to exhaustion on your squat, how can you even fathom deadlifting?

I dunno. Good for you. I can't fathom it.

I don't understand. If you work to failure- you drop the weight- and then you drink some water- walk around- listen to your music- and move on to the next thing.

Right now I'm not doing a "leg day"

I do dead lift day- and then I have 2 separate squat days. But I split my supplimental work in on those days.

So sometimes I'll do Dead lifts- then I do a super set of walking pause balance lunges and box jumps (and I'm not talking 2-3 risers- I use 11 under my stepper)

I do squats and deads on both my lower body days...I look forward to them...they're heavy, yeah, but OMG, the amazing that I feel when I get those two lifts successfully out of the way! I'm all BAMF'd up for the rest of the workout. :smile: (Ok, and then the hubs can't tell me anything, LOL...)

And I love your fabulosity quote, btw. It rocks! :flowerforyou:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    After doing several months of SL, i switched to 5/3/1 and I'm currently on my 4th round. My PRs are as follows.

Bench - 110lbs
    DL - 235lbs
    OHP - 75lbs (struggle with this the most)
    Squat - 185lbs
  • Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 2 - Shoulders/Triceps
    Day 3 - Quads/Hams
    Day 4 - Back/Biceps
    Day 5 - Abs/Calves/Cardio
    Day 6 - Full Body Kettlebell
  • JoRocka

^^This. Love your attitude!

I'm on my third week of Stronglifts 5x5. I. LOVE. IT. No, it's not easy...it kicks my *kitten*. But I love how I feel. The author of the program and ebook explains the simplicity and the grouping of compound lifts in the PDF. It's free, so check it out if you're interested.

YUUUuuuuuppppppppp

I had an exceptionally for chit dead lift day one day- so I made up a new game.
    Super set Dead lift/100 yard sprint
    60-70% of your one rep max on the bar.

Rep it out.

As many as you just pulled- go run that many 100 yard sprints.

I did 5 sets- took me 35 minutes.

I kept muttering to myself the ENTIRE TIME. WORST GAME EVERY. WHO INVENTED THIS STUPID GAME... I don't want to play mommy I want to go home- I want to take my ball and GO HOME.

The entire 35 minutes- either yelling at myself for sucking up the sprints- or sucking wind standing over the bar- knowing I couldn't cheat my reps just to get out of the sprints.

It SUCKS.

Seriously. But it's awesome- and there is NO other way to reach that kind of awesome other than by putting the work. You just HAVE to do it. And if you don't?

sorry for your loss. it's NOT for everybody- but those people- the people who don't function like that- are not people I find myself spending a lot of time with really. It doesn't matter where you are working- but you just have to be willing to WORK. I mean WERK.

Doesn't matter the weight- doesn't matter at all- just you put it out there to crush it. No one will do it for you and that weights sure as hlel not going to lift itself!

:D

then go home and eat all the bacon- all the steak- all the eggs and on friday night- drink all of the one beer- because you are too much of a light weigh to drink any more. LMAO
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    I ran Stronglifts for 7 months.....and I made it through just fine. I did some Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass after that and I am now in my 8th week of a Strong Curves program which is full body, 4x/week. I also run, although this week I have eliminated a couple of runs because I eat at a deficit and just don't have the energy to do it all since I am setting PR's pretty much every workout.

Also not sure how "heavy lifting" is different for women than it is for men. As JoRocka mentioned, that question has absolutely no relevance at all, and was slightly insulting.

Poster that mentioned progression does bring up a good point. There are lots of threads asking about routines when really, if you don't have an element of progressive overload, it really doesn't matter what routine you are doing, you will start to spin your wheels.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    I'm in my 3rd week of StrongLifts. I'm 57 years old and had never lifted more than an 10lb dumbell, much less even touched an Olympic bar.

Workout A, current #'s:
    Squats 65 lbs ( started with OB & worked on form, before upping my weight)
    Bench 55 lbs (started with 30 lb barbell)
    Pendlay Rows 50 lbs (started with 30 lb barbell)

Workout B, current #'s:
    Squats
    OHP 35 llbs
    Deadlift 85 lbs

All lifts are 5x5, except deadlifts, which are 1x5, and they are done in the order listed (as per the program). I know I can lift heavier on squats and DLs, but the program calls for progressive loads, adding 5lbs per workout (10lbs on DLs). My goal is to become stronger, focus on form and the heavier weights will come. Right now, I'm loving lifting and seeing the changes taking place in my body.

I read NROL4W, but like several others, decided the program was too complicated for me. I may give it a shot, after I finish SL, depending on how things go.

As for Mehdi, I don't think he's a *kitten*, just a male chauvinist. I just let that type of crap roll off my back. :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I just want to add that I see a lot of people posting routines for review, but never include what their progression is. Its kinda how I define 'heavy lifting'. Are you progressing in your lifting ? Are you adding weight ? If so how often, and how much ? These questions are just as important than posting what exercises your routine consists of.
    Lifting heavy doesn't necessarily mean heavy weights right away but instead the progression of your lifting routine.

That's the joy of SL, SS and NROLFW it's all in the information.

For SL you up 5lbs a workout (or fractionals if 5lbs is too much) and DL's up 10 each time.

So in SL my next two weeks will look like this

Week 1 5x5 or to failure if I fail the weight does not increase. If I fail 3 workouts in a row I deload down 5 or 10lb depends on the lift.

Monday
    Squat 140lb
    BP 105lb
    Rows 110lb

Wednesday

Squat 145
    OHP 75
    DL 190

Friday

Squat 150lb
    BP 110lb
    Rows 115lb

Week 2
    Monday

Squat 155lb
    OHP 80lb
    DL 195lb

Wednesday

Squat 160lb
    Bench 115lb
    Rows 120lb

Friday

Squat 165lb
    OHP 85lb
    DL 200lb
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    [I can't imagine doing it for long though. I mean, this must be beginners level. Squat AND Deadlift? I just can't fathom. If you work to exhaustion on your squat, how can you even fathom deadlifting?

I dunno. Good for you. I can't fathom it.

I wouldn't call myself a beginner....

I am not exhausted after my squats...for me 140lbs is not that bad...145lbs next time might be and I might fail so I try again next time...and if I fail x3 I deload and maybe next time I got up 2.5lbs not 5. This is about increasing strenght.

Then 1x5 on DL @ 190lbs I am tired after that but DL's are a huge lift...huge. Hence the reason they are last.

And I have to say just because you don't get it doesn't make those of us who do it weak or beginnners...perhaps you can't fathom it due to form issues? I find if your form is good you get them out or fail either way it's not exhausting.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Everyone praises strong lifts, and I am not qualified to criticize, but are you kidding me with squat, Deadlift, and OHP all on the same day? If you can do that, you are not lifting heavy those are big movements that require full body motion. I can only do one of those exercises on a given day. Three of them in one, I would seriously be in the hospital after that workout.

Starting Strength follows a similar protocol as SL 5x5... Squat and DL on the same workout. There are endless amounts of YouTube videos that clients of both programs are lifting large amounts of weights. People squatting 400lbs+, DL 500lbs+... Seems to be something that they are doing right, wouldn't you say?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

Good point. Strong Lifts has progression built in. If you can do the 5x5 (with good form), then the next day you add 5lbs. If you can't do all the sets and reps, stay where you are. If you have to stay there 3 times, then deload 10% and try to progress again.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I think for the OP the main things are lose the split, stop doing cardio x6 a week (TOTALLY unnecessary) and get on a good program that has mostly compound lifting.
    And that author isnt as douchey as Medhi is (if ypu get his emails or follow him on FB, hes such a d!ck)

"douchey" - LOL

I personally think he's very unimpressive. All he did was take Rippetoe's program and change it up a bit. But I guess if it gets people lifting it's a good thing. <shrugs>
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    I personally think he's very unimpressive. All he did was take Rippetoe's program and change it up a bit. But I guess if it gets people lifting it's a good thing. <shrugs>

I think even Rippetoe got his version off someone... not sure who but 5x5 (or similar versions) have been around for a very long time. I am a big fan of Rippetoe and read his SS 3rd edition... In his book he talks about going to college and not knowing a damn thing about weight lifting and worked out out at the local school gymnasium. There he paired up with someone whom did a progressive overload routine similar to 5x5.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    I think for the OP the main things are lose the split, stop doing cardio x6 a week (TOTALLY unnecessary) and get on a good program that has mostly compound lifting.

"douchey" - LOL

Both programs are effective. Personally at over 40 years old I have zero desire to work 'cleans' into my workout so I went with SL. Also Rippetoe and Mehdi formed both programs from Reg Park who is considered the originator of compound workout routines.