Eating lunch at 8:30 AM

Options
One issue I've been dealing with over several months of maintenance.... the ravenous morning hunger I get 2 hours after breakfast. I eat a good breakfast every morning at 6:30 AM, cereal or oatmeal almost always. Then suddenly, once I'm in the office 2 hours later, I end up eating my lunch I brought in that day ... and that sustains me until dinner. The problem is if I DON'T eat lunch at that point (early), I get so hungry at noon, I end up doing something dumb like overeating at Taco Bell.

Is this wrong? Probably, but it seems to work for me.

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you eat your meals, as long as you're timing them to manage your hunger.

You might want to experiment with adding some protein and fats to your 6:30 breakfast, to see if that keeps you satisfied a little longer. There's nothing wrong with eating cereal or oatmeal, but you can burn through a carb-only meal a lot faster than a meal that also has protein and fat.
  • hannahlclrk
    hannahlclrk Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i guess your bodys hungry by then... it doesnt have set times so just go with it, or try to curb it with a snack?
  • cutieryan
    cutieryan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have found over the years attempting to lose weight that the key to feeling fuller longer is really all about protien. Cereal or oatmeal don't last long for me, either, but an egg and toast of PB and toast will hold me over for hours and hours.
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This seems like a relatively easy fix. If you already know you'll be hungry at 8:30, pack an extra snack! I have a coworker who actually leaves a box of instant oatmeal in his desk because he knows that around 9ish he'll be starving and won't make it to lunch.

Hope this helps!
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Try a high protein breakfast, that works to keep me full. Eggs, or (greek) yogurt with fruit...

Oh yeah, and pack a snack for in between breakfast and lunch, seems fine to have a second breakfast if you get up that early.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing - cereal or oatmeal for breakfast. Left me hungry soon after.

When I started eating no less than 40 grams of protein a morning (eggs, cheese, bacon and Greek yogurt), I can literally sometimes go all the way to dinner without feeling hungry at all.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    One issue I've been dealing with over several months of maintenance.... the ravenous morning hunger I get 2 hours after breakfast. I eat a good breakfast every morning at 6:30 AM, cereal or oatmeal almost always. Then suddenly, once I'm in the office 2 hours later, I end up eating my lunch I brought in that day ... and that sustains me until dinner. The problem is if I DON'T eat lunch at that point (early), I get so hungry at noon, I end up doing something dumb like overeating at Taco Bell.

I'm not at maintenance, but I have the same issue. So I have changed my breakfast routine. I make a protein smoothie with frozen fruit, protein powder and almond milk (they usually run about 275 calories on average), and then 2 hours later at the office I have a light breakfast of about 200-300 calories. Then a lighter lunch, and dinner in the evening. I found splitting up my breakfast calories really helps me stay on track and curb the insane hunger I get after a run day. Hope that helps, but do what works for you...your body is telling you what you need to know. :smile:
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Why not snack on a yogurt or fruit or something light to help fill time til lunch?
  • dcnpaul
    dcnpaul Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One thing that I have discovered is that when I stay away from sugars and carbohydrates in the morning, I last much longer in not being hungry throughout the day. Then in the middle of the day I have, to the best of my ability, a balanced meal for lunch.
    Good luck in maintaining all your results!
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN and healthy fats! They will keep you full longer. Bacon and eggs, avocado, chicken, ground turkey for breakfast.

If you're hungry - EAT! Just make sure they are healthy choices and REAL foods!
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you are hungry - you eat. I think maybe each day gradually waiting 10 minutes or so longer before you eat your lunch and maybe eventually you can get your body into a routine
  • bobbi6440
    bobbi6440 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I switched to steel cut oats and then a couple hour later eat a protien. It makes it easier to wait for lunch. Then I eat another small snack a few hours later and then my dinner. I keep fruits, veggies and nuts close to me at all times. My profile picture is what i used to look like. My total weight loss is at 90 lbs. My doctor also told me to use the 80/20 method which helps a lot. I pick one day a week where it is ok to have Taco Johns.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd say judging by your ticker you are just fine. I eat nonstop between about 7 and noon so I know all about eating your lunch early. Hasn't seemed to affect me at all either. Congratulations on your loss ;)
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Add some protein to that breakfast and you'll last a lot longer and take mid morning and mid afternoon snacks to work with you.
  • kennyh75
    kennyh75 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think my issue, despite my success over the past 2 years, continues to be my continued psychological insistence to "backload" my day.... I like to have at least 1700 kcals available prior to 6 PM (even before workout), so I can eat and drink well in the evening. I still struggle with this to this day.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think my issue, despite my success over the past 2 years, continues to be my continued psychological insistence to "backload" my day.... I like to have at least 1700 kcals available prior to 6 PM (even before workout), so I can eat and drink well in the evening. I still struggle with this to this day.

This may be another area where, if it's working for you, you should feel free to roll with it. As long as you're reaching your goals safely, then it doesn't matter if you eat lunch at 0830 or bank a set number of calories for the evening.

I used to do something similar- plan to have 2/3 of my daily calories at work so that, when I went home and was able to eat dinner with friends and family, I had breathing room. Then, if dinner didn't take me up to my goal level, I could top it off with snacks.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I'm going to guess your breakfast is high in carbs and low in protein.

When I eat waffles or oatmeal for breakfast, I am STARVING two hours later. It's caused by the fact that they are easy to digest and cause an insulin spike. That pulls all the sugar out of your bloodstream. This tells your brain you are hungry. It should happen two hours after you eat.

Eating less processed carbs will help. Whole grain oatmeal ('Scottish oatmeal') will be better. So will less processed cereal. I eat muesli or granola with yogurt or eggs plus a piece of fruit and have no problems.

Alternatively, you could try adding more protein, which is slower to digest so after you get the first rush, your body will start to process the proteins.

P.S. re backloading. I also backload a bit, but my breakfast is only 200 calories at most and I still have 600 at dinner.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Wow I think that is the biggest consensus I've ever seen on this site!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is unimportant, however if this is psychologically effecting you, plan for it and eat that breakfast, have a snack, and eat a smaller lunch.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Found by trial & error that foods like oatmeal, cereal, and toast only make me hungrier ......

I eat protein & veggies for breakfast ..... I make a dozen hardboiled eggs each week (hubby eats a few) and a boatload of roasted or sauteed veggies ......... an egg or 2 with veggies makes a filling breakfast ...... or dinner leftovers (steak, porkchop) instead of the egg ...... try it :drinker: