Need to gain 7lbs in 1 month

Options

Replies

• rosemary98
    Options
    peanut butter. one cup of peanut butter is 1440. spread it out throughout the day in between meals. one tablespoon=90 calories
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    peanut butter. one cup of peanut butter is 1440. spread it out throughout the day in between meals. one tablespoon=90 calories

I've been doing PB with meals and right after dinner. I mentioned on the first page that I cannot do snacks at all, I tried doing it before and it gave me horrible stomach pains. I think it's something to do with giving my stomach some breather room in between meals to just focus on digesting what's already in there. PB is very calorie dense, thanks for the suggestion, I'll just have more of it on days when I cannot stomach as much as usual from other foods.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    good luck! and PB is so yummy!
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    good luck! and PB is so yummy!

Thanks, it definitely is!
  • googlebear123
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtxyS8synKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb3iaQpeDBE

extreme example, but you get the idea. with the foods you can eat i dont see how your goals arent acheivable. good luck.

breakfast - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRgV9TaAGx0 - lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    feaking pizza ever day!!
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition "Serious Mass" and lift lots of Heavy *kitten* Shiznit. 1/2 serving pre workout, 1/2 serving post workout. Eat clean real food every 3 hours. I gained 30 pounds in 3 months. If you aren't lifting heavy and doing cardio on rest days, your gains will be FAT.

1,250 CALORIES
    50 g of BLENDED PROTEIN
    Over 250 g of Carbohydrates with NO ADDED SUGAR
    Creatine, Glutamine, and Glutamic Acid
    25 Vitamins and Essential Minerals

$45 for a 12 pound sack form bodybuilding.com. Chocolate is Awesome!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Go on creatine and put on some water weight.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    @googlebear: Nice videos. Yea it's not a problem of food limitations, just a matter of forcing myself to eat. Ice cream was a big help tonight hah.

@ndj: I don't like pizza, I know, it's heresy. I'm a huge fan of Reese's though and I stocked up on them.

@bheathfit: I have 3 tubs of Cellucor whey protein that I'm working through and I have a carb and protein powder from AtLargeNutrition, so I'm all covered there. Part of the issue is that I can't really workout hard due to not being able to squat, bench, or press. I can deadlift but I'm lifting light weight and building up due to patella femoral issues in my left knee. I've just been doing a bunch of weighted chin/pull-ups, all kinds of rows, push-ups, and rehab work.

@j6o4: I thought about that but I don't feel like lying to my doc and Dad, plus I need to put on real weight because that will allow my body to recover better and get back to being healthy again. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • stinkypoopy
    stinkypoopy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    You've listed stuff you can eat but that's the easy part, just eat lots of that.

What you still haven't done is list a set of things that you can't eat. At the moment you are getting people putting effort into some great replies but a lot (if not most) are getting rejected because you cannot eat them. You are doing it politely for sure but it might help you.

Despite that here's my suggestion. You said you cannot drink coconut milk, but I'm presuming that's directly.

If you make a curry with plenty of coconut cream/milk with gravy meat, potatoes and a good side of rice it can be very high in Calories. You can also modify sushi or sushi rice and add more sugar to the sushi rice than usual.

Also nuts and candy. Don't have a 'meal' of them but instead have a constant supply with you that you are grazing on.

Cooked potato (chips) make with plenty of oil covered in tomato sauce.

Let's face it the amount of weight gain you are aiming for, it's not going to be good quality. So you really have to decide who much you are willing to sacrifice for this ski trip.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    Hi there,
    You've listed stuff you can eat but that's the easy part, just eat lots of that.

What you still haven't done is list a set of things that you can't eat. At the moment you are getting people putting effort into some great replies but a lot (if not most) are getting rejected because you cannot eat them. You are doing it politely for sure but it might help you.

Despite that here's my suggestion. You said you cannot drink coconut milk, but I'm presuming that's directly.

If you make a curry with plenty of coconut cream/milk with gravy meat, potatoes and a good side of rice it can be very high in Calories. You can also modify sushi or sushi rice and add more sugar to the sushi rice than usual.

Also nuts and candy. Don't have a 'meal' of them but instead have a constant supply with you that you are grazing on.

Cooked potato (chips) make with plenty of oil covered in tomato sauce.

Let's face it the amount of weight gain you are aiming for, it's not going to be good quality. So you really have to decide who much you are willing to sacrifice for this ski trip.

Good point. Things I cannot eat/drink: milk, coconut milk, nuts, mass gainers, ensure/boost/glucerna, not too many grains (a few times a week is fine, and certain kinds more than others), olive oil, shakes...there may be more. I also cannot graze all day, I can do three meals and a snack immediately following dinner, for some reason my stomach cannot handle frequent meals. I've tried coconut milk added to rice and it didn't sit well with me so I don't think curries would work either, although sushi rice is a good option.

The tomato covered potatoes sounds delicious, I'll try that out. I know the weight gained will not be good, which is why I made the post. It's for more than the ski trip, I have to get off this stomach medication because it's not good to stay on it longer than 12-18 months. Any medication that messes with your stomach or brain is not good long term, so reaching my normal walking weight will let me see if I can continue to eat normally and not have problems.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Regarding the "goal" caloric intake per MFP... Unless you have been watching for a while, it might be trial an error. If you can, push to eat even more. When I followed the guidelines for 0.5 lb/week loss, I ended up losing closer to 1.5 lb/week. So, although I track my exercise and work a desk job (sedentary), I am actually more active than I think, or I way over estimate how much I eat.

When I met my goal, I did a hydro weight test and found I was underweight (3.5% BF), and need to gain. So, I was at a 750 cal/day deficit (1.5 lb/week losses) that I needed to eat back, and I wanted to gain 1 lb/week, so another 500 cal/day. Almost twice as much food in a day is hard to get used to. So, keep at it, watch the scale trends, and adjust if you are not gaining as quickly as you need to (week to week). Disregard big fluctuations.

My search through the thread did not see alcohol mentioned, and I'm not one for encouraging young folks to drink (I did not drink until I was 33), but if your stomach can handle some alcohol, that's some easy liquid calories you can add in at the end of the day.

Good luck!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Yam fries with everything. 800 calories for a typical restaurant serving. :sad:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Gaining 7 lbs in a month is total doable. Eat full-fat everything, nuts, yogurt, cheese. Cook with butter or olive oil. Eat red meat. Eat potatoes. You can do it.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    @2spamagnet: MFP says 2,510 to gain 1lb/week but going off of my trend line my maintenance is anywhere from 1,800-2,000. It's hard to pinpoint due to constipation issues caused by my disease which makes trackin real weight difficult. For reference, I went from 139lbs to 135.4lbs in two days due to bowel movements both days and today I'm at 137.2. Tomorrow will most likely be 139lbs again so I still may need to eat more. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of making adjustments since the deadline is in a little over three weeks so I might just try to eat more now. I forgot to mention it but I cannot do alcohol. Disregarding the fact that I don't like it at all and it makes me super bloated, the medication I'm taking says to not drink much, if at all. Thanks for the suggestion though.

@metaphoria: yam/sweet potato fries are good, I haven't had them in awhile. I've been on a white potato kick so I'll have to switch it up with sweet potatoes for some days.

@jennifer: I can't do nuts but I've been including yogurt and cheese and a lot of potatoes. I have red meat most weeks, also have a fair amount of salmon and pork. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    granola? can you add that to your yogurt?

And if you like sweet potatos- someone just told me today... mix them half and half- sweet and white potatoes for mashed. It's worth a try.

add a whole big stick of butter to that if you can too. Sour cream- or yogurt on top- whatever toppings you like you can deal with- throw it in there. :D
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    granola? can you add that to your yogurt?

And if you like sweet potatos- someone just told me today... mix them half and half- sweet and white potatoes for mashed. It's worth a try.

add a whole big stick of butter to that if you can too. Sour cream- or yogurt on top- whatever toppings you like you can deal with- throw it in there. :D

Can't do granola, can only do oats if they are cooked (aka oatmeal). The sweet potato idea is new, I've never heard of doing that before. And yes, butter and cinnamon always top my sweet potatoes, makes them delicious! Haven't tried sour cream or yogurt, sounds like it would be good as well, thanks!
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    One of the restaurants I visit weekly now has sweet potato fries! Had them last week for the first time - they are freakin' awesome!
  • euonymust
    Options
    I wish I was in a situation where I had to gain weight instead of lose it.

Weight Gain = Calorie Intake > Calorie Output

On the 8th day God said, let there be cocoa trees where humans can mix the cocoa with the milk from the cows to make chocolate, where humans can enjoy and live happily with. In conclusion eat chocolate, lots, and lots of it….its heaven.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I love Indian buffets, and they'd help easily in the quest to gain weight. I eat 2500-3400 cals/day to lose weight and keep my muscle. One nice Indian buffet lunch, go back for seconds or thirds and you can get to 2k cals easy, lots of carbs with rice and lentil dishes, naan bread and dessert mango or bread puddings, and proteins with butter chicken, tandoori chicken, lamb and goat curries. Some dishes are pretty spicy, but sometimes that soothes rather than aggravates some stomach issues, but you have to be cautious if you've never tried...now I'm really hungry...