Quinoa: Yes or No?

Options
JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
So what's the consensus on Quinoa?

I feel like it's a different version of cous cous- and I just can't be bothered to go buy something totally different.

Does MFP world feel it's significantly better or worse than rice? or cous cous?

I am *fairly* low carb so I don't eat much of any of those things- but I wanted to get a feel for it before I went out and bought some and experimented on my excessively picky boyfriend.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Eh, we've tried it. It's not that great. I usually just stick with rice.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a grain and cous cous is a pasta so there is a big difference there. I don't mind it mixed in something but it's not great on it's own.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    I believe couscous is a form of pasta. So Quinoa and Couscous are different in that respect. I like Quinoa as an alternative to rice. I don't necessarily think one is better than the other, but it does have a different texture, which is part of the reason I like it.
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    We really like quinoa. I make it spiced with raisins. I haven't found a recipe for couscous that is something I'd repeat.
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa and my husband hates it. When we have stir-fry, mine is on a bed of quinoa and his is on a bed of rice. I do season mine with curry powder and rosemary.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have gluten issues, so I use a lot of Quinoa. If you get on pinterest you can find a lot of different recipes that make it tasty.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a grain and cous cous is a pasta so there is a big difference there. I don't mind it mixed in something but it's not great on it's own.

this. the nutritional values in each are completely different. i love quinoa mixed with a ton of different veggies. i love pasta, too (although I don't eat it much these days), but i just don't love cous cous.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like it. I've heard it's a complete protein source (contains all of the amino acids that we can't produce ourselves) so that's a selling point if you don't eat meat. It's kind of bland by itself, but cook it in chicken or beef stock and it's pretty tasty. I'll do quinoa instead of rice sometimes. It has more protein, more fiber and fewer carbs than rice.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a grain

I believe it is a seed and not a grain but I could be mistaken.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has a fair amount of fiber and protein, especially when compared to couscous, rice, and pasta. It is really good if you make it with the right stuff. It's mega bland if you cook it in water, so I use chicken broth (Progresso makes one without added sodium), then add some artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and minced garlic sautéed in a bit of olive oil. Delicious!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    So what's the consensus on Quinoa?

I feel like it's a different version of cous cous- and I just can't be bothered to go buy something totally different.

Does MFP world feel it's significantly better or worse than rice? or cous cous?

I am *fairly* low carb so I don't eat much of any of those things- but I wanted to get a feel for it before I went out and bought some and experimented on my excessively picky boyfriend.

I dig quinoa... I use it as a rice replacement if I feel the need to change it up. There are nutritional differences (more protein in quinoa) but I just use what ever fits my macros.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a seed (not a pasta or a grain!), and high in protein for a non-animal food.
    I use it like rice or couscous. I quite like it.
  • jasonvanbrackel
    Options
    I'm a carnivore, but quinoa is one of the few grains I really enjoy. It's actually closer to spinach nutritionally than a true grain. I eat it like I would rice often with a little soy sauce or Bragg liquid aminos.

http://bragg.com/products/bragg-liquid-aminos-soy-alternative.html
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love quinoa! I add it to things like salads, casseroles, soups & stews. I always cook extra to have on hand & throw in for some protein. I've recently been cooking it plain so I can also add it to oatmeal in the morning.
  • arbata9
    arbata9 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is the best grain you could get, it has more nutrients than pearl barley, buckwheat, porridge or cous cous (which almost has nothing in it). I would highly recommend reading about it more, its a great source of protein and iron, which is necessary for blood when exercising. Just 100g of quinoa gives you 50% of recommended iron intake! Its low in calories, high in amino acids and minerals when compared to other grains, it lowers cholesterol levels, has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds.
    Eat quinoa! :)

This is a good link about quinoa health benefits :

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=142&tname=foodspice
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For starters, quinoa is technically a seed, not a grain so many people have an easier time digesting it. Nutritionally, it has a lot more in it than cous cous - it's a complete protein (which is rare in plant foods). It's also very high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, folate, iron and zinc! All stuff we need more of. Cous cous looks like junk food in comparison. :)

You can definitely use it like cous cous. It's also great as a topping on salads (instead of croutons) or to make veggie burgers/patties out of when mixed with beans or sweet potato. It's great as a thickener/filler in chilis and soups. It's super versatile and freezes well so if you make a big batch and don't think you'll use it just divide it up into manageable portions and freeze.

Make sure you give it a good rinse before cooking - the seeds have a natural coating on them called "Saponin" and it tastes very bitter if you don't rinse it off. Rinse until the water no longer looks soapy.
  • jessica9705
    jessica9705 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa!! I make a batch at the beginning of the week and then scoop some into salads, soups or cooked veggies. Still like rice and pasta, but I feel quinoa is a more nutritional option.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I only brought in cous cous because- well to me (from what I've seen) They look about the same in texture and consistency.
    I'm a carnivore, but quinoa is one of the few grains I really enjoy
    Hmmm- I'm very much a carnivore. I love steak and chicken.

And I REALLY actually do like rice- I just only eat about once every 2-3 months with my sushi. so if there is a product I could throw in there with my stir fry with more nutritional value- I'd be game.

It's mega bland if you cook it in water, so I use chicken broth (Progresso makes one without added sodium), then add some artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and minced garlic sautéed in a bit of olive oil. Delicious!

mmhmmmmmmm that sounds tasty LOL.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    One poster has it right. Its a complete protein. It has all 9 esstial amino acids. In terms of calories, its pretty high but the health benefits are there. I believe its low on the Glycemic Index so better than rice since it won't give you a blood sugar spike. Couscous is a form of wheat pasta, and its processed to get there so again, Quinoa is better. There are several varieties, white is the most common and bland, but the red is nutty and a little firmer in texture. I soak it, rinse and then cook in equal parts water for 15 min. Its never soggy that way.

On the other hand, Quinoa are little seeds of a plant in the rhubarb family. It takes a lot to gather enough of them to sell. Its native to high in the mountains in South America and by exporting it into the developed world to cater to the latest health craze we are actually hurting an indiginous culture who depend on it for their staple food source. Ah, the ethics of food sourcing... :wink:
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa. I make it all the time. I always cook it with vegetable broth instead of water because, like rice, it is bland on it's own. I prefer quinoa to rice and it is definitely a lot different in taste and texture to cous cous. Just last night I made quinoa spiced with cumin and cinnamon and added butternut squash and asparagus. You can basically add anything to it.