Quinoa: Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa and will eat it plain cooked in water...it tastes kind of earthy if that makes sense. My mom hated it though...she couldn't get past the fact it looked like fish eggs.
  • MaeRenee94
    Options
    Quinoa contains all essential amino acids. Essential meaning the ones we don't produce, there are 9.
    It's great mixed with rice.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Tigersworld, that's not 100% true. Just because corn and wheat are grown from seeds does not make all seeds grain. All grains are grown from seeds but all seeds are not grain. Grain as a food group come from the seeds of the grass family. Quinoa is not part of the grass family.

Correct! AND it is awesome!:drinker:
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options

On the other hand, Quinoa are little seeds of a plant in the rhubarb family. It takes a lot to gather enough of them to sell. Its native to high in the mountains in South America and by exporting it into the developed world to cater to the latest health craze we are actually hurting an indiginous culture who depend on it for their staple food source. Ah, the ethics of food sourcing... :wink:

^ My husband suggested we not eat it because of this. ^
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I love it just make sure you soak it for about 1/2 hour before cooking and then run under cold water in the strainer until the water runs out clear before cooking it. I also toast it up in a pan before adding the liquid to it to cook it This gives it more of a nutty flavor
  • tresmommy86
    tresmommy86 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat mine for breakfast like oatmeal. I make an apple, cinnamon, raisin version. Quinoa also has more benefits than cous cous because it is a complete protein. So it's good for vegetarians and vegans as another way to get protein. I still oatmeal and steel cut oats from time to time, but I love quinoa for breakfast.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    As many have said Quinoa is very versitile and tastes great - I make salads with it - ver y nutritious and filling. Also, you should check-out Quinoa Pasta - it has about the same calories as regular or whole-wheat pasta, and cooks up the same, but is much heartier and has a lot more nutrients per serving.
  • mkgirl425
    mkgirl425 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found a great way to eat quinoa, even for kiddos:

Toast 1 cup rinsed quinoa (Must rinse thoroughly or it will be bitter)

In a pan, add:

Toasted quinoa
    3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
    Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste
    2 TBSP pure maple syrup

Stir frequently to boiling stage, reduce heat, cover and simmer for half hour.

It has the consistency of rice pudding. You can add raisins or nuts if you prefer. If it's too thick, add more coconut milk. Very tasty and good for you.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Quinoa? Yes! I like it spicy, mixed with rice and lentils:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1133238-curry-quinoa-lentils-and-rice
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I cooked up a box of it to try. It is bland - but then so is rice. Since I'm not fussed with nutrition atm (I'm not vegan or vegetarian or have any special dietary concerns) and it's approximately the same calories as other grain and grain-like options, I just don't see the point in paying more for it in my case. I mean, it's alright to eat but I'm not in love with it. So it's a no from me, but not because there's anything particularly negative about it, lol.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I actually just made some quinoa last night that was a big hit with my husband. I sauteed some onion and green bell pepper in a little olive oil, then dumped a can of black beans (with juice), can of whole corn (mostly drained), 1 cup of white hominy, 1 cup of quinoa, 1 cup of spinach, the sauteed onion and pepper, plus enough vegetable broth to cover everything. Let it simmer til the quinoa is cooked through, add a handful of fresh cilantro right before serving. YUM. :)

We also like it in place of rice and couscous. It's very versatile.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I love it just make sure you soak it for about 1/2 hour before cooking and then run under cold water in the strainer until the water runs out clear before cooking it. I also toast it up in a pan before adding the liquid to it to cook it This gives it more of a nutty flavor

Good tip! I will have to try it out!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Tigersworld, that's not 100% true. Just because corn and wheat are grown from seeds does not make all seeds grain. All grains are grown from seeds but all seeds are not grain. Grain as a food group come from the seeds of the grass family. Quinoa is not part of the grass family.
    That's correct. It's a chenopod/goosefoot.

woah its grass...trippy no wonder
  • cournae
    cournae Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of quinoa on Sunday nights and pre-fill tupperware containers with it for my lunches/dinners (I work 2 jobs - one day and one night job). Then I add in different mix-ins to change it up throughout the week. Today I took one with feta cheese, olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, spinach, and lemon juice. I also like making one with tuna, celery, peas, olive oil mayo, and reduced fat cheddar cheese. It's really versatile and keeps you full for hours!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of quinoa on Sunday nights and pre-fill tupperware containers with it for my lunches/dinners (I work 2 jobs - one day and one night job). Then I add in different mix-ins to change it up throughout the week. Today I took one with feta cheese, olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, spinach, and lemon juice. I also like making one with tuna, celery, peas, olive oil mayo, and reduced fat cheddar cheese. It's really versatile and keeps you full for hours!

really? hmmm I wonder if it's the higher protein content... I find when I eat breads I am famished immediately. I had steel cut oats and I was super peeved- I was hungry within an hour. :(
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    used to like it until i saw the # of calories in a small serving
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    used to like it until i saw the # of calories in a small serving

LOL hence my aversion to rice/cous cous. I like being full. and eating those things to fit my calorie budget does not leave my full- just hangry.
  • cournae
    cournae Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's not just the quinoa itself, but the spinach, tuna, and other mix-ins help me feel full for a while.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, Quinoa are little seeds of a plant in the rhubarb family. It takes a lot to gather enough of them to sell. Its native to high in the mountains in South America and by exporting it into the developed world to cater to the latest health craze we are actually hurting an indiginous culture who depend on it for their staple food source. Ah, the ethics of food sourcing... :wink:

You can grow it yourself! One plant will produce about 6oz of seeds, and if you have a square-foot garden, you can grow 4 plants per square foot.

Here is a really comprehensive article about growing, harvesting, and storing quinoa.

http://www.saltspringseeds.com/scoop/powerfood.htm
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is one of the few plant foods that is a complete protein, so if you're vegetarian/vegan, it's a good way to get protein. It has very little flavor on its own, so you have to add other stuff like onions, garlic, nuts, olives, peppers, dried fruit, spices, etc. to make it taste good.