Anyone do Elf on a shelf??

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Elf on a shelf is creepy....He's always watching. Like a stalker.

Or god.

Or Santa himself...he knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake...he knows if you've been jackin' off, etc, etc, etc...

and yes, we do Elf on the Shelf...ours is named Ernie. The boys love it. There's a very small window of time when kids actually believe in this kind of stuff...I don't think it's going to do any more harm than simply believing in Santa for a few years would. I'd say decades of Sunday School screwed me up far more...but I got over all of that pretty easily too.

Adults have for **** imaginations...

tumblr_mkwfoohLq11qg39ewo1_250.gif

Now that's creepy....
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    We started Elf on the Shelf last year. My son is 13 so he helps me with ideas for it. Its mainly for my 7 year old daughter. Its just something fun to do. I am normally a Grinch at Christmas, but this is one thing that I enjoy. Our elf's name is Slim. Our elf rides on the stuffed geese in our living room, replaced the angel on our tree last year, played cards with some action figures, wrote on a small dry erase board, played Wii, took some of my daughters Monster High Dolls for a ride in the Barbie car, hes always doing something fun. I am Pinteresting more ideas for this year so I dont have to copy any from last year.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I am so sad to read that so many find it creepy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though. I on the other hand love Elf on the Shelf.

From a teaching aspect there is so much you can do with the elf to incorporate in your classroom. It can be used to make learning fun. That is if using holiday based items does not go against your school's policy. I used it with my preschoolers last year. It was actually adorable. Every day my students came into my classroom and searched for him. During free play they used to make "food" for the elf to eat in the kitchen and leave a plate for him. They would say hello to him and goodbye before they left for the day. I ended up incorporating it into my lessons. We worked on making guesses/ inferences (guessing where he would be the next day/ inference -why the elf was doing something), voting (on what the elf would be doing the next day/ favorite place the elf was), art work (draw your favorite thing the elf did) and so on. The children had a really good time with it. I also received a lot of positive feedback from the parents. One parent told me she had an easier time getting her son up and ready for school because he was excited to see where the elf was and what it was up to. I did feel slightly bad for lying to them, but the pure joy on their faces made up for my guilt.

On behalf of the kids' future therapists...

...thank you for increasing our business.

My pleasure. :wink:
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    used to, then one night the idiot other half of my daughter's gene pool put him on the edge of a lampshade, with the lamp left on and we woke to the elf's *kitten* and the lampshade on fire...oops
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I love that the elf can do pranks! Funny to prank your kid and blame it on the elf.
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Stalkers don't just watch. They menace. They threaten. I suppose saying "no gifties if you're naughty" is a threat of sorts, but with stalkers it's generally a physical threat. I don't think the Elves are down to that.
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We had those Elf ornaments growing up, but they weren't said to watch us. That was the job of the Blue Fairy. She was basically the reflection of my dad's dinner knife on parts of the ceiling. Little did we know! Somehow we didn't do any of this with my girls. I guess they didn't need to be scared straight?
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do, but with real elves.