starvation mode info. is it a real thing?

Options
I've been counting calories (ovbiously) and I've been taking in pretty much no more than 1500 cals. I eat usually 5 times daily 3 meals 2 snacks or 4 times with only on snack. I'm eating chicken or turkey burgers veggies and eggs and only drinking water usually try to hit a gallon but don't typically log it. I've also been working out 45 mins daily doing insanity.

My question is is 1300-1500 calories ok, and is starvation mode a really thing. I know everyone is different just looking for any extra knowledge. And before anyone asks I don't feel like I'm starving I just don't want to not eat enough.

Thanks!!

Replies

• fields4fitness
    fields4fitness Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Recommendations would be appreciated... Im not on a time crunch to lose weight quick I'm trying to be healthy
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 1200-1500 everyday as well. Bump for information.
  • fields4fitness
    Options
    I am just doing what the goals thing set for me. It says 1380 because when I first started I put I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week. Right now I don't care how much I lose I just want to know how many calories are a healtht amount to eat when I'm doing 45 mins of cardio daily. I'm 5'10 170ish 28% BF according to the scale that reads that. So if anyone knows anything I'm willing to change my eating if necessary.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    How do you feel eating 1300-1500? What have your results been so far? Are you concerned about something or just curious?

It's not necessarily a "bad" thing although depending on your stats, you could potentially be running a really large deficit and could have room to eat a little more, but that could potentially slow your losses. Do you eat any of your exercise calories back?

You are most definitely not in starvation mode and yes it is a real thing that would most likely never, ever happen to most of us here. It's really nothing to be concerned about.

ETA....sorry....just saw your stats and your last reply. 1380 is a bit low for your stats....you might want to consider changing your goal to 1lb/week and see what that gets you. You can also play around with eating some of your exercise calories back as well.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am just doing what the goals thing set for me. It says 1380 because when I first started I put I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week. Right now I don't care how much I lose I just want to know how many calories are a healtht amount to eat when I'm doing 45 mins of cardio daily. I'm 5'10 170ish 28% BF according to the scale that reads that. So if anyone knows anything I'm willing to change my eating if necessary.

plug in a smaller loss rate - 0.5 lbs/week perhaps - for a higher intake / lower loss regime.

You have enough body fat to carry a higher deficit for now, but you say you aren't in a hurry.....
  • fields4fitness
    Options
    From the first responders website they provided I found that starvation mode is loosely used. What I thought it meant was that if you don't eat enough of frequently wnough your body stores fat or holds on to it. I am not trying to starve and I don't feel like I'm "starving" I eat when I'm hungry and try to stay in my calories this thing is telling me to based on my "goals".

I started MFP early this year and did want to lose 2 lbs weekly, after my baby was born and before a vacation. I lost 30 pounds from my highest weight while pregnant. I only gained 10 during pregnany, but my lifestyle before becoming pregnant was incredibly unhealthy so the weight kind of well off after BF my son and not living like an idiot.

I don't eat back lost calories, I don't even know how many I'm truly burning its an estimate. I looked ip the kind of cardio insanity is considered, someone said calnestetics (pretty sure I spelled that way wrong) so calories burned isn't accurate. I'm getring a polar for Christmas so I can track that better.

I guess maybe my real question should have been what is a healthy weekly weight loss goal. And what amount of calories should be eaten
  • fields4fitness
    Options
    Oh and since starting insanity amd eating healthy, which was one week ago I have gained 3 pounds. According to my scale my body fat has decreased 1%. The last time I really worked out cosistently it took me months to start losing weight, but the inches were flying off of me. By time 6 months rolled around I had lost 30 pounds and 8 inches off my waist. Measuring was the only thing thatvkept me going
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    From the first responders website they provided I found that starvation mode is loosely used. What I thought it meant was that if you don't eat enough of frequently wnough your body stores fat or holds on to it. I am not trying to starve and I don't feel like I'm "starving" I eat when I'm hungry and try to stay in my calories this thing is telling me to based on my "goals".

Stop talking about starvation mode. It doesn't exist. Eat up to your daily calorie limit, or below them if you like. Workout as much as you want.
    I guess maybe my real question should have been what is a healthy weekly weight loss goal. And what amount of calories should be eaten

About 1 - 1.5 pounds per week long term is about right. It's not linear so some times it will be more, some times less.
    Oh and since starting insanity amd eating healthy, which was one week ago I have gained 3 pounds. According to my scale my body fat has decreased 1%. The last time I really worked out cosistently it took me months to start losing weight, but the inches were flying off of me. By time 6 months rolled around I had lost 30 pounds and 8 inches off my waist. Measuring was the only thing thatvkept me going

I think you are my favourite new member of MFP. If only everyone was like you. This is PERFECT! BF% and inches are the measures you should be aiming at.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories (ovbiously) and I've been taking in pretty much no more than 1500 cals. I eat usually 5 times daily 3 meals 2 snacks or 4 times with only on snack. I'm eating chicken or turkey burgers veggies and eggs and only drinking water usually try to hit a gallon but don't typically log it. I've also been working out 45 mins daily doing insanity.

My question is is 1300-1500 calories ok, and is starvation mode a really thing. I know everyone is different just looking for any extra knowledge. And before anyone asks I don't feel like I'm starving I just don't want to not eat enough.

Thanks!!

Starvation, meh.

What about your trying to drink a gallon of water! That is four litres! Eight glasses of water is the mantra, just over 2 litres, and even that is too much as it disregards the water we take in from food.
  • unbreakablemoth
    Options
    You can definitely hinder your metabolism by eating too little. When I started seeing my doctor it was because I averaged (not on a diet) 900-1300 calories a day at 345 pounds and gaining. I would probably be 350+ by now if I hadn't seen a doctor for help. I thought I over-ate until I went out with some friends and realized my thin friends ate as much as me or more. (My whole family is like me.) We ran a bazillion tests and found that my metabolism is just terrible from under-eating and inactivity. (I am a FT student and mom--so it's not like there isn't activity!) I owe my doctor big time.

Edited to say that people's intake needs are different, and this is just a scenario that happened to me--but that it is possible (per your question) for your body to store fat if it's concerned. Mine has been a little over-anxious ya might say ;)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

I started MFP early this year and did want to lose 2 lbs weekly, after my baby was born and before a vacation. I lost 30 pounds from my highest weight while pregnant. I only gained 10 during pregnany, but my lifestyle before becoming pregnant was incredibly unhealthy so the weight kind of well off after BF my son and not living like an idiot.

I don't eat back lost calories, I don't even know how many I'm truly burning its an estimate. I looked ip the kind of cardio insanity is considered, someone said calnestetics (pretty sure I spelled that way wrong) so calories burned isn't accurate. I'm getring a polar for Christmas so I can track that better.

1lb a week would be a good place to start., it's a better long term plan to do it slow and steady and this is mainly due to diet adherence. You can still enjoy the foods you love all while having them fit into your daily goal. In my view, that's an awesome win-win situation! I'm happy to see that you do not put too much into your exercise calories....you recognize that you don't have an accurate way to measure your burn, so rather than entering some crazy guesstimate, you leave it be.

The gain since you started insanity is water/glycogen which is evidenced by the fact that you lost BF% so great job on looking at that!

I will reiterate though, if you feel fine on your current intake....your energy levels are not suffering, sleeping well, mood is good, then you are good. If however, you are feeling sluggish, lethargic, short tempered, sleep is being affected, then it's a good idea to play with your calories and give yourself more fuel.
  • fields4fitness
    Options
    You can definitely hinder your metabolism by eating too little. When I started seeing my doctor it was because I averaged (not on a diet) 900-1300 calories a day at 345 pounds and gaining. I would probably be 350+ by now if I hadn't seen a doctor for help. I thought I over-ate until I went out with some friends and realized my thin friends ate as much as me or more. (My whole family is like me.) We ran a bazillion tests and found that my metabolism is just terrible from under-eating and inactivity. (I am a FT student and mom--so it's not like there isn't activity!) I owe my doctor big time.

Edited to say that people's intake needs are different, and this is just a scenario that happened to me--but that it is possible (per your question) for your body to store fat if it's concerned. Mine has been a little over-anxious ya might say ;)

Thank you for your response as I said I THOUGHT STARVATION MODE WAS WHEN YOUR BODY STORES FAT BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT EATING ENOUGH (toward everyone who didn't get that from my other posts) I'm just seeking help for anyone who knows what a good range of calorie intake would be. I appretiate you sharing your story.
  • fields4fitness
    Options

1lb a week would be a good place to start., it's a better long term plan to do it slow and steady and this is mainly due to diet adherence. You can still enjoy the foods you love all while having them fit into your daily goal. In my view, that's an awesome win-win situation! I'm happy to see that you do not put too much into your exercise calories....you recognize that you don't have an accurate way to measure your burn, so rather than entering some crazy guesstimate, you leave it be.

The gain since you started insanity is water/glycogen which is evidenced by the fact that you lost BF% so great job on looking at that!

I will reiterate though, if you feel fine on your current intake....your energy levels are not suffering, sleeping well, mood is good, then you are good. If however, you are feeling sluggish, lethargic, short tempered, sleep is being affected, then it's a good idea to play with your calories and give yourself more fuel.

Thank you so much for your Helpful response! I feel great amd eat when I'm hungry. I realllllly should have used a less controversial title for my question!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your Helpful response! I feel great amd eat when I'm hungry. I realllllly should have used a less controversial title for my question!

Do be aware that hunger is not a good gauge actually.

You can undereat and mess up your hormones such that you do not feel hungry. even though for your level of activity your body would like more food.

You feeling full and your body being fully fed are 2 different things.

Depending on the severity and duration of that spread, you might not notice anything for a bit of time.

Much like you'd never be aware you were vitamin or mineral deficient until the actual effects showed up, sometime months down the road, sometimes to really bad consequences at that point in time.
    But you don't get near the end of the day and kind of notice your body and realize, I think I'm low on vitamin D today.

Those side effects listed are good ones, the only problem is far too many are very deep into them, and/or they only notice them when they get out of them. Like you may think being tired during the day is correct for the exercise you are doing, or may not even notice it in comparison to before. Until you eat more and have more energy again.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

It is VERY COMMON for people to "gain" weight in the first month of Insanity. I did, as well as probably 90% of the people who have done it. Inches should be coming off relatively easy. n the second month you should shed a fair amount of weight and inches.

After I finished Insanity the biggest thing I learned is my goals are more fitness oriented. I want to be more fit. I don't so much care what I weigh as much as I care about being able to attain my physical goals. With the level of fitness I am aiming for in 2014 weight is sure to come off as long as I keep my eating in line.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Do be aware that hunger is not a good gauge actually.

According to whom?

It just seems that is more of that whole "starvation mode" schpeel. Unless we are genuinely starving, we aren't 'messing up our hormones'