starvation mode info. is it a real thing?

Options
2»

Replies

• fields4fitness
    fields4fitness Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok a little recap from what I've said that some may have not read. Or things that I should have said that maybe I haven't.

I'm 5' 10" and a healthy 173.0 (now)
    I just started eating Healthy lean meat and veggies and some protein bar etc
    My MFP had me at 1380 calories for an old goal I set I think in May or something.
    I'm doing insanity and just started one week ago
    I drink a gallon ish of water daily (there is no such thing as to much water so I'll always do this)
    I'm not trying to starve myself and I'm not afraid of starving!

I am just curious if 1380 is a good amount of intake. I shouldn't have worded my question any other way I just misunderstood the meaning of starvation mode.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    On the surface it does look like a good intake. As far as MFP goes I'd set it at a 1 lb a week loss and shoot a bit under it (which is what I believe you are doing now) but its always good to have a cal wiggle room with small goals to not lose motivation if things don't go perfect from week to week.

But overall, looks solid. You'll want to pay close attention to your macros with it since you are working out and eat back some but not all of your burnt cals.

Don't stress about starvation mode. Most in here have no idea what it is and its the equivalent of bringing up religion or politics when you are at a bar. Everyone will just end up screaming at each other. Truth is you and lost people on here will ne'er deal with it for real so don't waste your time listening to peeps ranting about it.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Ok a little recap from what I've said that some may have not read. Or things that I should have said that maybe I haven't.

I'm 5' 10" and a healthy 173.0 (now)
    I just started eating Healthy lean meat and veggies and some protein bar etc
    My MFP had me at 1380 calories for an old goal I set I think in May or something.
    I'm doing insanity and just started one week ago
    I drink a gallon ish of water daily (there is no such thing as to much water so I'll always do this)
    I'm not trying to starve myself and I'm not afraid of starving!

I am just curious if 1380 is a good amount of intake. I shouldn't have worded my question any other way I just misunderstood the meaning of starvation mode.

I think it may be a little low for you doing Insanity. Just for comparison, I'm 5'4" and started Insanity at 186. I was set at 1550 plus eating back my exercise calories, so most days in the neighborhood of 1900ish. And that was just so i didn't feel fatigued or grumpy doing my normal activities.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories (ovbiously) and I've been taking in pretty much no more than 1500 cals. I eat usually 5 times daily 3 meals 2 snacks or 4 times with only on snack. I'm eating chicken or turkey burgers veggies and eggs and only drinking water usually try to hit a gallon but don't typically log it. I've also been working out 45 mins daily doing insanity.

My question is is 1300-1500 calories ok, and is starvation mode a really thing. I know everyone is different just looking for any extra knowledge. And before anyone asks I don't feel like I'm starving I just don't want to not eat enough.

Thanks!!

Starvation, meh.

What about your trying to drink a gallon of water! That is four litres! Eight glasses of water is the mantra, just over 2 litres, and even that is too much as it disregards the water we take in from food.

alleluia...someone who recognises that sometimes TOO much water can be drunk....I think I love you!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your Helpful response! I feel great amd eat when I'm hungry. I realllllly should have used a less controversial title for my question!

Do be aware that hunger is not a good gauge actually.

According to whom?

It just seems that is more of that whole "starvation mode" schpeel. Unless we are genuinely starving, we aren't 'messing up our hormones'

Ever hear of leptin and ghrelin?
    Every single meal or lack thereof can throw them out of kilter compared to normal levels.

Shoot, cortisol as stress hormone can be "messed up" in the sense it stays elevated to overtraining compared to beneficial spikes from exercise. And overtraining can happen if not eating enough for your level of activity and continuing to try to press out those workouts at intense levels too.

You do NOT need to go to extremes to have those and other hormones effected.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/bodyweight-regulation-wrap-up-other-hormones.html

Showing just how intertwined they are, and how you can effect yourself by your diet, not only amount of eating but macros too.

So while it may "seem" otherwise, just see how easy it is to effect those things that control hunger.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories (ovbiously) and I've been taking in pretty much no more than 1500 cals. I eat usually 5 times daily 3 meals 2 snacks or 4 times with only on snack. I'm eating chicken or turkey burgers veggies and eggs and only drinking water usually try to hit a gallon but don't typically log it. I've also been working out 45 mins daily doing insanity.

My question is is 1300-1500 calories ok, and is starvation mode a really thing. I know everyone is different just looking for any extra knowledge. And before anyone asks I don't feel like I'm starving I just don't want to not eat enough.

Thanks!!

Keep in mind the very distinct difference being used for starvation mode and starving yourself - not the same thing.

For your level of activity, no that is not enough calories if you actually want improvement from that workout - why would you do it otherwise though?

You might notice even Insanity has a diet plan that recognizes the need to eat more for their workout, if you want to drop fat easily. Visit their website.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    You can definitely hinder your metabolism by eating too little. When I started seeing my doctor it was because I averaged (not on a diet) 900-1300 calories a day at 345 pounds and gaining. I would probably be 350+ by now if I hadn't seen a doctor for help. I thought I over-ate until I went out with some friends and realized my thin friends ate as much as me or more. (My whole family is like me.) We ran a bazillion tests and found that my metabolism is just terrible from under-eating and inactivity. (I am a FT student and mom--so it's not like there isn't activity!) I owe my doctor big time.

Edited to say that people's intake needs are different, and this is just a scenario that happened to me--but that it is possible (per your question) for your body to store fat if it's concerned. Mine has been a little over-anxious ya might say ;)

Very similar here! I guarantee that when I made an effort to "diet" at 300 lb, I was eating under 1,000 cals and not losing.

When I started MFP my goal was around 1600 daily and I ate almost EXACTLY that and lost steadily. Midway through the summer I didn't have as much of an appetite and a busier schedule, so instead of the 1500 suggested I was eating around 1200. TOTALLY stopped losing weight for 3 weeks and then went back to 1500 and lost weight.

I believe "starvation mode" is something different but yes it is definitely true that you can see a halted weight loss effort from eating too few calories.
  • fields4fitness
    Options
    I may be completely ignorant but what is a macro? I keep hearing about them but haven't the slightest idea of what they are.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I may be completely ignorant but what is a macro? I keep hearing about them but haven't the slightest idea of what they are.

Macronutrient - carbohydrate, protein or fat (maybe alcohol, LOL)
  • fields4fitness
    Options
    Hmmm I'm in over my head!!! :angry: haha oh well there are so many opinions and so many different ways to lose weight, get toned up, trim up, get in shape.... I reckon I'll figure it out eventually with trial and error
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your Helpful response! I feel great amd eat when I'm hungry. I realllllly should have used a less controversial title for my question!

Do be aware that hunger is not a good gauge actually.

According to whom?

It just seems that is more of that whole "starvation mode" schpeel. Unless we are genuinely starving, we aren't 'messing up our hormones'

Ever hear of leptin and ghrelin?
    Every single meal or lack thereof can throw them out of kilter compared to normal levels.

Shoot, cortisol as stress hormone can be "messed up" in the sense it stays elevated to overtraining compared to beneficial spikes from exercise. And overtraining can happen if not eating enough for your level of activity and continuing to try to press out those workouts at intense levels too.

You do NOT need to go to extremes to have those and other hormones effected.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/bodyweight-regulation-wrap-up-other-hormones.html

Showing just how intertwined they are, and how you can effect yourself by your diet, not only amount of eating but macros too.

So while it may "seem" otherwise, just see how easy it is to effect those things that control hunger.

I have surely heard of both.
    I've read journal articles on those topics.

Studies have shown changes in hormone levels, but not enough to be especially disruptive.

She gets hungry. She eats when she's hungry. She hasn't lost her appetite all together.
    She's fine. No need to tell her boogieman stories.

We women need not treat our oh-so-delicate hormones like we are delicate daisies.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm in over my head!!! :angry: haha oh well there are so many opinions and so many different ways to lose weight, get toned up, trim up, get in shape.... I reckon I'll figure it out eventually with trial and error

yes. you're on the right path.
    if you aren't on the right path, you'll get hungry and you'll eat.

you're fine.
  • fields4fitness
    Options
    Thank you DamePiglet. I feel like I'm looking like an anorexia sufferer. :-/