My diet pill confession: I don't use them to lose weight...

Options
... I use diet pills to get an edge at my job.

Yep, that's right.

I'm a court reporter by profession. And I'm essentially taking Speed every morning (ephedrine) to give me a leg up at my job. Is it illegal? No. It's perfectly legal. Is it ethical? That's the question I'm struggling with. I am expected at my job to write, instantaneously, everything that people say in a legal setting. Sometimes, that's 250-300 words per minute for stretches of time on my little machine. Surely anything that helps me do my job to the best of my ability is a good thing; however, I feel like if anyone knew, they would use it as another nail in the coffin for my job. Court reporters are being eliminated elsewhere in North America and being replaced by tape recorders and typists. Ideally I get my speed up to the point where I can do television closed captioning (yes, if you didn't know, that's a real person doing your evening news captions live).

When I was in college, people knew that I was using them before tests. No one really discouraged it, but people did of course warn me about the health effects it could have on me. I know it's not healthy, and I know it would be far better if I could do my job at this level without the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

I don't know, just wanted to get this off my chest before i go to work this morning. Just wondering if anyone else uses strong stimulants like this to increase their work performance, and if so, how it affects you.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot older than you, so from a different era. Not sure about the ramifications of doing your job with "performance enhancing drugs". I do know that people burning the candle at both ends usually go down in flames at some point.

I would talk to a medical professional about what impact using this drug will have on your health long term. If you are finding that this job is requiring you to use drugs to keep up, it may be time to find a different profession. You're young. It's possible.

Best of luck, I hope you make the right decisions. :flowerforyou:
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm only just starting out on my chosen career. It's because I don't have the experience right now as the older reporters I'm looking to replace. There's going to be an incredible amount of them retiring,and our workload already is increasing accordingly. I perhaps don't need the drugs any more than anyone else just starting out. I have a few interesting attributes that make me uniquely good at my job as is: A talent for English, I'm left-handed, and I've been a piano player since a young age. All of these have been shown to give us a leg up in the field (there's actually been research on whether left-handed people make better court reporters... who knew?)

Really appreciate the advice. I may mention it to the doctor when I go to get my bc prescription refilled shortly, but I have my doubts that the doctor will know anything about it. Because it's a herbal supplement(and most diet pills here are just herbal supplements with caffeine) I highly doubt the doctor will know any more about it than I or Google do. Supplements are totally unregulated and uncontrolled, so I can't imagine the doctor would have any reason to have much knowledge about it, unfortunately. A dietician would be the only one who I expect would know, and they are few and far between.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in a dying profession, but is more toward the end of her career, I would recommend that you change fields if your profession is on its way out. It's much easier at your age than waiting to become unemployed,or for wages to fall because there's an overabundance of people who can do your job.

Consider picking something in the medical field, such as a paraprofessional in a dental or doctor's office. The pace isn't so crazy that you need to do yourself in with drugs . You can't be replaced by technology.

You might be able to hang on for now, but then down the road suddenly you might find you can't, and that it's much harder at an older age to switch fields or train for something new.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I also play the piano and it's makes typing, etc, a different duck. Often my brain types words before I realize what I've written.

You said, "I perhaps don't need the drugs any more than anyone else just starting out." Have you discussed this with other new court reporters? Are they ALL using drugs to be able to perform in their jobs? I find this a little concerning, because this is something you have professed to being really suited for. Yet, stress such as this has ended many a career and not in a good way.

Some types of these drugs, if nothing else, can be very addictive. Not really a good thing for someone entrusted to record legal proceedings. I still encourage you to find another, more healthy way, to deal with your stress.

Good luck.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you need drugs to just get through your work day when you're just starting out, I suggest a career change. If you can't handle the entry-level work without a performance enhancer, this isn't a good path to be on.

Have you tried lots of coffee? That usually helps me stay alert and focus :D
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you need drugs to just get through your work day when you're just starting out, I suggest a career change. If you can't handle the entry-level work without a performance enhancer, this isn't a good path to be on.

Have you tried lots of coffee? That usually helps me stay alert and focus :D

Coffee makes me jittery. Lol.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in a dying profession, but is more toward the end of her career, I would recommend that you change fields if your profession is on its way out. It's much easier at your age than waiting to become unemployed,or for wages to fall because there's an overabundance of people who can do your job.

Consider picking something in the medical field, such as a paraprofessional in a dental or doctor's office. The pace isn't so crazy that you need to do yourself in with drugs . You can't be replaced by technology.

You might be able to hang on for now, but then down the road suddenly you might find you can't, and that it's much harder at an older age to switch fields or train for something new.

I agree with this. I'm in a dying industry and dying company, and we're just biding our time until the owner pulls the plug. I'm looking for work left and right, but it's difficult. I don't care what they say about the economy picking up. Finding full-time professional work is nowhere near as easy as it used to be for me.

It's a matter of time before the court you work for decides to switch to machines to do your job. Don't wait until you receive the notice that your job is gone to find something new.

Regarding your initial post, as far as taking diet pills to get your job done better: as the workload increases, you may find yourself having to take more in order to get the same effect and keep yourself going, which is a VERY slippery slope. Be extremely careful, as you don't want to get addicted. In addition, as you mentioned yourself, they're unregulated, so heaven knows what's actually in them. You don't want to find out in 15-20 years that your organs are trashed because of some messed up chemical that was slipped in.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I type with two fingers. left hand pointer finger, right hand middle finger.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    keaton.jpg

jessiespanocaffeinepillsintervention2.jpg
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

...for my seasonal allergies. One or two of the smallest dosages a day, sometimes every other, and have been since before I started losing weight. Wayyyyyyyy cheaper than buying any other seasonal allergy mediation, and it's the same active ingredient.

I didn't even know that it's meant to be used for weight loss until I came on this site :indifferent:
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Honestly, it's probably better to find a different career early than it is to start a career in a dying field that you use ephedrine for just to stay relevant in your industry. It's not worth it, on both the career and health accounts.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    oops already suggested
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's probably better to find a different career early than it is to start a career in a dying field that you use ephedrine for just to stay relevant in your industry. It's not worth it, on both the career and health accounts.

This. Also, I'm an attorney, & while I know what a tough job you guys have, you definitely don't need/shouldn't need drugs to get through your day. I'm not sure if you do mostly depositions or court proceedings, but don't be afraid to tell attorneys/their clients to slow down and speak more clearly. There is no need to stress yourself out over something that is largely preventable.

Think about the long-haul implications of this - you don't want to be stuck in a career for 40 years when you're doing speed every day, do you? If your job is totally stressing you, I would think either about a career change or making some modifications that allow you to relieve the stress from your job.

Also, I'm of the school of thought that court reporters will never be replaced by electronic transcripts :)
  • ltgw2000
    ltgw2000 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it without the ephedrine? I mean really tried for a stretch of time and given yourself a few weeks to adjust. Ephedrine makes me a little shaky. You might find out you don't need it as much as you think you do. You might do just fine without it. I bet you are indeed that good, you just need to trust your skills. Then you can worry about new jobs on their own merits. Good Luck!
  • YoungIronG
    YoungIronG Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    do what you gotsta do to survive
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    ... I use diet pills to get an edge at my job.

Yep, that's right.

I'm a court reporter by profession. And I'm essentially taking Speed every morning (ephedrine) to give me a leg up at my job. Is it illegal? No. It's perfectly legal. Is it ethical? That's the question I'm struggling with. I am expected at my job to write, instantaneously, everything that people say in a legal setting. Sometimes, that's 250-300 words per minute for stretches of time on my little machine. Surely anything that helps me do my job to the best of my ability is a good thing; however, I feel like if anyone knew, they would use it as another nail in the coffin for my job. Court reporters are being eliminated elsewhere in North America and being replaced by tape recorders and typists. Ideally I get my speed up to the point where I can do television closed captioning (yes, if you didn't know, that's a real person doing your evening news captions live).

When I was in college, people knew that I was using them before tests. No one really discouraged it, but people did of course warn me about the health effects it could have on me. I know it's not healthy, and I know it would be far better if I could do my job at this level without the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

I don't know, just wanted to get this off my chest before i go to work this morning. Just wondering if anyone else uses strong stimulants like this to increase their work performance, and if so, how it affects you.

Undiagnosed ADHD?
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    HMMMMMm! let me tell you a story. I used to drink coffee EVERY morning because I thought I needed it. I used to drink alcohol as well. Realized I didn't need either. You don't NEED those pills! in fact besides protein drinks I don't use anything. My workouts are even better.

Don't get hooked! Before you know it..crack! jk!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I recommend you try your job without the diet pills. You look young to me. When I was in my 20s, I did lots and lots of things with lots and lots of diet pills. I do not have medical evidence of it, but I believe it messed with my metabolism. But from a medical standpoint, I do know that different pills caused me to have chest pains, left me sleepless and nauseous, and in the long run, always hindered my weightloss goals. My physician insisted I knock it off. My feeling is, if your goal is to be a healthy weight/healthy, successful person, consider kicking the pills to the curb.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

...for my seasonal allergies. One or two of the smallest dosages a day, sometimes every other, and have been since before I started losing weight. Wayyyyyyyy cheaper than buying any other seasonal allergy mediation, and it's the same active ingredient.

I didn't even know that it's meant to be used for weight loss until I came on this site :indifferent:

I use Allergra-D for my seasonal allergies and have occassionally taken them for energy and to curb hunger. I only take them when my allergies get really bad now because I felt like they were making me moody and messing with my sleep.

They are REALLY expensive... like more than $1/pill. Where do you get your ephedrine? I'm curious if it would work for my allergies as good as the Allegra-D/
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    At first I was going to ask how you were even getting your hands on ephedrine, I know it can be bought in pure form at nutrition stores where all the body building stuff is.... my question is, how is it even effective for anything anymore being that Canadian law changed here and it can only be sold 8mg or less pills. I would think a caffeine pill, or cup of green tea would have about as much effect. I remember in the early 90's before when you could buy the stuff as a 'nasal decongestiant' and it rocked you with energy, then people started having heart attacks and dying (not to mention meth started to rear it's ugly head) and they replaced it with this 'lesser' ephedra stuff, and it didn't do anything. You'd have to take like 20 pills to have the same effect.... which now that I'm old and wise, I can't imagine wanting to do to myself. I suggest thinking about that. There's a reason why it's not recommended. The things you do to yourself in your youth have a tendency to cause lasting damage and bite you in the *kitten* when you're older. Problems with your kidneys, heart, and liver are likely not worth the extra bit faster you can type.