My diet pill confession: I don't use them to lose weight...

Options

Replies

• pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Stenographers definitely have their place but if you need pep pills to keep up then you're in the wrong field and should probably switch careers. I've known other stenographers and they practiced regularly to ensure their speed was sufficient. I suggest you try that before relying on pills to get through the day.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    double post
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    keaton.jpg

jessiespanocaffeinepillsintervention2.jpg

/thread
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I would start thinking less about the guilt of using them in your job and more about how they affect your health. Not good. When you end up in the hospital with heart problems, getting an edge at work will be the least of your concerns.
  • rebeccaaa_elizabeth
    Options
    keaton.jpg

THIS.
  • iamanadult
    Options
    You say caffeine makes you jittery? ..but ephedrine doesn't? :indifferent:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • iamanadult
    Options
    Surely anything that helps me do my job to the best of my ability is a good thing; however, I feel like if anyone knew, they would use it as another nail in the coffin for my job.

If you don't want this getting back to your work, why on earth would you post it on the internet? By clicking on your profile I can see that you work right across the street from me. You should really ask to have this post removed.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Instead of using diet pills in this way, I would talk to your doctor. If you feel the need to take speedy drugs to get through the day at your job, maybe you're dealing with an attention or mood disorder? Not being snarky or anything (it's hard to decipher tone on the internet); just giving a legit suggestion with maybe a way for you to get prescribed something tailored for your body (unlike diet pills, which can have adverse health affects)

And so no one misunderstands, I'm not telling OP to weasel her way into a prescription--- just that maybe something advised by her doctor, rather than administered herself, could help in a more effective/healthier way than what she's doing now.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a stimulant too, and gives people an 'edge' too.... but Caffeine is socially acceptable despite there being some (modest) risks related to caffeine consumption.

And while we're at it... Wellbutrin can increase motivation and performance...

So can Provigil and related compounds...

My point? Human beings use stimulants and have for as long as we've had a brain smart enough to figure out what we're putting into our body.

If you feel okay about it... and its not illegal... AND if you're aware of the health risks and are willing to accept those risks... then... who are we to tell you Yea or Nay?

"Ethics" has some black and white, and a whole lotta grey... I don't think it is unethical to consume a legal stimulant to give you an edge at work. The stimulant is available to all. But that's my opinion... the one that matters most here is yours. You decide. You're the one putting the chemicals into your body.
  • cahping
    Options
    What exactly are you taking? Is it ephedra extract? That's different than straight ephedrine right?

I've taken Stimerex ES with ephedra extract in the past and I was fine. Just don't abuse it and drink a gallon of water a day.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, Court Reporters will never be completely eliminated. How many attorneys and judges want to fast forward through hours of video tape to find something they need? There will still be a need for transcripts. How they happen may change as things become more computerized, but there will always be a need for transcripts.

That being said, I went to school for Court Reporting and I could never get my speed past a plateau of around 225wpm. I can understand the need for speed.

However, your health and well being are far more important. I believe you should speak with your doctor to discuss the long term ramifications of what you are doing. Please be careful. Long term, these pills can affect your heart, lungs and liver.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    [/quote]

Laughing and shaking my head because I remember exactly what was going on here.....
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a stimulant too, and gives people an 'edge' too.... but Caffeine is socially acceptable despite there being some (modest) risks related to caffeine consumption.

And while we're at it... Wellbutrin can increase motivation and performance...

So can Provigil and related compounds...

My point? Human beings use stimulants and have for as long as we've had a brain smart enough to figure out what we're putting into our body.

If you feel okay about it... and its not illegal... AND if you're aware of the health risks and are willing to accept those risks... then... who are we to tell you Yea or Nay?

"Ethics" has some black and white, and a whole lotta grey... I don't think it is unethical to consume a legal stimulant to give you an edge at work. The stimulant is available to all. But that's my opinion... the one that matters most here is yours. You decide. You're the one putting the chemicals into your body.

Exactly what I was going to say. It's also a common ingredient in cold/allergy medicines. It's not like she's smoking meth to get through her day...

From what I have seen in people i was prescribed to for allergies or what ever reason, it's fine in moderation and not when abused.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    keaton.jpg

Fresh-Prince-prom-CarltoN_338.jpg

Surely anything that helps me do my job to the best of my ability is a good thing; however, I feel like if anyone knew, they would use it as another nail in the coffin for my job.

If you don't want this getting back to your work, why on earth would you post it on the internet? By clicking on your profile I can see that you work right across the street from me. You should really ask to have this post removed.

:laugh: I was wondering the same thing...What if one of your coworkers uses this site? I still can't believe that speed helps you type faster while still keeping your accuracy high (no pun intended).
  • googlebear123
    Options
    PED's aren't just for top level athletes anymore, they are widely used even in academia. its more of a reflection on society than it is on yourself.

do what you gotta do, just do it safely.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    keaton.jpg

:laugh: I was wondering the same thing...What if one of your coworkers uses this site? I still can't believe that speed helps you type faster while still keeping your accuracy high (no pun intended).

So now the mature adults here now going to seek out random stranger's employers and turn them in for taking a LEGAL medication?
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    keaton.jpg

So now the mature adults here now going to seek out random stranger's employers and turn them in for taking a LEGAL medication?

For my own personal curiosity how can you see where someone is posting from??
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    where do you get the epedrine from?
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

For my own personal curiosity how can you see where someone is posting from??

She probably just took the mbr's location from her profile. We know the mbr works in a court. Maybe there are few courts in that area. I looked at her profile after reading it and I didn't see anything else about her location.

Regarding the above quote about people turning her in for using a legal drug, I think that the other person and I were just pointing out that it's a bad idea to post something like this when even she admitted that her employer may use this against her. She's clearly abusing diet pills --or, at least some people may see it that way. And, that's where the problem lies. If she had posted the same thing about her needing to drink to do her job, her employer would 1-frown on her posting that publicly (I know my employer would) and 2-question her performance. I know that I wouldn't want that type of attention from my employer. And, by the way, there's a reason that products state that it's illegal to use them for any reason than what they were intended. I was in the grocery store one day and there was a sign in the whipped cream section that said, "No huffers." Apparently, people get high off of sniffing the fumes in the whipped cream cans. Crazy. Stronger versions of medicines like Claritin can't be purchased w/o a prescription now bc druggies use them to make meth. Claritin and whipped cream are legal, but they can be abused.