How to keep a kitten off of the Christmas tree???

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    mSE7iTgfsNeEiHws69VZX0A.jpg
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    ha ha, you don't, mine love it!
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    we had a motion activated ornament that would go off horribly loud! The cat was terrified
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It really won't get any better as the kitten gets older. Cats love Christmas trees. It's like a little piece of outdoors with toys on it.

I bought plastic ornaments for my tree and I give my kitty one of the round ones to play with (minus the hook). She seems to be pretty satisfied as long as she has one of her own. But she still HAS to climb it. She's a cat... it's what she does.
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    we use a spray bottle to deter our kitty, and he heads for the hills the second he hears us say "grab the bottle" lol
  • FitFabStar29
    Options
    I made a cardboard (3D - ie, spokes) and stapled it to the wall, mine didn't play with it that year.

I hung mine from the ceiling (upside down) that worked too, but was a pain getting up & down.

Finally gave up - she eats the "fake" needles - walks 2 feet vomits them up, then goes back to try again. Or she loves the light wires - saw sparks as she was chewing and it didn't stop her. I think my damn cat got a hold of my Kanomi code as a kitten - infinite lives!

This made me smile!
  • FitFabStar29
    Options
    mSE7iTgfsNeEiHws69VZX0A.jpg

haha love it!
  • FitFabStar29
    Options
    we had a motion activated ornament that would go off horribly loud! The cat was terrified

this is a good idea!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    before you chase it off get a picture of it up the tree because that's just adorably cute
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    They make keep-away spray for cats and dogs that smells awful to them. It's not supposed to smell like anything to humans (though it does to some people.) You can try spraying your tree with it. Just ask about it at the pet store. They should have it.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    before you chase it off get a picture of it up the tree because that's just adorably cute

This, too
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    omG this made me laugh....i have soooooo many pics of my cute little kitten nestled in my Christmas tree. Last year my tree was white and she looked so freaking adorable peeking out of her little spot located second floor from the very top lol Obviously i have no tips for you, cause i tried them all and finally just accepted that she's not gonna stay out of it till she's older. Took me one Christmas season to realize that. So many times i came out of my bedroom in the morning and the tree was lying on the floor. Funny now, not so funny then!! So, good luck with finding something that works.
    LOL, she's not coming out of that tree haha.
    That's adorable, though. Care to share pics? :)

never really bothered to learn how to put pics on here, but i added one as my display pic right now. Not the cutest one i've taken, but still cute haha

Awwwwww!!!!!!!
    Soooooo cute <3333 Thanks for sharing hahaha
  • FitFabStar29
    Options
    I saw this and thought, "did I post something and not know it???" I am dealing with this right now! I put up my pretty tree (as seen in my pic) last weekend. I have two cats, my older one has never touched it, but I just "rescued" a kitty this fall and its her first Christmas. The first few days she sniffed around and attempted to bat at an ornament, which I caught her and sprayed her with the water bottle. I ended up spraying her any time she got close to the tree after that and it seemed to work. That is until last night. She managed to get about 1/4 of it messed up and shattered an ornament batting it so hard against the dining room table legs. I came home and was ticked, but was able to reposition everything. Then I woke up around 3 am to finding over half of the tree destroyed--trimming unraveled, ornaments all over the floor. Needless to say we aren't on speaking terms at the moment.

I just did some research this morning and found 2 things I'm going to try. 1) either place oranges around the tree or spray with a citrus scent as cats are not keen on the scent, and 2) place pine cones at the base of the tree as cats do not like stepping on them (which for a little added help spray those with the citrus scent). I'm buying the stuff tonight--I'm hoping for success for my sake and hers!

I will try this also.. my son finally understands Christmas and the whole "santa thing" and I want to make this really special for him seeing last year Christmas did not happen for us. I want to do the whole Christmas in wonderland thing with snow (cotton balls) and I was considering putting wire up to keep the cat out, but I can see it's not going to work. ugh
  • FitFabStar29
    Options

This, too

agreed!
  • bluesunset2015
    Options
    29zybti.jpg

15964n.jpg
  • ThePlight
    Options
    29zybti.jpg

15964n.jpg

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    xmas-vacay-cat.jpg careful w/ the lights, too....
  • ThePlight
    Options
    xmas-vacay-cat.jpg careful w/ the lights, too....
    Unplugged when the beasts are about. Yup.
    Cat = small toddler to me.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Best trick I have found so far :

In an empty bottle mix
    1liter of water
    10 drops lemon essential oils
    20 drops eucalyptus oil

Spray the tree with the mix

This looks promising.

yeah that is a good idea. I never tried to essential oils to keep my cats away from something, but i have mixed lemon, eucalyptus & lavender in lotion and they stay away after i use it. also i have a peppermint foot spray that they do not like.

The thing that works so well with this mix is that it is natural, so you won't harm your beloved furry ball and it smells good :flowerforyou:
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Rotating Xmas stand works for us. Kitty doesn't like the tree moving so she doesn't climb inside it except while I'm assembling.

She still makes a play for the lower ornaments and I actually encourage this as those are *hers*. No catnip stuff but little stuffed items she can "kill" that cost me a dollar or less (any "hairless" stuffy can have a string tied to it) or kitty balls she chases around the floor.

I also leave a cardboard scratch pad nearby because after she's "killed" an ornament (pulled it from tree) for some reason she has a need to take her claws to something (kind of like "I am the queen of the world - hahaha!") and I don't particularly car for her tearing up anything but the cardboard. She also get a kitty snacking if she sticks to her ornaments. I'm good with bribery since our tree was $300. It's also 12 years old.

Good luck!