Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to keep a kitten off of the Christmas tree???

Replies

• sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    This is why you get a dog, your cat runs your house. Who's meowin now.

THIS. I have a dog. my dog likes to look at the tree. my dog does not attempt to climb the tree. my dog does not try to eat the tree. my dog doesn't attack the ornaments. in fact, he sleeps most of the day... unless there's a squirrel. then he barks. or unless it's time to eat. or poop. well, you get the idea...

My cat poops in a central, easy to clean location, my cat doesn't drool on my furniture, my cat doesn't eat my shoes, my cat doesn't jump on my company, my cat doesn't annoy my neighbors barking at "ghosts", my cat doesn't track in mud, my cat doesn't need a baby sitter if I go on vacation, my cat doesn't whine if I leave the house for more than 2 seconds, my cat doesn't rush through the house knocking over precious objects like a lot of dogs do year round, never mind once a year holiday decorations, my cat doesn't try to break through windows to eat mailmen either, you get my point.

*edit* I'll consider my life run by an animal when I'm out at 2 am in the rain taking it for a walk, sleepy and miserable, picking up its poop in a little plastic baggy =). That's what I call whipped.

your response is hysterical. really.

my dog poops in a central, easy to clean location (puppy pad trained). my dog doesn't drool on my funiture...or ever for that matter. my dog doesn't eat my shoes. my dog doesn't jump on company, although he's alot more friendly than my (dead) cat ever was. my dog doesn't annoy my neighbors barking at "ghosts" (however my neighbors dogs do at 3:00 AM) -- in fact, most of the neighbors who have met my tiny dog have asked to babysit him or have playdates with him. my dog doesn't track in mud... nor does he track cat litter residue all over my carpet. my dog doesn't need a babysitter when i go on vacation (he goes with me... or he stays home with my mom since we live together). my dog doesn't whine when I leave the house to go to work (according to my mother) -- but he sure is SUPER excited to see me when I get home, unlike my (dead) cat who was the most stuck-up thing ever. my dog doesn't rush through the house knocking over ANY objects (precious or otherwise). my dog doesn't try to break through windows to eat mailmen either (my dad is a mailman, and my dog happens to love him - in AND out of uniform). i get your point. do you get mine?

you SHOULD consider your life run by an animal when you're out at 2 am in the rain taking it for a walk sleepy and miserable -- actually, you should just consider yourself mentally insane at that point. you know what I would call whipped...?! raking through a cat's sandbox to clean it's turds... and eventually dumping said sandbox out and starting all over again.

You know what else my dog doesn't do...? leave little turd-bombs in my neighbors backyard while he's roaming the earth in search of an adventure... in fact, he doesn't bury his turds in the kid's sandbox next door either. He also doesn't wander through my neighbors yards or bushes unwelcomed. In addition, he doesn't kill other animals and leave their remains all over the place... like the cat that left a bed of feathers on my front lawn yesterday.

peace.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

THIS. I have a dog. my dog likes to look at the tree. my dog does not attempt to climb the tree. my dog does not try to eat the tree. my dog doesn't attack the ornaments. in fact, he sleeps most of the day... unless there's a squirrel. then he barks. or unless it's time to eat. or poop. well, you get the idea...

My cat poops in a central, easy to clean location, my cat doesn't drool on my furniture, my cat doesn't eat my shoes, my cat doesn't jump on my company, my cat doesn't annoy my neighbors barking at "ghosts", my cat doesn't track in mud, my cat doesn't need a baby sitter if I go on vacation, my cat doesn't whine if I leave the house for more than 2 seconds, my cat doesn't rush through the house knocking over precious objects like a lot of dogs do year round, never mind once a year holiday decorations, my cat doesn't try to break through windows to eat mailmen either, you get my point.

*edit* I'll consider my life run by an animal when I'm out at 2 am in the rain taking it for a walk, sleepy and miserable, picking up its poop in a little plastic baggy =). That's what I call whipped.

my dog poops in a central, easy to clean location (puppy pad trained). my dog doesn't drool on my funiture...or ever for that matter. my dog doesn't eat my shoes. my dog doesn't jump on company, although he's alot more friendly than my (dead) cat ever was. my dog doesn't annoy my neighbors barking at "ghosts" (however my neighbors dogs do at 3:00 AM) -- in fact, most of the neighbors who have met my tiny dog have asked to babysit him or have playdates with him. my dog doesn't track in mud... nor does he track cat litter residue all over my carpet. my dog doesn't need a babysitter when i go on vacation (he goes with me... or he stays home with my mom since we live together). my dog doesn't whine when I leave the house to go to work (according to my mother) -- but he sure is SUPER excited to see me when I get home, unlike my (dead) cat who was the most stuck-up thing ever. my dog doesn't rush through the house knocking over ANY objects (precious or otherwise). my dog doesn't try to break through windows to eat mailmen either (my dad is a mailman, and my dog happens to love him - in AND out of uniform). i get your point. do you get mine?

you SHOULD consider your life run by an animal when you're out at 2 am in the rain taking it for a walk sleepy and miserable -- actually, you should just consider yourself mentally insane at that point. you know what I would call whipped...?! raking through a cat's sandbox to clean it's turds... and eventually dumping said sandbox out and starting all over again.

You know what else my dog doesn't do...? leave little turd-bombs in my neighbors backyard while he's roaming the earth in search of an adventure... in fact, he doesn't bury his turds in the kid's sandbox next door either. He also doesn't wander through my neighbors yards or bushes unwelcomed. In addition, he doesn't kill other animals and leave their remains all over the place... like the cat that left a bed of feathers on my front lawn yesterday.

peace.

I'm sorry... if you really wanted to defend your love of dogs, then why did you enter a cat thread?

Personally, I have both cat and dogs (3). The cat is far less work. I prefer the cat!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    My chunkster kitteh is blind as a bat. If he can find the tree, it's a good day indeed.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Plastic or unbreakable ornament on the bottom half of the tree. Secure your tree to something. My cats have taken the trees down many times. We now tie one to the staircase (9ft artificial) and one to the wall) with fishing line. You can't see it and its stong enough to keep the tree from falling over. The animals LOVE Christmas. Nature comes inside to them. :-)
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member

peace.

Sorry, my cat's are indoor cats. So no depositing in the neighbors yards. I scoop their poop just as I assume you clean your back yard. Unless you keep a poo pit in which case I do feel sorry for your neighbors. You said you have a poo pad though right? That's so much better than my convenient covered little box. I'm sure you enjoy walking into a little turd plate with absolutely no smell shield. That's a lovely little gift ever day =). I keep a track mat under my litter box so my cats don't really track anywhere and if they did, my house is tile and swept daily. I'm a bit of a neat freak lol. It's great that you take your dog with you on vacations. I'm sure your hotel "neighbors" love that. Just what other vacationers want, a pet roommate when they left theirs at home like sane people. My cats are actually quite friendly, but they also know when to leave you alone and don't beg for attention. Not all pets are the same of course, I was just making a point about the dogs I'm familiar with.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member

Get rid of the cat.
    Get rid of the tree.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member

peace.

I'm sorry... if you really wanted to defend your love of dogs, then why did you enter a cat thread?

Personally, I have both cat and dogs (3). The cat is far less work. I prefer the cat!

QFT. I love dogs and cats, but my cats are less work. They also don't stink hehe.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jack1925
    jack1925 Posts: 186 Member
    I have 3 cats. 2 who are 7 years old and 1 who is 2.5 years old. The 2 older ones just sit under it and sleep. The kitren however, not so much. He doesnt climb the tree, he tries to eat the tree. 2 years ago i had to take the tree down 1 week BEFORE Christmas because he had eaten so much of it that it made him sick and i had to take him to the vet. Then last year i thought i would put it up, but not decorate it u.til i knew that he would leave it alone. No such luck. So ivprayed the branches with bitter spray but it didnt phase him. Then vinegar. No go. Then i wiped some of the branches down with hot sauce.... didnt keep him away... tree had to come down.... going to try it again this year.... hoping i wont go 3 years without a Christmas tree!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member

Get rid of the cat.
    Get rid of the tree.

awe here's a lil Christmas cheer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIN3PpPS7iKx8WLUPcXXdcRcEorjn-Drd64kkbZwYLnQwLeAZJ
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Definitely not putting expensive ornaments on, and leaving the bottom empty.

My older cat was easy, she just loves to sit under the tree, always has. Presents are another story. She likes to unwrap them, lol!

This is my cat...also a Maine Coon. He loves to lay under the tree and will bat at any low hanging ornaments. He also loves to push, walk and destroy any presents I try to put under the tree...he thinks it's his domain and nothing should be in his place!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    and because
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQf3YP8cPDpUAozfDfmRTLj1h2gfFoncDP3q1TZ5eYYoVk4GkY

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9Q5RjNiWQyDdd4va6hGyBuwxYijxLr87Hyev306vS8Wezg4gz
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member

peace.

QFT. I love dogs and cats, but my cats are less work. They also don't stink hehe.

I have both...there are pros and cons to each of them...my cat greats me with as much excitement as my dog does when I come home. It's hilarious!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member

peace.

I have both...there are pros and cons to each of them...my cat greats me with as much excitement as my dog does when I come home. It's hilarious!
    Pet owner. You're doing it right. :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    I gave up a long time ago. Instead, we got one of these:

41H1grJsxML.jpg
    http://www.fathead.com/general-graphics/christmas/christmas-tree/

not the classiest thing, but neither is a room full of broken ornaments and an F'd up tree.
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    This is one of the main reasons I dislike cats. I was sleeping over a friend's house a couple years ago around Xmas time. I was sleeping on the sofa when I was awakened by a horrible sound. When I investigated I found her kitten (he was about adolescent so not a BABY) tangled up in the lights. They were wrapped around his neck. I saved him, but not without the consequences of being scratched all over my arms. Cats suck. Get him a puppy :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

peace.

Mine too. When I come home from work, my cat is always at the door waiting for me. I'll be lucky if the kids even look up. So one day, I came home and said very loudly "Hello Fluffy!" The kids were like "Hello Fluffy? What about us?" I asked them when was the last time they met me at the door when I came home. LOL!
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Don't put decorations at the bottom of the tree...also, you can spray this stuff that keeps cats away ( I forgot what it's called but a pet store would have it) and spray kitty with water every time it's being bad lol

It's been working for my cat..she usually sleeps under the tree like a furry gift because it's warm..and I've had her since she's was a kitten...there's hope! Lol :)
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member

peace.

me too! my kitties are my little buddies. they always greet me when i get home.

they also often follow me around the house and love to hang out with me when i go workout in my little homemade gym in the basement. my cats are awesome.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    We don't celebrate Christmas so I Have yet to have this problem. Walmart sells this product called "scratch not" for a reasonable price. Spray it around the tree and on the tree daily and the cat will learn to stay away.