Lifters: how often?

Options
2»

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information- I knew I would get terrific responses here!

I am definitely NOT doing my own planning, because I know enough to know that I am a total beginner.
    I have seen the incredible results people have had through lifting- and I'm inspired!

I also have some sort of rotator cuff impingement going on, so I am headed to the PT in a couple weeks to see where I stand on that and what that means for my lifting plans!!! Ugh.

Edited to add that I won't have the money until the 1st of the year to hire a trainer...:(

I will probably have to drop some cardio- but I really like it- the running and the Zumba. I could cut the Zumba to once per week and running to twice I guess. Never though I would be agonizing over CUTTING exercise time!!! :)

Trainers can be great, and we have some that contribute on these forums with great info. That said, you do not need a trainer to get started with all of this. The Stronglifts routine has videos on the site that teach you the movements and how to perform them correctly, and that should be enough. Just do some research.

Other great resources for form videos on YouTube are "So you think you can squat", "so you think you can bench", "so you think you can deadlift" and the channel "CanditoTrainingHQ".

If you want to keep it simple, you can pick up a copy of "Starting Strength". Great book with all the detail you need on the various movements.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do 3x a week (I am new so using NROL4W) and I love it. I do mine at home since I don't like gyms. :) I don't do any cardio (yay!! :bigsmile: )
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I was doing 3 full body days per week but I've switched it now to 6 times a week split workouts with about 20 mins of cardio before.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My question is, how many days a week for my goals? And how may days a week do you lift?

How often i lift is irrelevant, because we have different goals, abilities, and levels of training experience. But yes, you could reach your goals lifting 2 or 3 times a week with a full-body workout. Almost any full-body program will build "lean muscle" (which i translate to "some muscle, but not get huge"). Personally i'd go with New Rules of Lifting for Life. Compared to SS & Stronglifts, it trains a greater diversity of movement skills.. which is important... especially as we age.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    NROL4W 3x a week - and a group fitness class 2 times a week. Quick and effective.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I do 3x a week with a personal trainer, Day 1 Upper, Day 2 Lower, Day 3 is for lifts that engage multiple muscle groups. (Deadlifts, Cleans, etc)

In between those days I have a "rest day" of 1-1.5 hrs of cardio, and I do a 15-20 minute cardio warmup and a 30 minute cardio chaser for my lifting days.