A serious question about humour

Options
124»

Replies

• PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When you ask a woman what she looks for in a man, a large percentage of them include "sense of humour" in their list. Often times it's at the top of the list, along with confidence, intelligence, looks, strength, and maybe a few others. Now, from an evolutionary standpoint I understand why women would be attracted to those other personality traits. They all, in some way or another, either offer security ( confidence, intelligence, strength) or is a sign of health (looks, strength, etc), thereby increasing the odds of propagating the species and carrying on their lineage. But what does humour bring to the table, other than the occasional laugh and smile. Why is it such an attractive trait. To women specifically, as I would posit that, although still attractive, it is not as high on a list of desirable qualities that men look for in a mate?
    Any theories? If there are any sociologists on the boards I would especially be interested in hearing your opinions.

Because evolution has surprisingly little to do with what people find attractive, human sexuality, surprisingly enough, doesn't revolve around passing down the best genes, despite how much weirdos seem to think that's entirely how it works. I have no idea, women like men with a sense of humor because they like to laugh, laughing is fun, and people like to have fun. A guy who is funny is someone who can be an entertaining presence by just being there. That's why, simple as that, people also want to be with people who will be enjoyable to be around, and that isn't something necessary for your bizarre evolutionary viewpoint either.

A tip: Stop looking at everything with the bizarre out of touch biotruths lense and start looking at it from a sociological perspective, because you know, the latter is kind of the actual study of how people interact.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Because laughing elicits pleasurable sensations and most human beings are pleasure junkies?
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people want someone to make them laugh. And why not? Can't stand for things to be serious all of the time. For me, it's more about him getting MY sense of humor.....instead of getting the deer in headlights.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to call bullshlt. Sure, everybody loves a sense of humor and a lot of other traits that are not visibly apparent, but that's not what gets you the first date. Women are attracted to whatever their definition of physical atractiveness is. Men are the same way.

Nope. Not everyone is completely driven by physical attraction.

Agreed. Have you heard of Ryan Lochte? Gorgeous, but as soon as he speaks it's just... tragic. Physical attractiveness can only take you so far.

To the OP who is using evolution as a means to explain intelligence, looks, etc... I would think humor would sort of be categorized under intelligence. How many truly dumb people out there are also funny? ...and I don't mean uneducated or ill informed... I mean - dumb (well unless it's the: "I'm laughing at you and not with you" type of funny). So intelligence --> Security... meh. Might be a stretch, but that's sort of how I would try to explain it from a "scientific" point of view.

Psst....Dumb means you can't speak. Stupid is probably the word you are looking for.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

A tip: Stop looking at everything with the bizarre out of touch biotruths lense and start looking at it from a sociological perspective, because you know, the latter is kind of the actual study of how people interact.

My daughter graduated with a degree in sociology. She doesn't want to be a social worker, though.

Cultural Anthropology.....now your talking about comparing different behavior patterns of different peoples.

Neurology, psychiatry (medical science based), psychology (is Freud still ruling this roost?), sociology, cultural anthropology.
    Take your pick, they all deal with human behavior (eating is a behavior). Ooops....forgot religion....it deals in human behavior.

Are you saying that sociology is the only valid perspective from which to study human behavior?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Because laughing elicits pleasurable sensations and most human beings are pleasure junkies?

you know what i think you hit the nail on the head are laughter and pleasure somewhere close on the brain...does it all come down to sexay time once again?

Does the funny bone have a relationship to the giggity bone? I mean who doesnt think John Cleese or Bill Maury are the perfect adonis?
  • PeaceHappinessBalance
    Options
    Laughing releases dopamine and endorphins, so it makes people happy. It's fun and a lot of other perks can diminish over time, like money and looks.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    When you ask a woman what she looks for in a man, a large percentage of them include "sense of humour" in their list. Often times it's at the top of the list, along with confidence, intelligence, looks, strength, and maybe a few others. Now, from an evolutionary standpoint I understand why women would be attracted to those other personality traits. They all, in some way or another, either offer security ( confidence, intelligence, strength) or is a sign of health (looks, strength, etc), thereby increasing the odds of propagating the species and carrying on their lineage. But what does humour bring to the table, other than the occasional laugh and smile. Why is it such an attractive trait. To women specifically, as I would posit that, although still attractive, it is not as high on a list of desirable qualities that men look for in a mate?
    Any theories? If there are any sociologists on the boards I would especially be interested in hearing your opinions.

Because evolution has surprisingly little to do with what people find attractive, human sexuality, surprisingly enough, doesn't revolve around passing down the best genes, despite how much weirdos seem to think that's entirely how it works. I have no idea, women like men with a sense of humor because they like to laugh, laughing is fun, and people like to have fun. A guy who is funny is someone who can be an entertaining presence by just being there. That's why, simple as that, people also want to be with people who will be enjoyable to be around, and that isn't something necessary for your bizarre evolutionary viewpoint either.

Attraction is the driving force behind the continuation of the species. Without it, we would die off. Why certain traits that drive this attraction, in particular humor, now, and from an evolutionary standpoint, are/ have been predominant, was my question, I don't claim to know the answers, I simply posited a theory. While it may be incorrect (debatable), it is hardly bizarre. Admittedly, you don't have the answers either.

Tip: Resorting to condescension and name calling during a discussion doesn't make your statement any more valid. It only serves to cast your character, or lack thereof, in a less than favorable light.