Someone explain why we shouldn't eat legumes

Options

Replies

• smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't eat Paleo but I did watch a lecture about it on YouTube... it was by the author of The Paleo Manifesto.

He said that we should not eat legumes because they are the seeds of the plant. Why not eat the seeds you ask? Because according to him and other paleo peeps, seeds of plants contain toxins to ward off animals from eating them. By eating these seeds with trace amounts of toxins overtime you build them up in your system.

He gave some examples of seeds that humans have modified through agriculture and plant breeding or something, to make them not toxic to humans anymore. I think one example he gave was cucumber, if I remember correctly.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    That is interesting, because I cannot understand the reasoning behind cutting out grains or dairy.

This!!!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    That is interesting, because I cannot understand the reasoning behind cutting out grains or dairy.

This!!!

I could say the same about meat.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I don't eat Paleo but I did watch a lecture about it on YouTube... it was by the author of The Paleo Manifesto.

He said that we should not eat legumes because they are the seeds of the plant. Why not eat the seeds you ask? Because according to him and other paleo peeps, seeds of plants contain toxins to ward off animals from eating them. By eating these seeds with trace amounts of toxins overtime you build them up in your system.

He gave some examples of seeds that humans have modified through agriculture and plant breeding or something, to make them not toxic to humans anymore. I think one example he gave was cucumber, if I remember correctly.

pounds head on desk, just rhetorical question not directed at you, then why did plants evolve seeds to be passed through the gut? Hasnt he ever wondered what those little black and brown seed looking things were 3 days after eating watermelon and corn?

If this was true then how come little civets do quite well eating coffee beans? Chimpanzees plant whole forests after a fruit and vegetable buffet. Just wow just wow and there is no talking common sense. Guess that thing we call a liver is useless.

I'd even go as far as to say that after tubers or first real source of starches was from legumes.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I love beans added to soups,salads or as a side dish.

Can't believe any food plan would ban them.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Hence the farting issue - beans contain lectins - an acid that for some folks is nearly impossible to digest properly. You shouldn't bloat up or fart or become constipated or suffer the runs because of the food you eat. If you do, then it is quite likely you have a sensitivity to that food. Personally, I can eat lentils, but most beans and peanuts (which are NOT nuts) KILL ME! Why eat something that makes me hurt when there are other things just as good tasting.

If you can eat beans and legumes with no physical side effects, then IIFYM eat it - if you bloat and ache afterward, maybe try something else!
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options

The very first line of that makes me rage:

"Recently my boyfriend has been straying from his normal Paleo ways because he feels that grain-laden cookies are more important than his overall health and longevity"

WHAT. I only read part of that stupid article before I started blacking out from stupid and had to stop. If it came to a choice between living forever but never enjoying a "grain-laden cookie" again and dying a little sooner but full of cookies, guess what I'd choose.

I grew up fairly poor. My Mom fed us lots of beans, whole grains, and peanut butter. Why? Because they are cheap, filling, and nutritious. There is no reason why one shouldn't eat legumes, or whole grains, or cookies, or dairy, or eggs, or....., whatever, food allergies notwithstanding.*

* I mean actual food allergies/sensitivities, not " I read on the internet that this is bad, I must be intolerant to it because I've been eating it all my life and that's clearly what's made me fat!"

CORRECT!! there is a difference between a particular food making you FART and making you FAT!

One is what food does to you the other is what you do to yourself. :laugh:
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm in for further reading!
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

pounds head on desk, just rhetorical question not directed at you, then why did plants evolve seeds to be passed through the gut? Hasnt he ever wondered what those little black and brown seed looking things were 3 days after eating watermelon and corn?

If this was true then how come little civets do quite well eating coffee beans? Chimpanzees plant whole forests after a fruit and vegetable buffet. Just wow just wow and there is no talking common sense. Guess that thing we call a liver is useless.

I'd even go as far as to say that after tubers or first real source of starches was from legumes.

I'm just repeating what he said...

I think people can eat however they want. Some people thrive on restrictive diets while other do not. I personally enjoy a good legume here and there and will not be cutting them out of my diet any time soon.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I know you guys love demonising paleo but there's a lot of good in it. Its pretty much just about stripping your diet back to basics, and then once your body has gotten rid of all the crap, reintroducing different food groups to see how/if they affect your body.

So with legumes? if you don't have bad reactions to them, then eat them. If you feel a lot better without them, don't eat them. I eat paleo but I have hummus sometimes, snowpeas with dinner etc. Nobody says you can't, because you're meant to eat about 70-80% pure paleo.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    Paleo diet isn't for everyone, they tell you what you should and shouldn't eat, but they forget to mention their very own "re-feed" day, where they'll usually "cheat" or pig-out high amounts of complex carbs to sustain them till the next week where they can have a cheat day again.
    um..................... what?

Sorry, made it very confusing. Re-reading it, my take was toward people wanting the build muscle. Most lean bodybuilders in-take less foods with high fibers (vegetables or legumes) and take multi-vitamins in replace for those mineral needs. Most legumes contains in-digestible carbohydrate, most people who depend on legumes for a low carb diet, or even to the extreme of paleo will most likely lose their muscle gains unless they re-feed or "cheat" by loading carbohydrate. I'm tying this all together because most people who do not eat legumes, also do not eat carbs because they follow this Paleo diet.

I'm going really off topic, but yes, hope I clarified it, good luck.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I know you guys love demonizing paleo...

It's not being demonized, it's being mocked. And rightfully so - it is the most illogical, inconsistent dietic nonsense I've heard in donkey's years.

There is a difference. :laugh:
  • saraswatikibit
    Options
    Paleo. Schmaleo. Our bodies have evolved. So why should we eat what our ancestors ate!?
  • kordell70
    kordell70 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know you guys love demonizing paleo...

It's not being demonized, it's being mocked. And rightfully so - it is the most illogical, inconsistent dietic nonsense I've heard in donkey's years.

There is a difference. :laugh:

Jesus. The original poster has a legitimate question for which she is seeking answers and instead of answering the question in a logical manner you continue with the mocking and or denigration of this diet without specifically answering her question. Seems like while your opinion of the diet is that it is "illogical" you answer is also "illogical" in that it is not answering the woman's question.

To those who reached out to this lady and gave your opinions, whether for or against it, in a way that at least attempted to answer her question then I also thank you on behalf of this woman. For those of you who get your kicks out of being rather immature with your internet tough guy routine then I suggest you try being a bit more mature. Not everyone has all of the answers on what to do to help them lose weight which is the reason why many join this site.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I know you guys love demonising paleo but there's a lot of good in it. Its pretty much just about stripping your diet back to basics, and then once your body has gotten rid of all the crap, reintroducing different food groups to see how/if they affect your body.

So with legumes? if you don't have bad reactions to them, then eat them. If you feel a lot better without them, don't eat them. I eat paleo but I have hummus sometimes, snowpeas with dinner etc. Nobody says you can't, because you're meant to eat about 70-80% pure paleo.

"I eat paleo except for when I don't."

Paleo isn't "just about" eliminating foods from your diet and then slowly adding them back to see what happens. That's not paleo. That's not paleo at all. Paleo means "don't eat grains and legumes because they are inherently bad for you, period."
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Paleo is rightly mocked. It's arbitrary, unscientific, and ridiculous.
    Hence , the ridicule.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Paleo is rightly mocked. It's arbitrary, unscientific, and ridiculous.
    Hence , the ridicule.

x2
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Sounds like a "Balanced Diet" not a "Paleo Diet" to me.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

"I eat paleo except for when I don't."

Paleo isn't "just about" eliminating foods from your diet and then slowly adding them back to see what happens. That's not paleo. That's not paleo at all. Paleo means "don't eat grains and legumes because they are inherently bad for you, period."

That sounds more like Whole 30....which is what a friend of mine is doing. He described it as a "detox" diet. I looked into it...but in all honesty, I am not into cooking and eliminating things that I enjoy is not high on my "to do" list.