Winter = Eat More?

Options
Hey there!!

It is currently -30 C (-22 F) where I live and I am constantly cold (even with tons of layers on.... you can only wear so many layers before you can't bend) and I am hungry all the time! I have heard that your body burns more calories in the winter to keep warm... so I am wondering... have any of you upped your calorie intake for the winter??

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yeah- it's called bulking.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes the more fat layers you wear the warmer you will be.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    yeah- it's called bulking.
    This....
    Yes the more fat layers you wear the warmer you will be.
    ...and this.

Your body burns a couple more calories when extremely cold to maintain body temperature, but it's not really anything that would be measurable. Maybe an extra 10 calories a day? Unless you're standing outside naked, then it might go into overdrive, but at that temperature you'd be dead in about 2 minutes anyway.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I just add more layers of clothing. They will be coming off in the spring so I keep eating at the same deficit but add lots of no calorie hot tea.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I just add more layers of clothing. They will be coming off in the spring so I keep eating at the same deficit but add lots of no calorie hot tea.

I like this tea idea! Thank you.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!

It is currently -30 C (-22 F) where I live and I am constantly cold (even with tons of layers on.... you can only wear so many layers before you can't bend) and I am hungry all the time! I have heard that your body burns more calories in the winter to keep warm... so I am wondering... have any of you upped your calorie intake for the winter??

I am like you, really feel the cold in winter. What I would suggest is to make yourself a big pot soup to keep in the fridge - onions, carrots, turnips, sweet potato, okra, spinach, squash or pumpkin (and other vegetables of your choice) and for protein use meat or chicken - as a non neater eater, I use fish. I find this helps to curb my appetite, otherwise I would be eating all the time. I some times have the soup for breakfast.
  • nytrifisoul
    Options
    Hey there!!

I am like you, really feel the cold in winter. What I would suggest is to make yourself a big pot soup to keep in the fridge - onions, carrots, turnips, sweet potato, okra, spinach, squash or pumpkin (and other vegetables of your choice) and for protein use meat or chicken - as a non neater eater, I use fish. I find this helps to curb my appetite, otherwise I would be eating all the time. I some times have the soup for breakfast.

yes food like soup will curb your appetite just like any food will. also if your eating said soup all the time, you are technically still eating all the time.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising more. Really vigorous exercise warms me up nicely for a while. Really WANT to eat more but I'm on a pretty slim deficit right now as is.
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't eat more, I just eat differently. Now is the time to enjoy healthy comfort foods like soups, potatoes, chilli, stews, and whatever else you might enjoy. I also sip on hot water throughout the day instead of cold water.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of eating more because of being cold. Your body may burn a few more calories, but I don't think it's any excuse to eat more.
  • MorganBody
    Options
    Unless you are a bear, 10/10 do not recommend.lol

With that said,just try to eat warmer foods & drink tons of tea.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    IIRC we actually burn fewer calories in winter due to being overall less active, and also the cold is offset by more insulinating layers so that is a wash.

i read that somewhere and it stuck, so I'm sure it's true.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    IIRC we actually burn fewer calories in winter due to being overall less active, and also the cold is offset by more insulinating layers so that is a wash.

i read that somewhere and it stuck, so I'm sure it's true.

The first part may be true, but we burn more calories in the cold due to the shiver reflex.
  • _John_
    Options
    I think the point of what I was making up is that our bodies are not really that "cold" due to us wearing more clothers. Now sure, if we go streaking in the cold we're going to burn more calories in a cold environment than a more comfortable tempature to be naked.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I think the point of what I was making up is that our bodies are not really that "cold" due to us wearing more clothers. Now sure, if we go streaking in the cold we're going to burn more calories in a cold environment than a more comfortable tempature to be naked.

So to lose weight I need to be naked more? In.
  • _John_
    Options
    as long as you don't count losing appendages as weight loss....
  • garbagedog
    Options
    To keep warm at work during the winter, I pedal on an under-desk mini-bike. It's the best space heater I've ever invested in!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!

yes food like soup will curb your appetite just like any food will. also if your eating said soup all the time, you are technically still eating all the time.

That is true, but for me I find eating something hot like soup helps keep me full longer, thus eating less and keep me warm at the same time. I have to do what works for me to stop the winter weight, nothing else works

This also depends on how the soup is made. It is going to be high in sodium and fat? I can eat three bowls of my soup per day and still be within my calories.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry all the time, it may be time to re-assess your calorie goals and what you're eating.

Not sure how much you have to lose so here's a good guide for setting the weekly weight loss goal:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

As far as what you're eating, generally lean protein and healthy fats and fiber will keep you full longer. Again, no idea what your'e eating as your profile and diary are private so hard to give specific advice. If you're exercising, make sure you eat back at least half of earned calories.

I also find exercising keeps me warmer. Since I've lost most of my excess fat, I've had a harder time acclimating when the cold weather hits but if I get up and move around more, I tend to be much warmer.
  • nytrifisoul
    Options

That is true, but for me I find eating something hot like soup helps keep me full longer, thus eating less and keep me warm at the same time. I have to do what works for me to stop the winter weight, nothing else works

This also depends on how the soup is made. It is going to be high in sodium and fat? I can eat three bowls of my soup per day and still be within my calories.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure you were aware there is no such thing as a negative calorie foods. Too many wack jobs posting about these calorie free/weight loss soups.