Winter = Eat More?

Options
2»

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold now.. i wear 2 jackets and sweater and I drink tea and coffee and wear thermals and heavy socks... My co workers laugh at me cause i wear a jacket at my desk all day long.

I don't care.. i'm warm. that's all i want.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Always freezing these days! The only difference to my intake is that my milk consumption has gone up by about 1/2 a cup a day because of all of the good old english breakfast tea that I've been drinking to keep warm. All the more protein I guess!

As much as I would love to do it like a bear i.e. eat 10000 calories a day for three weeks and then sleep for six months, I don't think we're built for that....although it would be awesome!
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes the more fat layers you wear the warmer you will be.

this
  • FarTooJones
    Options
    I've learned my indoor bike is a good way to warm up when its cold out instead of cranking the heat. My problem will be staying away from the homemade hot cocoa mix.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You don't burn significantly more calories just because it's winter and cold out...it's pretty irrelevant. That said, if you're hungry all of the time then you may need to reassess your intake..perhaps your deficit is too aggressive, especially if you've already lost weight.

Otherwise I'd just say that the colder air, cloudy conditions, dark, dark, dark...well, that all just makes you kinda want to sit around eating comfort food...which often tends to be calorie dense...and of course, many people lose motivation to workout as well. So it might not really be hunger...just wanting that comfort food you've grown accustomed to.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm hungrier and crave heartier foods in the fall/winter. I don't think it has anything to do with my body burning more calories, since I'm indoors in a well-heated room 99.9% of the time. I have no idea if there's some biological reasoning behind it or if it's more psychological, but I've upped my calories by 150, either way.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    yeah- it's called bulking.
    This....
    Yes the more fat layers you wear the warmer you will be.
    ...and this.

Your body burns a couple more calories when extremely cold to maintain body temperature, but it's not really anything that would be measurable. Maybe an extra 10 calories a day? Unless you're standing outside naked, then it might go into overdrive, but at that temperature you'd be dead in about 2 minutes anyway.

:laugh:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    For me, abs-o-freakin-lutely. My body starts craving comfort foods and sweets like you wouldn't believe. Wife calls me the winter bear looking to fatten up for hibernation.

I usually gain 5-10 pounds in the month and a half between Turkey Day and Xmas.
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i want to eat more in the winter too... and it def makes it hard not to when there are so many holidays in the way.
    However, ive learned to just switch my foods. more soups!!!!
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!

It is currently -30 C (-22 F) where I live and I am constantly cold (even with tons of layers on.... you can only wear so many layers before you can't bend) and I am hungry all the time! I have heard that your body burns more calories in the winter to keep warm... so I am wondering... have any of you upped your calorie intake for the winter??

I am like you, really feel the cold in winter. What I would suggest is to make yourself a big pot soup to keep in the fridge - onions, carrots, turnips, sweet potato, okra, spinach, squash or pumpkin (and other vegetables of your choice) and for protein use meat or chicken - as a non neater eater, I use fish. I find this helps to curb my appetite, otherwise I would be eating all the time. I some times have the soup for breakfast.

Thanks!!! I really like this idea. I actually heard that people who eat lots of low calorie soups stay full longer because your body cannot get rid of the liquid as fast as it can when you eat solid food. I will have to make myself a big pot of stew this weekend and freeze a bunch.
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    To keep warm at work during the winter, I pedal on an under-desk mini-bike. It's the best space heater I've ever invested in!

I have heard of these!!! I will have to invest in one! or use it is a weight loss goal reward... thanks!!!
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    For me, abs-o-freakin-lutely. My body starts craving comfort foods and sweets like you wouldn't believe. Wife calls me the winter bear looking to fatten up for hibernation.

I usually gain 5-10 pounds in the month and a half between Turkey Day and Xmas.

My man is the same way!
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    Always freezing these days! The only difference to my intake is that my milk consumption has gone up by about 1/2 a cup a day because of all of the good old english breakfast tea that I've been drinking to keep warm. All the more protein I guess!

As much as I would love to do it like a bear i.e. eat 10000 calories a day for three weeks and then sleep for six months, I don't think we're built for that....although it would be awesome!

I agree!! Lol
  • sonytomtp
    sonytomtp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of bulking up for the winter, but to respond to the OP directly - to stay warm I usually get more active at home or go for more walks outside. This means I have more calories to eat away at. :tongue:
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's a balmy -14C here, before the delightful windchill :frown:

Once this time of year kicks in, I live on a lot of soups, stews, roasts, casseroles and crock pot dishes. Anything that generates extra heat in the house is always a bonus.

I'm outside when I need to be, and not anymore than I have to. When it starts to get to -40 (again before windchill), it really does take your breath away - quite litterally. I'll take my exercise without the frostbite, thanks.
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    It's a balmy -14C here, before the delightful windchill :frown:

Once this time of year kicks in, I live on a lot of soups, stews, roasts, casseroles and crock pot dishes. Anything that generates extra heat in the house is always a bonus.

I'm outside when I need to be, and not anymore than I have to. When it starts to get to -40 (again before windchill), it really does take your breath away - quite litterally. I'll take my exercise without the frostbite, thanks.

I know that feeling!!! Are you in Northern Canada also?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I snow shoe all winter, cold here too
    I love the great outdoors, we are lucky to live in it!
    I do not really eat more,, maybe comfort food like chili and what not
    but I tend to exercise more/
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if there's some biological reasoning behind it or if it's more psychological,

I'm thinking there are some pretty solid biological reasons for it. Put your ‘Caveperson Hat” On and think about this. In winter there is less vegetation to eat, and less game to hunt. Winter was a time when food sources normally get scarce. Our bodies are primed to be living 15,000 years ago still think this way. We sub-consciously still think we need to fatten up in order to have a better chance to survive the winter. Along those same lines; fat helps insulate us and keep us warm.

Problem is, if you can read this internet site. These aren’t issues you have to worry about anymore. So it does take a little bit of self control. But I think it fully explains why during the fall and winter we like to eat more, eat more calorie dense foods. Where as in the spring and summer it’s more about light foods, and less calorie dense foods.