Clean Eating Clarification

Options
Hello! A friend and I have decided to give Clean Eating (or maybe I should say "Fresh" Eating) a try for 30 days. I am on Day 5 and so far I think I have been doing pretty good. I have not eaten anything from a box or bag! Lots of fresh fruit and veggies and all my meat I have purchased at our local butcher. I am not eating all organic (please don't judge me on that. I still believe fresh is still a good option). My confusion is on diary. I thought I had to buy whole fat cheese since that's the most natural but a lot of sites on Clean Eating show nonfat diary or reduced fat dairy? So which should I be eating?? Also I saw another site that recommened eating strawberries with Cool Whip? I thought Cool Whip was processed? I also need guidance on bread. I know it needs to be Whole Wheat. Anything else I need to look for? Any tips on what to look for or stay away from would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In, to also receive clarification.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy from grass fed/grass finished cows and preferably unpasteurized/raw is the best. As far as breads go, if you are going to eat them, then look for a sourdough or sprouted as they will be easiest to digest. And absolutely non-GMO!!

Good for you deciding to do this for your body!!! You will feel amazing at the end of the month :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you will ever find a clear line on what is clean and what isn't. It seems to vary wildly between each clean eater.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    IN to learn the definition of subjective matters.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Anyone who judges you on not eating all organic is someone whose judgements you should ignore.

Typically people who espouse "clean" eating are talking about preservatives.

Non-fat/reduced fat, etc . . . it's not really part of "clean". I mean, let's be honest, cheese is cultured; that's not fresh.

But arbitrarily cutting out food items won't help you be healthier either.

There is no universal definition of clean eating. There is no (authoritative) handbook that says whole wheat bread = good and wheat/white bread = bad.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    Full fat dairy from grass fed/grass finished cows and preferably unpasteurized/raw is the best. As far as breads go, if you are going to eat them, then look for a sourdough or sprouted as they will be easiest to digest. And absolutely non-GMO!!

Good for you deciding to do this for your body!!! You will feel amazing at the end of the month :)

Unpasteurized?????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization

No.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Ditto.

Normally I'd suggest using the forum search bar, but seeing as there's a million different definitions floating around, I think that would only confuse the OP.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Unpasteurized?! Do you milk a cow in your backyard?

ETA: As a person working in agriculture, you would be hard-pressed to find anything truly GMO-free. And I mean anything.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The only rule you have to follow is: anything you eat must have come from something that has been given a name, and you have to know that name.

If you know the name the of the cow that produced the milk/cheese product, you're good to go.

Vegetables are, of course, difficult. Because it takes a truly caring and attentive grower. But if it ain't difficult, it ain't worth it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    fEINngg.gif
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    The only rule you have to follow is: anything you eat must have come from something that has been given a name, and you have to know that name.

If you know the name the of the cow that produced the milk/cheese product, you're good to go.

Vegetables are, of course, difficult. Because it takes a truly caring and attentive grower. But if it ain't difficult, it ain't worth it.

lol

"I call this garden delila, and I eat her fruit."
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    fEINngg.gif

Is that clean?
    And OP: Sorry, i have no useful information to give :flowerforyou:
  • Lizzard_77
    Options

Unpasteurized?! Do you milk a cow in your backyard?

Nope, there is a farm down the street from me where I buy my raw milk and grass fed/finished and pastured meats and cheeses. Raw milk, when purchased from a reputable source is full of fabulous enzymes that aid with digestion and inflammation. Many people who cannot digest pasteurized milk can digest raw milk. It may not be for every one but I believe in it and was simply responding with my feelings on "clean eating". As was mentioned, their are many definitions of that :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Been trying to get clarification for over a year now...I mean apparently it's not good enough for me to meet all of my nutritional needs...if I eat something that comes in a package I'm a filthy individual and will surely die soon. I love how my preferred marinara sauce from Costco...

IMG_0670.jpg

that consists of Italian plum tomatoes, olive oil, basil, and onions is somehow filthy...but if I were to buy all of those ingredients separately and throw them into a pot in my kitchen, it's magically "clean"

Give me a break with the clean crap. Eat a balanced diet rich in nutrient dense foods including fruit and veg, lean proteins, healthy fats, and whole grains...and have some ice cream for desert with jelly beans on top and live a little...
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

clarify-little-fuzzy.jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    interesting.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

lol

lol'd IRL
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

lol

I put some of my home grown chard and kale in my scramble this morning. Wept the entire time. Oh Steve, Jeremy, Daphne...I'm so sorry!!!

Dawson_Crying.gif
  • Lizzard_77
    Options
    Been trying to get clarification for over a year now...I mean apparently it's not good enough for me to meat all of my nutritional needs...if I eat something that comes in a package I'm a filthy individual and will surely die soon. I love how my preferred marinara sauce from Costco...

I am sorry you had that experience with folks! I think the point is to avoid processed foods such as HFCS, margarine, etc., ie "fake foods" I see it as a return to food food, not fast food or chemically derived "food" I think your pasta sauce looks lovely :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Unpasteurized?????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization

No.

Unpasteurized dairy is actually pretty awesome. I miss it, since my uncle no longer has his dairy farm.