Clean Eating Clarification

Options

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The only rule you have to follow is: anything you eat must have come from something that has been given a name, and you have to know that name.

If you know the name the of the cow that produced the milk/cheese product, you're good to go.

Vegetables are, of course, difficult. Because it takes a truly caring and attentive grower. But if it ain't difficult, it ain't worth it.

lol

"I call this garden delila, and I eat her fruit."

I put some of my home grown chard and kale in my scramble this morning. Wept the entire time. Oh Steve, Jeremy, Daphne...I'm so sorry!!!

Dawson_Crying.gif

this is the funniest thing i have read all day...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    OP, is a challenge this confusing really worth it? I don't know what I would do if I had to skip Thanksgiving dinner.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Been trying to get clarification for over a year now...I mean apparently it's not good enough for me to meat all of my nutritional needs...if I eat something that comes in a package I'm a filthy individual and will surely die soon. I love how my preferred marinara sauce from Costco...

I am sorry you had that experience with folks! I think the point is to avoid processed foods such as HFCS, margarine, etc., ie "fake foods" I see it as a return to food food, not fast food or chemically derived "food" I think your pasta sauce looks lovely :)

But what really makes a food fake? Half the fruits in the produce section are hybrids of other fruits. The trees that grow oranges in Texas and Florida are grown from certified budwood, not seed. If people really knew what went into their food, organic or otherwise, they'd be shocked.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    On milk...

It is unlawful to sell unpasteurized milk in the United States. Other countries do not always have such restrictions. This gives you slightly better access to "cleaner" milk, but increases your risk of disease. There are several localized dairies around the U.S. that will sell you low-pasteurized milk, that satisfies the legal requirement, but is grass fed, low carbon, Basically they get the milk up to the minimum required temperature and cool it as quick as they can. That's really the closest you can get to unpasteurized.

The whole-fat, vs. non-fat issue has little to do with "clean" eating. Skim milk is created by taking non-homogenized milk, letting it settle, and litterally "skimming" the fat from the top of the milk. I don't see how on earth that would make a difference in eating "clean".

Personally I'm not condoning eating clean or eating any other specific way. It's your own choice. I don't eat clean. I fugure everything we put into our bodies is a collection of chemicals, even carrots are essentially a container for beta-carotene and a bunch of other things. But that's just me. If you're cool with clean then go for it. If you don't lose weight on it then you were eating too much clean food. It shouldn't be considered a weight loss method.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    The only rule you have to follow is: anything you eat must have come from something that has been given a name, and you have to know that name.

If you know the name the of the cow that produced the milk/cheese product, you're good to go.

Vegetables are, of course, difficult. Because it takes a truly caring and attentive grower. But if it ain't difficult, it ain't worth it.

oh... this made me LOL
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I thought I had to

You don't "have to" do anything, especially not because some web site tells you to.

Anyway, you are discovering that "clean eating" is a rather nebulous term and a lot of people who claim to "eat clean" eat a lot of things their own rhetoric would indicate is not "clean."
  • Nikki_7680
    Options
    I didn't mean to start a debate with my questions. I have been fat for half of my life. I am just trying to improve the way I eat and hope that some of that pays off with a weight loss. I guess eating "fresh" is more of what I am going for. Fresh fruits, veggies, meats. Dishes that I prepare myself. Eating lowfat has not helped my situation. I know that "clean" to some people is no hormones and all organic. I am not interested in following those guidelines right now. So for those who eat "fresh", do you say yes or no to lowfat cheeses?
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Thank god we live in a country so privileged that people don't understand the dangers of things like "raw milk" and "no vaccinations." Seriously, we are really lucky we have to search for ways to potentially kill ourselves via preventable diseases.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    On milk...

It is unlawful to sell unpasteurized milk in the United States. Other countries do not always have such restrictions. This gives you slightly better access to "cleaner" milk, but increases your risk of disease. There are several localized dairies around the U.S. that will sell you low-pasteurized milk, that satisfies the legal requirement, but is grass fed, low carbon, Basically they get the milk up to the minimum required temperature and cool it as quick as they can. That's really the closest you can get to unpasteurized.

The whole-fat, vs. non-fat issue has little to do with "clean" eating. Skim milk is created by taking non-homogenized milk, letting it settle, and litterally "skimming" the fat from the top of the milk. I don't see how on earth that would make a difference in eating "clean".

Personally I'm not condoning eating clean or eating any other specific way. It's your own choice. I don't eat clean. I fugure everything we put into our bodies is a collection of chemicals, even carrots are essentially a container for beta-carotene and a bunch of other things. But that's just me. If you're cool with clean then go for it. If you don't lose weight on it then you were eating too much clean food. It shouldn't be considered a weight loss method

There's actually quite a few U.S. dairy farms that get around the law by selling cow 'shares'. I can 'buy' part of a cow from a local farm and get raw milk and technically it's not against the law. Local news even did a spot on them a while back and the reporter drank raw milk on tv lol. The majority of their milk goes to Horizon organic so it's a reputable and clean facility. Raw milk is out there, you just have to do some looking for it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    In to see if clean eating gets clarified, this time.
    popcorn2.gif
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    In to see if clean eating gets clarified, this time.
    popcorn2.gif

:laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to start a debate with my questions. I have been fat for half of my life. I am just trying to improve the way I eat and hope that some of that pays off with a weight loss. I guess eating "fresh" is more of what I am going for. Fresh fruits, veggies, meats. Dishes that I prepare myself. Eating lowfat has not helped my situation. I know that "clean" to some people is no hormones and all organic. I am not interested in following those guidelines right now. So for those who eat "fresh", do you say yes or no to lowfat cheeses?

No worries...this debate is never ending and is nothing new; you didn't start it.

Just eat a balanced diet and get your nutrition on...I eat about 4-6 servings of veg per day, a serving or two of fruit...plenty of lean proteins and healthy fats (low fat/no fat is just about the worst possible thing you could do...it will jack your hormones up) and yes, my diet is primarily focused around nutrient dense whole foods...but sometimes I eat stuff from a can or jar or I go out to eat and I like ice cream and have a passion for jelly beans like nobody else on this planet...and you can pry the beer from my cold dead hands.

Also, with the notion that "clean" generally means no to minimal processing, you'd be better off with just regular old cheese. My rule of thumb is that if it is something that naturally has fat in it, I'm not getting a low fat/no fat version of it...I'm going with the full fat product. For the most part, no fat/low fat products, they just replace the fat with unnecessary sugars and sodium for flavor. Do not be afraid of fat, fat doesn't make you fat...and low fat/no fat really is one of the absolute worst things you could do for weight loss considering the way it jacks your hormones around.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

For me, it would depend on how many calories I had for the day and whether or not I expect the cheese to melt.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

No worries...this debate is never ending and is nothing new; you didn't start it.

Just eat a balanced diet and get your nutrition on...I eat about 4-6 servings of veg per day, a serving or two of fruit...plenty of lean proteins and healthy fats (low fat/no fat is just about the worst possible thing you could do...it will jack your hormones up) and yes, my diet is primarily focused around nutrient dense whole foods...but sometimes I eat stuff from a can or jar or I go out to eat and I like ice cream and have a passion for jelly beans like nobody else on this planet...and you can pry the beer from my cold dead hands.
    Yes, in all seriousness, OP, rather than trying to get clarification on a subjective term, just keep it simple. Calculate a reasonable and sustainable calorie deficit for your goals, log everything, weigh everything and try meet your macro goals for overall health, plus try to incorporate some strength training to retain lean muscle mass. Optional: exercise for fitness and to be able to eat more. And don't deprive yourself of foods you enjoy.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

I eat fresh foods a lot, albeit non-exclusively. Dietary fat is important to your health; dietary fats from dairy in particular are helpful. Unless you're consuming a lot of other fatty foods, which you're probably not if it's mostly fruit and veggie and lean protein, then enjoy you your havarti and gouda.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    People have different definitions for the term "clean eating", because much like most diet terms, there is no 'official' definition.

But generally it means eating natural foods. If it seems unnatural to you, then don't eat.

I'm not sure how Cool Whip would ever be considered natural or whole or clean. That seems to be stretching the idea beyond it's limits IMO.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy from grass fed/grass finished cows and preferably unpasteurized/raw is the best.

Just a general safety notice:

All pregnant women, children, elderly, and immunocompromised people should AVOID unpasteurized dairy products at all risks. There is the risk of listeria, salmonella, e.coli, ect which could cause illness, death, or miscarriage. PLEASE AVOID

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/consumers/ucm079516.htm

Carry on with trying to figure out what clean eating means.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hello! A friend and I have decided to give Clean Eating (or maybe I should say "Fresh" Eating) a try for 30 days. I am on Day 5 and so far I think I have been doing pretty good. I have not eaten anything from a box or bag! Lots of fresh fruit and veggies and all my meat I have purchased at our local butcher. I am not eating all organic (please don't judge me on that. I still believe fresh is still a good option). My confusion is on diary. I thought I had to buy whole fat cheese since that's the most natural but a lot of sites on Clean Eating show nonfat diary or reduced fat dairy? So which should I be eating?? Also I saw another site that recommened eating strawberries with Cool Whip? I thought Cool Whip was processed? I also need guidance on bread. I know it needs to be Whole Wheat. Anything else I need to look for? Any tips on what to look for or stay away from would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

With respect to your dairy question, the answer is, it depends. Personally I prefer full fat dairy... to me it tastes better. That said, if I can't fit it into my macros I either get reduced fat or just pass on it altogether and have it the next day. Neither is better or worse. As long as you are getting adequate fat in your diet as a whole, nutritionally speaking you will be fine.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    On milk...

Personally I'm not condoning eating clean or eating any other specific way. It's your own choice. I don't eat clean. I fugure everything we put into our bodies is a collection of chemicals, even carrots are essentially a container for beta-carotene and a bunch of other things. But that's just me. If you're cool with clean then go for it. If you don't lose weight on it then you were eating too much clean food. It shouldn't be considered a weight loss method

There's actually quite a few U.S. dairy farms that get around the law by selling cow 'shares'. I can 'buy' part of a cow from a local farm and get raw milk and technically it's not against the law. Local news even did a spot on them a while back and the reporter drank raw milk on tv lol. The majority of their milk goes to Horizon organic so it's a reputable and clean facility. Raw milk is out there, you just have to do some looking for it.

Farms also get around it by selling unpasteurized milk 'not for human consumption'. Personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff unless it had just come out of the cow (and that sounds really nasty, so I probably wouldn't do it then, either :laugh: ). What I mean, is, fresh on the farm, yeah maybe. Take away to drink later? Hell, no. There's just too much potential for food poisoning. Listeria, E. coli, and Salmonella, oh my!