Should pre-workout snack be counted?

Replies

• cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    EAT MOAR
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    If she eats 45 cals then burns off 45 cals why should it be counted?

Finn_Confused.gif

what if it was a pre-workout rack of ribs?
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    i am hoping you eat a LOT MORE rest of the day. And even i am interested in finding out about 45 calorie banana :explode:
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    If she eats 45 cals then burns off 45 cals why should it be counted?

Finn_Confused.gif

what if it was a pre-workout rack of ribs?

lol.....I was tempted to mention pork belly
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    :laugh:
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Do some research and set a reasonable over all calorie level depending on your specific goal.

Get a food scale and weigh your food so you can get a more accurate picture of how many calories you're eating.

Log everything.

1710_01.gif
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    i am hoping you eat a LOT MORE rest of the day. And even i am interested in finding out about 45 calorie banana :explode:

Me, too. A medium-sized banana has @100-120 calories, so that 45 calorie banana must be...teeny. Teeny, tiny.

BANANA SHAMING!!!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    Remember that your body has to burn those banana calories ( or store them as fat).
    Anything going in your mouth should be counted.

There is no free lunch! :)
    This ^^^^^ :wink:
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    you should have a weekly deficit of 3500 calories for every pound you want to lose.

Yes but there is a caveat... as you get leaner your deficit needs to be reduced. Studies show the body can only access 30 calories per pound of fat. So get your body fat %, figure out how much fat you are carrying and multiply by 30. That will give you a ballpark of an appropriate deficit to shoot for. I have the study somewhere on my computer... if you want to see it I will dig it up.

That said OP, judging by your pic, weight loss is not your goal. So to answer your initial question, yes count the banana...
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Where did you find a 45 calorie banana?

Lol
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member

4368770144_55489128a2.jpg
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Yes. You should count everything that has calories.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Everything counts! Everything gets logged! :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    That's a really small banana.

:grumble:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Judging by the picture, I'm not sure the OP should be trying to lose a single ounce and I'm concerned about the rest of his diet.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    you should have a weekly deficit of 3500 calories for every pound you want to lose.

Yes but there is a caveat... as you get leaner your deficit needs to be reduced. Studies show the body can only access 30 calories per pound of fat. So get your body fat %, figure out how much fat you are carrying and multiply by 30. That will give you a ballpark of an appropriate deficit to shoot for. I have the study somewhere on my computer... if you want to see it I will dig it up.

That said OP, judging by your pic, weight loss is not your goal. So to answer your initial question, yes count the banana...

I don't mean to nitpick but I'd disagree that the theoretical transfer rate limit should indicate where you "should" set your deficit. I would suggest that if you are going to go by that paper (I believe you're referring to this one but please correct me if I'm wrong: A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615) you should instead treat it as a threshold at which exceeding said intake may result in LBM losses.

I'm only mentioning this because in some cases using the limits proposed by the above paper may set your deficit greater than what may be optimal for performance/adherence reasons.

It's certainly a fascinating idea though IMO.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Judging by the picture, I'm not sure the OP should be trying to lose a single ounce and I'm concerned about the rest of his diet.

+1

ETA quote.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member

4368770144_55489128a2.jpg

Most Thai Bananas are not quite as small as the one above but are smaller than the "usual western banana - compare the one on the left to the usual western one on the right in the pic below) and would be nearer to the 45 cals quoted. These are commonly seen on the street here often hot on the grill, or deep fried in a wok, or drowned in coconut milk.

4381997424_6b36dbe359_o.png

But there are hundreds of varieties here in Thailand, some limited to a particular region. As well as a huge variety of sizes, there are even a variety of different coloured bananas from yellow to red to black (no, not just very over-ripe). :laugh:

Thai Sweet Black Bananas:
    IMG_4262.jpg~320x480

See here for a few more picture examples
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/banana/msg122047276277.html

ETA typos
  • Lol! i actually measure everything so it really is 45 cals cause i only eat 50 grams of a banana (1/2 banana) and no i'm not trying to loose weight, i'm actually on reverse dieting, i usually save calories for intense cravings at night
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member

I don't mean to nitpick but I'd disagree that the theoretical transfer rate limit should indicate where you "should" set your deficit. I would suggest that if you are going to go by that paper (I believe you're referring to this one but please correct me if I'm wrong: A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615) you should instead treat it as a threshold at which exceeding said intake may result in LBM losses.

I'm only mentioning this because in some cases using the limits proposed by the above paper may set your deficit greater than what may be optimal for performance/adherence reasons.

It's certainly a fascinating idea though IMO.

Yes that's the paper. I agree 100%. It really is just a jumping off point to set a range. With everything, test and re-test. Thanks for bringing that up.