Should pre-workout snack be counted?

Replies

• GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Yes that's the paper. I agree 100%. It really is just a jumping off point to set a range. With everything, test and re-test. Thanks for bringing that up.

Paleojoe & Sidesteel--thanks for calling attention to this paper--very interesting to know!

Oh, and shaming Thai bananas is racist.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Lol! i actually measure everything so it really is 45 cals cause i only eat 50 grams of a banana (1/2 banana) and no i'm not trying to loose weight, i'm actually on reverse dieting, i usually save calories for intense cravings at night

Im not following.....So your counting calories to gain weight?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Lol! i actually measure everything so it really is 45 cals cause i only eat 50 grams of a banana (1/2 banana) and no i'm not trying to loose weight, i'm actually on reverse dieting, i usually save calories for intense cravings at night

Something wrong with that?
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member

Not at all. Just wondering why someone who needs to gain weight would be concerned about saving calories for later and bothering to count the calories of 1/2 a banana. Just eat the whole damn banana.
  • GGDaddy
  • GGDaddy
  • jonnythan

Not at all. Just wondering why someone who needs to gain weight would be concerned about saving calories for later and bothering to count the calories of 1/2 a banana. Just eat the whole damn banana.

Um. Because it's still possible to overeat when trying to gain weight...?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

At the OP's current size it's highly unlikely. He should eat the the whole damn banana....after dipping it in peanut butter. Gaining weight is extremely difficult for some people mainly because they have trouble eating enough cals. I agree with you that he definitely should be counting, but mostly to make sure he hits his minimum thresholds.

I've never seen any "gain weight" plan that had people limiting themselves to 50 or 100 calorie portions for snacks or meals. Measuring out banana bites damn near costs him more calories than he's consumes by eating it.
  • jonnythan

At the OP's current size it's highly unlikely. He should eat the the whole damn banana....after dipping it in peanut butter. Gaining weight is extremely difficult for some people mainly because they have trouble eating enough cals. I agree with you that he definitely should be counting, but mostly to make sure he hits his minimum thresholds.

I've never seen any "gain weight" plan that had people limiting themselves to 50 or 100 calorie portions for snacks or meals. Measuring out banana bites damn near costs him more calories than he's consumes by eating it.

Well we can't see the OP's diary. Who knows what he's eating later in the day.

Since when do we focus on making sure people get their calories at the right time of day?
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    I count everything.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Yes... log those cals. Even if you deposit something as small as a dollar into your bank account it is logged, right? Same thing here.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If she eats 45 cals then burns off 45 cals why should it be counted?

??? Unless the OP is also not counting the exercise then you point would workout out to calorie neutral. But if you put in MFP that you burned 50 cals, then that would be -50, when it should be 0.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member

Since when do we focus on making sure people get their calories at the right time of day?

Perhaps he needs one of these with his banana.

20130926_123628-1_20130926131325730.jpg
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Someone who is trying to gain weight (or lose it ) and measuring out 50g worth of a banana to stay within a self-imposed 45 calorie limit has a true problem and I don't think anyone here is qualified to advise someone with such an issue.

OP, seek help from a nutritionist definitely and a psychiatrist probably.
  • jonnythan

Perhaps he needs one of these with his banana.

20130926_123628-1_20130926131325730.jpg

You're only looking at about 700 calories there. Almost every single sandwich on the Panera menu has more calories than what you see in that picture. I'm not even kidding. By quick count, out of 18 sandwiches on the Panera menu, 12 have more calories, including 10 of 11 "signature" or hot sandwiches.
  • jonnythan
    Someone who is trying to gain weight (or lose it ) and measuring out 50g worth of a banana to stay within a self-imposed 45 calorie limit has a true problem and I don't think anyone here is qualified to advise someone with such an issue.

OP, seek help from a nutritionist definitely and a psychiatrist probably.

This is a massive leap. We don't know what his diet is like.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Do some research and set a reasonable over all calorie level depending on your specific goal.

Get a food scale and weigh your food so you can get a more accurate picture of how many calories you're eating.

Log everything.

1710_01.gif

A food scale changed my life *crying hysterically*.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Yes.

And there is NO WAY a whole banana is just 45 cals.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Yes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Am I looking at my watch? I couldn't care what time he eats, he just needs to eat. I would bet a large sum of money he's not consuming enough food at ANY time, including his "late night binges".

Most of these guys don't have the appetite to scarf down 2000-3000 in a single sitting or a short window, so they are much better served eating what they can, when they can.

And do you really think that a guy that would measure out half a banana is going hog wild at other parts of the day? Dubious, highly dubious