Daily weigh in question

Options
For those of you who do daily weigh ins how do you determine the weight to use for MFP? I was going to do weekly weigh ins but it has occurred to me that if I do so I may not have an accurate accounting of my weight because I could weigh myself on that one day when I have gained weight. The perfect example is this week when I weighed in and had gained back a pound then did so the next day and was actually down 3.

I won't do daily weigh ins if they are disheartening for me but am curious how others do it so I can try it for myself for a bit.

Replies

• GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning and again at night and use the higher. I drift about 1-3 pounds during the day(not really sure why). I don't always remember to post the weight though. I was actually going to post a question about how often to weigh in.

Don't get disheartened!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just entered the weight every day at first. After a while you see a pattern, and you know when it's not even worth it to weigh yourself lol. Now I just record my low weights, and I weigh myself every day for 2 weeks then no more for 2 weeks, depending on my menstrual cycle pretty much.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much daily, but I only log on Friday mornings - no matter what it says.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, first thing in the morning and log it x
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much daily, but I only log on Friday mornings - no matter what it says.

This. But on Mondays.
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, in the morning at roughly the same time, no clothes (door shut :wink: ) after my workout and before I eat breakfast....pretty strict on it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after waking and using the restroom, and in the same clothes (t-shirt and underwear) every day. I never weigh at any other time of the day.

I only log a loss when I have sustained it for 3 days or longer.

I don't really log gains, but that is because they never last for more than 1-2 days (sodium, water retention).
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, same time, and input into excel. I only log into MFP my Wed and Sun weight...regardless if its up or down. The way I look at it weight loss isn't linear but as long as you are trending downward, you are GOLDEN.
  • L33TBl0nde
    L33TBl0nde Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I kinda weigh myself when I feel like it. Mostly, if I felt like a had a fat week/month or if I had a skinny week/month....

There's no pattern. But I would never weigh myself everyday. There's so many things that can change your weight alot, even if you did "loose" or get more fit. Like, water intake and muscle gain.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    While I weigh myself daily, I just use what it says on weigh in day. I understand what you mean,there was a day last week I was up 5 lbs over my weigh in day wait, almost made me cry. That also happened to be the day after an unseasonably warm and humid day. Sure enough, next weigh in day, I showed 2 lbs down from my weigh in weight. Your weight will fluctuate, but it will also even out over time. I'm losing 8-10 lbs a month, even though I may have 2-3 weeks showing at the same weight or down only 1 lb. At some point the scale will simply jump like 4-5 lbs down from the prior week. Keep plodding along, the numbers with rectify themselves.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

This. But on Mondays.

Like this but only on Saturdays (other than this week when I have been a weigh and log maniac as I needed to get to underland! Now that I am there I will go back to Saturday logging only.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I only log new lows on MFP.

I also enter my daily weights into excel and plot trend lines and averages and stuff. :love:
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, in the morning at roughly the same time, no clothes (door shut :wink: ) after my workout and before I eat breakfast....pretty strict on it.

^^ This! LOL. Every morning, around the same time, same scenario - I like it because I can see my patterns. I need and like the daily check-in with myself, I am not one of those people that can just wait a week to see what's going on!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, same time, and input into excel. I only log into MFP my Wed and Sun weight...regardless if its up or down. The way I look at it weight loss isn't linear but as long as you are trending downward, you are GOLDEN.

I do pretty much exactly this .. yes I have a spreadsheet too. I just like numbers.

I log my weight into MFP whenever it goes down vs my previous MFP check in.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I weigh (and report) daily, typically in the mornings.

Focus on the trends, and ignore the natural fluctuations.
  • cliff948
    cliff948 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

This. But on Mondays.
    [/quote

This, after I get dressed but before breakfast.
    Cliff {:{)]
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone called "True weight." I weigh every day and log it there. I highly recommend it, because it takes away some of the psychological stuff that happens with normal weight fluctuations by tracking the trend of your weight. I have digestion issues and my weight can swing 5-8 pounds in one day. Even if I weigh really high, I don't freak out because I always come back down to what the app predicts. It's really cool, and free! I will enter a change on MFP if it lasts for more than a week.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I record it if I'm down more than .4 pounds; if I go back up I wait a few days and it always goes back to a new low.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I enter the weight that the scale says every morning. I'm not sure I understand the question.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning first thing, and every night before I go to bed. As soon as I see at least a half pound difference for more than one day, I log it on MFP.