Daily weigh in question

Options

Replies

• slgthatsme
    Options
    I have an app on my phone called "True weight." I weigh every day and log it there. I highly recommend it, because it takes away some of the psychological stuff that happens with normal weight fluctuations by tracking the trend of your weight. I have digestion issues and my weight can swing 5-8 pounds in one day. Even if I weigh really high, I don't freak out because I always come back down to what the app predicts. It's really cool, and free! I will enter a change on MFP if it lasts for more than a week.

This sounds interesting. I will check it out. I am tempted to log my lowest weight every week for inspiration purposes lol
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've stopped weighing every day because I'm an obsessor! I've been focusing in eating the correct amount, getting my step goal of 12,000 steps in daily, and doing my workouts. I weigh about every 2 weeks now, and find that it works better for me to see my progress on a longer time line, versus my old habit of freaking out in the morning because "OH NO I GAINED HALF A POUND YESTERDAY!!!!" when my logical side knows that, no, I didn't gain a half a pound, I ate the right amount of calories but am possibly retaining water, or a million other factors.

Figure out what works for you. Some people prefer to weigh every day, some people prefer to give more time between weigh ins.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I weight 10 thousand times a day LOLOL wishing the weight away faster !! But I only log the lowest number I see on the scale so if it jumps up a lb , I work twice as hard to get it back down . For some reason this helps keep me mentally to stay on track better. I am a weirdo !
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I dont do the daily weigh ins now that I am pregnant, I only weigh in weekly, sometimes semi-weekly to be sure I am not gaining too much.
    I used to weigh in every day and log my exact weigh in every day. Most days I would lose, the gain days were usually fractions of a pound so I didnt let it concern me.
    It is kind of fun to see the progress chart when doing it that way.
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    My issue with logging my weight every day is that everyone sees it. I don't want to show the ups and downs that much. By logging my lowest weight I know that I am not weighing water weight, bloating or what have you. Maybe that's wrong? Like I said I haven't logged anything but once a week weigh in so far.
  • EandA85
    EandA85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, in the morning. I record a "new low" of a half pound or more. Sometimes I wait until I see that number 2-3x before I log it if I have a feeling it might be a fluke.

It averages out to updating my MFP weight 1-2x/week.

I do not record the 1-3 lb increases I have on occasion. They always trend back down. If they were persistant (say, over 2 weeks) I might log it but that hasn't happened yet.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after waking and using the restroom, and in the same clothes (t-shirt and underwear) every day. I never weigh at any other time of the day.

I only log a loss when I have sustained it for 3 days or longer.

I don't really log gains, but that is because they never last for more than 1-2 days (sodium, water retention).

^^Pretty much i do this
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone called "True weight." I weigh every day and log it there. I highly recommend it, because it takes away some of the psychological stuff that happens with normal weight fluctuations by tracking the trend of your weight. I have digestion issues and my weight can swing 5-8 pounds in one day. Even if I weigh really high, I don't freak out because I always come back down to what the app predicts. It's really cool, and free! I will enter a change on MFP if it lasts for more than a week.

This sounds interesting. I will check it out. I am tempted to log my lowest weight every week for inspiration purposes lol

I use this app too.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I log everyday, because I will forget. I could use another method but meh that's how I use MPF.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh. Period. Last time I stepped on the scale was in mid June wearing a very tight size 18. July 1 was my day of reckoning... totally changed the way I eat and walk atleast 5 miles a day -- most days. Work has gotten in the way of the 5 mile hike, but I try to make up for it on weekends.

Today -- November 20 -- I have no idea what I weigh... but I am now wearing a slightly snug size 12 or a little-on-the-baggy side size 14... I'll step on the scale again when I can get into a size 8... I have never worn a size 8 in my entire life.

I believe my sucess is in part because I stopped obsessing about the number on the scale... I was -- at a minimum --a 5 times a day weigher...pushing the scale from room to room, trying to find the "skinniest" spot to weigh in... was making me crazy and frustrated... I'd think I had a good day -- step on the scale -- ooops gained a pound or 2... I am smart enough to realize that it was probably water weight...but it was still so frustrating and would end up eating junk -- figured if I was going to "behave" myself and gain weight, I might as well eat what I THOUGHT I really wanted to eat and to hell with it all...

I eat healthy. I take vitamins....and I am truly -- for probably the first time in my life -- enjoying the real taste of food....more important... I am satisfied AND I still have a glass of wine every night... some things I refuse to part with :-)
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and consistently after my morning... uhm... bathroom ritual. I find that seeing all the ups and downs that make up the overall downward trend of my weight loss helps keep me sane when I gain a little water weight or whatever. Some people really freak out when the scale goes up, though, so it's not for everyone.
    My issue with logging my weight every day is that everyone sees it.

Go to 'Settings', click on 'Automatic News Feed Update Settings' and uncheck the box that says to update your news feed when you've lost weight. Problem solved. :smile:
  • babeontherun
    Options
    I've stopped weighing every day because I'm an obsessor! I've been focusing in eating the correct amount, getting my step goal of 12,000 steps in daily, and doing my workouts. I weigh about every 2 weeks now, and find that it works better for me to see my progress on a longer time line, versus my old habit of freaking out in the morning because "OH NO I GAINED HALF A POUND YESTERDAY!!!!" when my logical side knows that, no, I didn't gain a half a pound, I ate the right amount of calories but am possibly retaining water, or a million other factors.

Figure out what works for you. Some people prefer to weigh every day, some people prefer to give more time between weigh ins.

Same here. I obsess too much. I'm just focusing on improving my habits right now and plan to weigh-in on the 1st each month.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily.

Enter the weight in to a tracker that reports trends.

I log the trend every Friday.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It all evens out in the end. Just pick a day and stick with it. I also weigh daily but only count my Saturday morning one. If it's up, oh well.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself very often anymore since I am basically at my goal...however, don't over complicate it. Pick a day, that's your weigh in day. When I was losing if I had a day where I was up a little on my weigh in day I just didn't log it because I knew it was going to come off eventually. Only log gains if they stick around.
  • TaxPrepLiz
    TaxPrepLiz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and whenever I hit a new low, I log it. There is too much fluctuation (as you've noticed) even with weekly weigh ins. As long as I'm not at the same/higher weight for more than 2wks I'm good. And that hasn't happened yet, been losing consistently just by logging my new lower weight. This also gives me the motivation to hit that weight again and I usually end up under :happy:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My issue with logging my weight every day is that everyone sees it. I don't want to show the ups and downs that much. By logging my lowest weight I know that I am not weighing water weight, bloating or what have you. Maybe that's wrong? Like I said I haven't logged anything but once a week weigh in so far.

I just now saw this. If you feel you have to weigh in daily, do so, but only log the weight once a week maybe?
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily first thing in the morning before my shower, and only log losses. Very seldom does the weight go up, and even then it's back down in a couple of days. As a diabetic, my weight can fluctuate depending on the carbs I eat. I like to be able to tell which carbs cause problems for my weight loss so that I can avoid them until I'm ready for maintenance. It's strange, though. Even if I'm up a little, it doesn't bother me like it used to, or make me discouraged. I'm in this for the long haul - I'll hit goal sometime and enjoy the journey.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and evening. I log new lows only on MFP but I record my daily weight and calculate the trend using pen and paper. After nine months, I'm pretty comfortable with the fluctuations and in the accuracy of my caloric intake. I know the last few pounds are just a matter of time.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate in circles, so when i hit the new lowest low i log that then it goes up and comes down. I maintain that my body weight is always that low weight, the rest is fluid, food, and heavier muscles/TOM related bits at any given time. It always seems to eventually circle back down to a new low, then i log that.