WAPF and Traditional Foods

Options
Just looking for some fellow WAPFers. Anyone out there? I aspire to 80/20 but am currently 70/30 Primal/WAPF and would love to find others who are into the traditional food lifestyle :)

Replies

• Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I thought maybe i would give a little information about WAPF for those of you unfamiliar. These guidelines are taken directly from the Weston A. Price Foundation website http://www.westonaprice.org/ . Some of them are a bit strict for me, I mean don't tell me what pots and pans to cook in and if I have really clean well water then I probably wouldn't filter it, and I would NEVER use stevia. That said I appreciate the practice of a WAPF lifestyle and have found my body and mind to function much more happily since I began 6 months ago.

1. Eat whole, natural foods.
    2.Eat only foods that will spoil, but eat them before they do.
    3.Eat naturally-raised meat including fish, seafood, poultry, beef, lamb, game, organ meats and eggs.
    4.Eat whole, naturally-produced milk products from pasture-fed cows, preferably raw and/or fermented, such as whole yogurt, cultured butter, whole cheeses and fresh and sour cream.
    5.Use only traditional fats and oils including butter and other animal fats, extra virgin olive oil, expeller expressed sesame and flax oil and the tropical oils—coconut and palm.
    6.Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably organic, in salads and soups, or lightly steamed.
    7.Use whole grains and nuts that have been prepared by soaking, sprouting or sour leavening to neutralize phytic acid and other anti-nutrients.
    8.Include enzyme-enhanced lacto-fermented vegetables, fruits, beverages and condiments in your diet on a regular basis.
    9.Prepare homemade meat stocks from the bones of chicken, beef, lamb or fish and use liberally in soups and sauces.
    10.Use herb teas and coffee substitutes in moderation.
    11.Use filtered water for cooking and drinking.
    12.Use unrefined Celtic sea salt and a variety of herbs and spices for food interest and appetite stimulation.
    13.Make your own salad dressing using raw vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and expeller expressed flax oil.
    14.Use natural sweeteners in moderation, such as raw honey, maple syrup, dehydrated cane sugar juice and stevia powder.
    15.Use only unpasteurized wine or beer in strict moderation with meals.
    16.Cook only in stainless steel, cast iron, glass or good quality enamel.
    17.Use only natural supplements.
    18.Get plenty of sleep, exercise and natural light.
    19.Think positive thoughts and minimize stress.
    20.Practice forgiveness.

I probably will get a slaying for posting this but let's keep in mind folks that we all are working through our own ways to find health and wellness for our bodies. This may not work for you but it does work for me and others may find this info helpful :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Do you honestly think a world population of 7.125 billion can achieve this?
  • Lizzard_77
    Options

That's not the point *palm to forhead*. This works for me and many others I know, simply trying to provide information and a different point of view :)
  • FredDoyle
    Options

That's not the point *palm to forhead*. This works for me and many others I know, simply trying to provide information and a different point of view :)
    Does that make you the chosen few then? I'd prefer to make a solution for everyone.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Does that make you the chosen few then? I'd prefer to make a solution for everyone.

There already is a solution for everyone. "Eat Less/Move More". No person "made" the solution, it just exists with how our bodies are made to work.

"Chosen Few.- It's how each person decides to carry that solution out that differs.

You sound hangry. Chill out. The OP was sharing what works for them. Not a big deal.
  • Lizzard_77
    Options

If the chosen few include most of the traditional world cultures then yes, I am one, and proud to be so. These concepts are based off the lifestyles of a traditional diet. My family and friends in India follow this lifestyle without even knowing it. I have even been scolded by more than one Auntie for not soaking my rice and dals before cooking with them due to causing stomach upset. I have no reason to judge any one on their choices of what to put in their body. My aim is to open eyes and minds to other ways so they can use that information and make an educated decision on how they would choose to live their lives. Never go into something blindly and never stop learning.
  • Lizzard_77
    Options

"Chosen Few.- It's how each person decides to carry that solution out that differs.

You sound hangry. Chill out. The OP was sharing what works for them. Not a big deal.

Exactly! Thank you!

I am not trying to convert anyone or preach what should or shouldn't be done. Why does everything have to turn into an argument. We are all here to share, support, and grow. At least that is why I am here!
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Number 2 and Number 14 are in contention. Honey never spoils, but it then tells you to use it as a sweetener. I don't know what to do here.

Rice also never expires. Should I eat it?

Also, salt never expires. Clearly, I shouldn't eat that either. Nothing bad every happens to people who never eat salt!
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Weston A Price is unsustainable going forward. I highly doubt your Indian relatives are eating pasture fed animals, and if they are, they are of a privileged caste.
    It's fine to eat however you can, but WAPF holds values that are unrealistic for the majority of an ever increasing population.

Besides that, Weston A. Price was a crank dentist whose followers spun the idea of "the noble savage" into pseudoscience on a new level...highly regarded by alternative medicine (read: unproven), naturopaths, homeopaths, and assorted magical thinkers.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/holisticdent.html

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Weston_Price
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Actually more people than you imagine and a great number of the world population actually naturally eat like this. I have lived the last 41 years in 16 different countries and all except Germany, the US and Japan were developing/emerging or 3rd world countries were pretty much eating like this ( about 80% with the other 20% still being free of chemically enhanced food ). Of course for citizens of industrialized countries and especially those of the US this is difficult to even imagine.
    I did not know until about 20 minutes ago that this style of eating even has a name.......but I have enjoyed living like this for decades now and because of it never have had problems adjusting to a new country and new cuisine. Well, except in the US when I lived in the Northern Mid West....
  • Ang108
    Options
    Weston A Price is unsustainable going forward. I highly doubt your Indian relatives are eating pasture fed animals, and if they are, they are of a privileged caste.
    It's fine to eat however you can, but WAPF holds values that are unrealistic for the majority of an ever increasing population.

Besides that, Weston A. Price was a crank dentist whose followers spun the idea of "the noble savage" into pseudoscience on a new level...highly regarded by alternative medicine (read: unproven), naturopaths, homeopaths, and assorted magical thinkers.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/holisticdent.html

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Weston_Price

What you are saying makes no sense. " Pasture fed " is a US denomination. Why would India or any other country use a US denomination for their own local live stock for local consumption. India is a very bad example, because about 82% of the people are vegetarians anyway.......
  • Lizzard_77
    Options

What you are saying makes no sense. " Pasture fed " is a US denomination. Why would India or any other country use a US denomination for their own local live stock for local consumption. India is a very bad example, because about 82% of the people are vegetarians anyway.......

I mentioned India originally because my family eats this way as you say, naturally. They are vegetarians but they do practice a traditional diet. I absolute agree with you that many cultures eat this way naturally and it can be sustainable simply because their food constructs just aren't set up the way ours are in the US.

Regardless, this was not a post to start a flame war. It was providing more information about a way of eating and lifestyle that many practice and enjoy.
  • Ang108
    Options

If the chosen few include most of the traditional world cultures then yes, I am one, and proud to be so. These concepts are based off the lifestyles of a traditional diet. My family and friends in India follow this lifestyle without even knowing it. I have even been scolded by more than one Auntie for not soaking my rice and dals before cooking with them due to causing stomach upset. I have no reason to judge any one on their choices of what to put in their body. My aim is to open eyes and minds to other ways so they can use that information and make an educated decision on how they would choose to live their lives. Never go into something blindly and never stop learning.

I am originally from Germany , but have for the last 40 or so years worked in Humanitarian Aid & Development mostly in 3rd world and non-developed countries and agree that most people on this planet eat the way you have described. Over time ( through no choice of my own, because circumstances dictated it) I started to adopt a more traditional way of using/eating and preparing food. I have an MA in Food Science and because of it I learned really fast that it makes a lot of sense to eat this way , it works for me and millions of other people.
    However I don't broadcast my lifestyle much, because it is personal to me and because I got really tired really fast of dealing with those people who think their food is perfect because it's available in every supermarket and only costs 49 cents and cannot think beyond the borders of their narrowly defined world......at least as far as food and nutrition is concerned.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Number 2 and Number 14 are in contention. Honey never spoils, but it then tells you to use it as a sweetener. I don't know what to do here.

Rice also never expires. Should I eat it?

Also, salt never expires. Clearly, I shouldn't eat that either. Nothing bad every happens to people who never eat salt!

I am curious about this as well.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    WAPF!!!!!

That's the sound it makes when you hit someone upside the head!

WAPF!!!!!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    WAPF!!!!!

That's the sound it makes when you hit someone upside the head!

WAPF!!!!!

Yeah it does!

WAPF!!
    slap-gif-14.gif
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Super interested in this thread and where it's headed. Also, I'd like to see some answers to the questions posed above.

Jenna+Marbles+maybe+I+should+start+jogging+haha.gif
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Super interested in this thread and where it's headed. Also, I'd like to see some answers to the questions posed above.

Jenna+Marbles+maybe+I+should+start+jogging+haha.gif

How I'm feeling about my questions:

20c9c_ORIG-op_will_deliver.jpg
  • sjohnny
    Options
    WAPF!
    wesly_slap.gif?1336150779