2»

Replies

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

How I'm feeling about my questions:

20c9c_ORIG-op_will_deliver.jpg

AijcM.png

I can't believe we've made it this far without a cat.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    No
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Cat WAPF!

Cat_c45b34_1916931.gif
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Cat WAPF!

Cat_c45b34_1916931.gif
    Looool.... This is the only thing I've felt bad about laughing at all day.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Number 2 and Number 14 are in contention. Honey never spoils, but it then tells you to use it as a sweetener. I don't know what to do here.

Rice also never expires. Should I eat it?

Also, salt never expires. Clearly, I shouldn't eat that either. Nothing bad every happens to people who never eat salt!

Well, a little common sense should reign here............... I am not going to explain it either as it will be a waste of time beings you are clearly looking to try and argue.

If you stop and think about it................number 2 and 14 are not in contention with one another. That is where common sense comes into play.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Weston A Price is unsustainable going forward. I highly doubt your Indian relatives are eating pasture fed animals, and if they are, they are of a privileged caste.
    It's fine to eat however you can, but WAPF holds values that are unrealistic for the majority of an ever increasing population.

Besides that, Weston A. Price was a crank dentist whose followers spun the idea of "the noble savage" into pseudoscience on a new level...highly regarded by alternative medicine (read: unproven), naturopaths, homeopaths, and assorted magical thinkers.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/holisticdent.html

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Weston_Price

This comment is ignorant and offensive. I live with Inuit. I have eyes. It's "magical" that food affects health? I'm so tired of people like you.

So, manufacturing "foods" in factories from farms where cash crops (ie the least nutritious foods, but most subsidized) fertilized with petroleum products instead of a natural nutrient cycle is sustainable for an "ever increasing population"? According to my research and first hand experience, very wrong.

Crank dentist. So what do you suppose caused the sudden bone deformities and tooth decay after colonization? So the entire anthropological record is just "psuedoscience" too?
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Number 2 and Number 14 are in contention. Honey never spoils, but it then tells you to use it as a sweetener. I don't know what to do here.

Rice also never expires. Should I eat it?

Also, salt never expires. Clearly, I shouldn't eat that either. Nothing bad every happens to people who never eat salt!

Well, a little common sense should reign here...............since you can't seem to figure out what the OP was saying when they posted the guidelines, I am not going to explain it either as it will be a waste of time beings you are clearly looking to try and argue.

If you stop and think about it................number 2 and 14 are not in contention with one another. That is where common sense comes into play.

Except they are. If I say "avoid all meat" and later said "eat chicken" I am contradicting myself, even if I said they were "guidelines." Maybe they could have used common sense in creating these "guidelines" instead?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Cat WAPF!

Cat_c45b34_1916931.gif

Well...

...that was mean.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Cat WAPF!

Cat_c45b34_1916931.gif

Well...

...that was mean.

Cats are *kitten*.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would like to first say, I love these questions. This has become such a part of my daily life that I just do instead of thinking about why. This is stretching my brain a bit and I've been able to go back to some things that I learned long ago and have simply become habit for me. I will answer everything to the best of my ability and if I can't I will try to direct you to sources that can be more thorough. I am not, and do not claim to be, an expert on this topic and I try to learn more every day. I started this thread to find other folks in the community who practice a similar lifestyle in hopes to exchange knowledge. That said, here goes....

I can't speak to the dentistry end of this topic, only to my personal experience. You can follow this link to read more from Weston A. Price:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/dentistry

This is also a book that many have used to find relief from tooth decay and gum disease. I have not read it but have put some practices from it into use through my own research and experimentation:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cure-Tooth-Decay-Cavities-Nutrition-ebook/dp/B004GB0JIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385128280&sr=8-1&keywords=heal+tooth+decay

Early last year I visited the dentist for the first time in many years due to lack of insurance and admittedly some fear. I had horribly calcified teeth and advanced gum disease. I began a regime of visiting the dentist every three months as well as brushing 3 times a day with their recommended toothpaste and flossing after every meal. I didn't expect a quick recovery but when there had been little change after 15 months I began to look into alternative methods of healing my mouth. I began oil pulling to draw out the toxins in my gums and teeth. I made a remineralizing toothpaste composed from research on what our teeth need to be healthy, I began apply dilute essential oils to my floss and my gums before bed, and I began taking Butter oil/Fermented Cod Liver oil capsules. My hygienist was shocked after three months of this regime at the improvement. And most recently after 6 months of this regime I no longer have any watches on possible cavities and I do not have to return for 4 months instead of 3. I feel that using these "quack" methods have healed my gum disease far better than mainstream methods. Not advocating for anyone, simply providing my experience.

As far as the question of guideline 2 and 14 being contradictory. Yes on the face they are. As far as eating food that can spoil, this suggests staying away from highly processed and refined foods that have been created not to spoil through the use of bleaching, pasteurization, additives, preservatives etc. I certainly advocate eating grass-fed/finished meat when possible but there are weeks that I simply cannot afford to get out to my farm and purchase it. However, I won't then turn to TVP for my protein source. I would supplement my diet with sprouted, soaked, or soured grains and legumes for nourishment and protein.

I think this comparison heeds common sense. Of course rice, salt and honey will not spoil AND they are whole food items that can be beneficial when eaten in moderation. Simply stated, food should be eaten in it's most whole and natural state as opposed to eating an alternative item that is made up of a long ingredient list of simulated chemical processes. When I do buy packaged food, which can be a necessity at times, I look for an item with the shortest ingredient list and usually if I don't know what an ingredient is on that list, I will likely put that item back.

We can argue semantics over these guidelines all day. Everyone is going to find fault in something and intrinsically nothing is perfect. As I stated in my original post, I think suggesting what types of pots and pans I should use is pretty ridiculous. But I do find truth in many of the other guidelines. Again, these are guidelines and not hard fast rules for finding a return to traditional lifestyles.

I think Sally Fallon said it well in her book Nourishing Traditions:
    "Each person's ideal diet is usually discovered through a combination of study, observation, and intuition, a process designed to replace that mysterious, infallible instinct that guided primitive [people] to the foods [they] needed to keep [them] healthy and strong."

As I have stated, I am not looking to convert anyone or preach. As I go through my own journey of study, observation, and intuition, I have found the concepts put forward by the Weston A. Price Foundation and subsequently Sally Fallon to be a good match for me. They are not perfect, I am not perfect, no one is perfect. But I do try to educate myself to the best of my ability and draw conclusions based on that education. And by education I mean reading as much as possible, speaking with those who are knowledgeable in a variety of topics, taking classes, reading sited sources.

For those of you who would like to know more about Dr Price and some of his research, you can follow this link to download his book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration:
    http://butterbeliever.com/nutrition-and-physical-degeneration-free/
  • jennymoonstar
    Options
    Just want to point out that pastured animals is a sustainable way of eating even for the growing population. If done right it builds soil...something that is diminishing at an alarming rate. It sequesters carbon. High density stocking with good rotations produces a lot of food. The cost to the farmers is less because feed is not needed. Check out Allan Savory's work. Pastured animal raising can help regenerate the planet and is the healthiest meat choice for our bodies. And if it is adopted by more farmers it can be accessible to even the poor. Healthy soil, healthy animals, healthy people. The more nutrient dense the food the less of it we need. How much energy and food resources are wasted on the manufacturing and advertising of crap food? If we put that toward creating quality food everyone would benefit. That is a solution for everyone.