lost 32 pounds 8 weeks confused

Hello everyone.

First post. I started my lifestyle change 8 weeks ago. I am 5 for 8 and weighed 195 pounds and 37 years of age. I'm down to 163 as of today. In my twenties I held steady at 145.

I have just changed my diet and cut out mega portions and all fast food. I eat around 1600 calories a day and I exercise about an hour a day moderate to high intensity cardio and strength training. I also cut all pop and tea and drink 8-10 cups of water a day. Nothing magically but I've been very consistent for 8 weeks straight.

I feel like it's coming off to fast. Please any advice would be great. Thanks in advanced

Joe

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    That's 4 pounds per week. You are eating 1600 calories (obviously clean calories) and you exercise for an hour a day.

If you think you are losing weight too quickly....bump up your calorie intake by a couple hundred calories.

How do you feel during exercise? You really need to judge this by how you feel. People are going to tell you to lose 2lbs a week....and that's a safe number. That's a general guideline...not a rule.

What does your diet look like?
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    After the first few days a sustainable weight loss of around 1% of your bodyweight per week is a ideal. Your rate is indeed too fast and is likely a higher percentage of lean body mass than desirable.

Be sure you understand the difference between weight loss and fat loss. Fast weight loss likely includes a higher rate of loss of lean body tissue, not a good thing.

My suggestion would be to do less cardio. You don't have to do an hour a day for health benefits. Skip to every other day,and eat some extra calories around your workouts to minimize lean tissue loss.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    My breakfast is oatmeal with walnuts and 20gram protein shake. Lunch is brown rice with steak strips or grilled chicken strips. Smack apple & protein shake. Dinner normally spinach or other vegatables with grilled chicken. Water with every meal. I do take a calicum supplement
  • indianarunner76
    I do understand and researched the difference in lean muscle loss and fat loss. That is what I'm afraid I'm losing muscle. During cardio I feel great. Haven't been able to run in ten years so I look forward to it. Usually run thirty min and the bike the remaining thirty.
  • Ibleedlipstick
    Ibleedlipstick Posts: 33 Member
    I personally lost about as much in my first two months, but it has slowed drastically since then (I've lost about 3lbs in the past month.) I'm not too worried, because I feel good and my endurance has been increasing as it should. I wouldn't worry if you are able to meet your nutritional goals and you still feel good.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Pat yourself on the back and keep up the great work. When you have excess amount of fat too lose, one can easily lose 4lb/week if calories are in a substantial deficit along with a good amount of exercise. I have been there, done that. However if you feel drained you should up your calorie intake and add some "whole food" supplements to your diet.
  • indianarunner76
    I personally lost about as much in my first two months, but it has slowed drastically since then (I've lost about 3lbs in the past month.) I'm not too worried, because I feel good and my endurance has been increasing as it should. I wouldn't worry if you are able to meet your nutritional goals and you still feel good.

Thank you for the comment. I feel great. Just been waiting for this to slow down but haven't. I'm sure as I get closer to goal they will.
  • indianarunner76
    Pat yourself on the back and keep up the great work. When you have excess amount of fat too lose, one can easily lose 4lb/week if calories are in a substantial deficit along with a good amount of exercise. I have been there, done that. However if you feel drained you should up your calorie intake and add some "whole food" supplements to your diet.

Thank you. I feel great. I guess everyone loses differently. I will definitely take your advice on whole food supplements
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    WOW that is a lot, but if you are doing it in a healthy way it should slow down. Just don't get discouraged when it does slow down a bit.
  • hwoeltjen
    How many grams of protein are you getting per day?
  • indianarunner76
    Around 80 grams. Today I got 96 grams
  • hwoeltjen
    How much fat? I guess a shorter way to ask this...what are your macros set at ? Do you track them?

Make sure you are getting enough fat/carbs in your diet. Seems like you get enough protein for sure. Again, this all depends on how you feel.

The only thing I would warn you about is fat. Don't get enough fat and you could be doing a number on your hormones.
  • indianarunner76
    How much fat? I guess a shorter way to ask this...what are your macros set at ? Do you track them?

Make sure you are getting enough fat/carbs in your diet. Seems like you get enough protein for sure. Again, this all depends on how you feel.

The only thing I would warn you about is fat. Don't get enough fat and you could be doing a number on your hormones.

I keep track fairly accurate. Approximately 56 percent carbs 24 protein 20 fat.
  • indianarunner76

Thanks for the help. I usually get fats from walnuts and other nuts and eggs
  • JenLakersFan
    JenLakersFan Posts: 26 Member
    I say keep it up!!!! Woot woot!
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Wish I had this problem!!
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    who cares, thats so awesome, wish i could lose it that fast, many congrat!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    My breakfast is oatmeal with walnuts and 20gram protein shake. Lunch is brown rice with steak strips or grilled chicken strips. Smack apple & protein shake. Dinner normally spinach or other vegatables with grilled chicken. Water with every meal. I do take a calicum supplement

I wouldn't worry about that rate of loss but do start to think about how you're going to eat when you're off the diet. This above looks very healthy but very repetitive and restrictive. The problem is sometimes we've been deprived of variety for so long, and are not prepared with 'rest of your life maintenance' type menus, and we regain because we eat totally unrestricted when not dieting. Try to find a good range of foods and menus you can still work with later.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Most people lose a lot more in the first 4-6 weeks when they first start. A lot of that is extra water weight. How many pounds did you lose just in the past 2 weeks? Are you still losing 4 pounds per week?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I'm saying not enough protein. Should be about 1 g per pound lean body mass. Plus you should have more emphasis on strength training than cardio. You should also be eating way more. I'm 5'7 and currently 200 pounds, I cut at about 2500-3000 per day.

You only had about 50 pounds of weight to lose, shouldn't be losing more than a pound a week at that amount.